Bushbabies: Lesser Bushbaby

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks
bishop3006
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Bushbabies: Lesser Bushbaby

Unread post by bishop3006 » Mon May 11, 2009 8:56 pm

I had to go search far for this thread!

We have at least one bushbaby in the yard - having seen only one at any one time, and not often, only a couple of times. And seldom hear them as well.

Here's where they stay, which we unfortunately have to start taking down.

From the one side:

The other side:

From below:

That mess has become so heavy that it is pulling the one tree down, lifting the paving and soon the stoep as well, since that's where the roots are. If it falls it takes the wall between us and the neighbour. So I started cutting it down as can be seen in the first photo. Saturday neighbour had some workers with chainsaws in there on his side to trim down that side as well. That probably had something to do with it as well.

This evening, having picked the kids up after chess at school, arriving at the front gate, I saw something funny next to the road - thought it was a bird's wing flapping. Told my boy to see what it is. "It's a bushbaby!" he shouted.

Brought him to me, I took the car in, kept the dog away that wanted to get at him (he always does... :roll: ) and went in. Wrapped him warm and put him in an empty bird cage. Phone Gerhard Verdoorn - the only person that I can immediately think of that can help. He gives me a a couple of pointers and a vet's name in Pretoria. Try my luck and phone him. They're already closed but he's still there and speaks to me, telling me what to do - hopefully that will help.

When we picked him (actually, now that I think of it, I didn't even look whether it is a boy or a girl!) up he was sort of in a stupor.

As he got warmer he sorta came alive and very attentive, looking around and at every movement.

It seems as if something may be wrong with his back legs as he's not moving them yet. Doc says that can also be caused by dehydration, stress, cold ec. So now I'm giving him some rooibos with honey in every hour.

Here's to hoping he'll make it through the night.

I'm not interested in giving him to one of these "care" centres if I can prevent that at all - I want him to be released, not become a pet or be kept for breeding! :evil: Once he's recovered I'll release him back into the garden again, at the same time building him a little house or something as per Gerhard.
Marius
Hunter, angler, nature lover, conservationist.

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Tue May 12, 2009 1:36 am

Marius, your bushbaby is enchanting. I do hope it survives :pray: and is able to enjoy your garden again!
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town
21 September-21 November Darling

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by onewithnature » Tue May 12, 2009 4:36 am

I saw one clambering in a tree at night by the restaurant loookout over the Sabie River at Skukuza. It must have been a thick-tailed, because you could distinctly hear the child-like cries. That, strangely, is the only time I've seen them in the wild (bar night drives, but then they're not always entirely distinct in the oscillating torch light).
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Batmad » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:01 pm

Quit alot of them in C circle in Letaba restcamp...always hear them fighting lol :lol:
Avid birder, wildlife enthusiast and photographer with a special interest in Bats and Birds

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds

Niceone

Hunting technique?

Unread post by Niceone » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:28 pm

I was sitting with my wife and children and watching a nightape.

We were amazed to see how quickly and how far this little animal can jump through the trees.

My youngest son asked me how any animal would be capable of catching such a swift and athletic creature.

I understand that snakes, leopards and other animals can catch it but how ?

Has anyone seen a nightape caught ?

:huh:

oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Hunting technique?

Unread post by oddesy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:32 pm

Are you talking about a bush baby Niceone?
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Niceone

Unread post by Niceone » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:35 pm

Not the big bushbaby . The small one.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:52 pm

In other words, the Lesser bushbaby, or Mohol Bushbaby (Galago moholi) in this case.

Potential predators of bushbabies are mongooses, genets, jackals, domestic cats and dogs, raptors (especially owls), and snakes. Even some monkeys
As you can see the list contains fast animals as well as more sneaky ones, both night and day hunters. They have to be really careful, and stay out of sight.

We had good looks of one in the beginning of this year, but unfortunately no photos. And that lack of photos is entirely due to their being careful and very skittish.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Chacma

Bushbaby courtship ritual

Unread post by Chacma » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:59 pm

We (my wife Dream Weaver and I) were sitting outside under a wild seringa at Letaba a few nights ago, watching the fading embers of our fire, when a pair of bushbabies jumped into the tree and made their way to the end of a branch almost directly above us. We could see them quite clearly in the moonlight. What followed was a most wonderful courtship display which can best be described as aerial ballet.

They clung upside down by one leg, swaying about while holding onto the impossibly slender twigs at the end of the branch while they touched and embraced each other, now and again turning around to hold on with their hands, and at one stage what I assume was the male let go of the branch completely to swing clinging to his partner.

Whether they mated at this time we couldn't say, but the whole beautiful performance took place in complete silence and lasted for about ten minutes. It was a totally magical experience.

I have not been able to source much information on the courtship ritual of bush babies, but some accounts give the impression that it is loud and aggressive. Can anyone on the Forum relate their experiences?

Elsa

Re: Bushbaby courtship ritual

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:55 pm

Sounds like a wonderful sighting to see and just goes to show that one never knows what you can see even when quite unexpected.
I have never seen anything like that so you are very fortunate. :D

Chacma

Re: Bushbaby courtship ritual

Unread post by Chacma » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:43 pm

Thank you Elsa for your kind response, we do indeed feel very fortunate to have had such a magical experience. It is these random lucky events that make visiting the KNP such a pleasure.

Also we realised that if we had used a torch to look at these bushbabies, they would not have honoured us with this spectacle. So many people are using very bright LED torches in the camps nowadays to search for nocturnal animals, which surely must hurt their extremely sensitive eyes and drive them away. I would like to appeal to Forumites to please not use these powerful torches for this purpose..

Return to “Mammals”