Skip to Content

Snake: Mozambique Spitting Cobra

Find, identify & discuss the marine species of SANParks
Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:03 pm

Very fortunate! I had one at the entrance to my veranda last year which tried hard to spit at me but for some reason did not. Its mouth was working hard and it hooded up and struck when I moved. I retreated inside the house and rang our rangers who came and dealt with it.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 7 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Mfezi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mfezi » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:40 pm

Your brother's guardian angels were definitely working overtime!!

I am glad to hear that he was not bitten as these snakes can deliver a nasty bite. Fortunately, eye envenomation very seldom result in serious problems, as long as you rinse the eyes with large quantities of water or any other blunt liquid as soon as possible there after. It is known that in cases where no fluids are immediately available, urine can also be used to rinse the eyes (as a last resort).

These snakes seem to have an endless supply of venom when they spit.

Hope that he feels better soon!!

Mfezi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mfezi » Sun May 25, 2008 6:49 pm

Well, just a word of warning. If you get out of your car in the KNP where you are allowed to eg. Nkumbe lookout point, and you hear the grass rustle, do not just assume that it is a francolin or so. On Wednesday 21 May 2008, I stopped at the before mentioned lookout point to try and spot some rhinos. Well I was alone and heard the grass rustling, but thought nothing much of it. After the 2nd or 3rd time, I turned around just in time to see a Mozambique Spitting Cobra (±80 - 100cm) come slithering down from between the rocks.

I stood still (had no face or foot protection) and watched moved along, tongue flickering. I then decided to go and fetch the camera. Well, when I got back the snake was gone.?

Looked CAREFULLY and then spotted it again. Took some photos, but none are actually worhtwile posting, especially after the nice pics we have already seen. But will try anyway later on.

So be careful. You are getting out of your car at your own risk!! But lastly, I must admit, a sighting I will never forget!!

RichardS

Unread post by RichardS » Tue May 27, 2008 2:27 pm

Mfezi wrote: Fortunately, eye envenomation very seldom result in serious problems, as long as you rinse the eyes with large quantities of water or any other blunt liquid as soon as possible there after.

I've got to agree with Mfezi on this one. My mom was spat in the face by a Moz Spitting Cobra, several years ago when she was in the bath. (It came up through the loo).

The doc said the immediate total immersion back in the bath probably saved her sight.

Cheers
"The real adventure begins in earnest when things go a little wrong....." - Bear Grylls
16/12 Mokala NP
17/12 - 21/12 Karoo NP
30/12 - 02/01 Bontebok NP
02/01 - 07/01 Mountain Zebra NP
07/01 - 10/01 Mokala NP

shangri-la

Snakes

Unread post by shangri-la » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:32 pm

Hi all

Can anyone tell me what snake this is.

I finally figured out the only reason to be alive is to enjoy it.

Jumbo

Re: Identification help: Snakes

Unread post by Jumbo » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:22 am

I would say Mozambique Spitting Cobra

Rusty Justy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Location: Sunninghill(JHB), Vaalwater & Beauty(Waterberg), Grahamstown(E.C)

Unread post by Rusty Justy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:51 pm

I'd agree with the Mozambique Spitting Cobra!! :D
:dance: STIFFNECKS MEMBER :dance:

FGASA LEVEL 1

Rusty Justy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Location: Sunninghill(JHB), Vaalwater & Beauty(Waterberg), Grahamstown(E.C)

Re: Snakes: Black mamba

Unread post by Rusty Justy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:58 pm

Having caught many Mozambique Cobra's and seen a fair amount of Mambas you tend to notice things easier.........
The shape of the head(Black mamba has a more elongated head, looking somewhat like a coffin), the scale pattern as well as colouration (Black mamba is far more grey, and has less of a speckled appearance).
The body shape(The mamba is far longer, the cobra is shorter and fatter, the mamba would be (just an eg) 2 metres before it would be the width of a much shorter Cobra)...The orange colouration on the head of your snake also matches the Mozambique Cobra, as well as the bands beneath the upper throat/neck, and the facial patterns..........if you have a look at the photos on this thread, you will notice you're snake looks quite different from the mamba! :thumbs_up:
:dance: STIFFNECKS MEMBER :dance:

FGASA LEVEL 1

Jumbo

Re: Snakes: Black mamba

Unread post by Jumbo » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:42 pm

A Black Mamba is actually not black….they get their name from the black colour of the inside of their mouths.
Having said this, and from my personal experience as a complete amateur that unfortunately seem to attract snakes, I find it very difficult to make a quick ID of a snake on its colour or even the appearance of its scales….

Unfortunately a Black Mamba will seldom “pose” for a photo like a Moz Cobra…still think the Moz Cobras are a bit dumb :lol: …..and I do not think there are many people who have been able to get close-up photos of BM’s in the wild….if I remember correctly, Nico and Yvonne got some great close-up shots of a BM? 8)

shangri-la wrote:He was on the tar road when we see him/her we had the car window open, as we lend out to take our photos, if we had known it was a spitting Cobra I think we may well have tried to take the photos with the window shut

If only we new

I have spoken to quite few people who got that spit into their eyes…it burns like battery acid! :shock:
A Black Mamba would not have stuck around for you to get a photo….unless you had a nice thatch roof on top of your car :wall: ….but then your last worries would have been to get a photo!!! :shock:

Ferdelance
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Ferdelance » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:38 pm

Hi All!

We went Kloofing in a gorge near Brits on the weekend and found this snake stuck in one of the pools. The walls where to slippery and straight for it to get out. Believe it may have fallen in from the top. I caught it and took it to higher ground! Not sure what it is but am tipping snouted Cobra here??

Can anyone confirm this? Would be great to know as I am still getting to the different types of snake species!
Stiffneck on the loose.....
Latest Lifer:= Lesser Crested Tern; Rufous Winged Cisticola.

BushSnake

Unread post by BushSnake » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:31 pm

Hi

No it is a mozambique spitting cobra (Naja mossambica). They can be identified by the brownish colour AND the black blotchy rings on the throat. Hope you were wearing goggles...
"If you can only visit two continents in your lifetime, visit Africa.... TWICE" - R.Elliot

Ferdelance
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Ferdelance » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:38 am

Hi Bushsnake!

Ja I checked in my snake Book yesterday and came to the same conclusion. Luckly the snake was stuck in cold water for a while and very sluggish. I had safety glasses with me but they kept fogging up so I moved her without the glasses!

I know it sounds stupid but I noticed the snake had been stuck there for a while and didn't even give a threat display whilst begin handled. :pray: :hmz: :big_eyes:
Stiffneck on the loose.....
Latest Lifer:= Lesser Crested Tern; Rufous Winged Cisticola.

jb72

Unread post by jb72 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:35 pm

Hi there,

Would also like to share this pic of what I assume is a Mozambique Spitting Cobra ???

Thanks
jb

BushSnake

Unread post by BushSnake » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:17 pm

Jb72, definitely a mozambique spitting cobra.
"If you can only visit two continents in your lifetime, visit Africa.... TWICE" - R.Elliot

Bundu_SA_Guy

Snake goes along for 170km ride

Unread post by Bundu_SA_Guy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:56 am

Article by Beeld reporter

Virginia Keppler, Beeld

Pretoria - The guardian angels of a Pretoria man "were working overtime" as he and his wife drove 170km with a dangerous Mozambique spitting cobra in their car.

Gordon Parratt, 69, remained calm while the undesirable 85cm-long passenger wound itself around his leg on several occasions.

He and his 65-year-old wife, Ilda, of Moreleta Park east of Pretoria, left the Biyamiti rest camp in the Kruger National Park on Friday.

After several kilometres Gordon felt something like an insect brush against his leg and foot and wiped it away.

As he was doing so again, he looked down and saw a snake next to his left foot. It looked like a Mozambique spitting cobra.

Although he was rattled, he remained calm and told his wife they had a "passenger".

"Fortunately I'm not the panicky type. My wife immediately put her feet up on the dashboard."

Thought car would be stolen

In Hazyview they stopped at a taxi rank but "I didn't want to get out there and leave my car because I was scared it would be stolen".

The couple then drove to the reptile park in Hazyview. They removed "everything that could move" from the car, but couldn't find the snake.

Ilda said the staff wanted them to leave the car and arrange other transport home, but her husband wouldn't have it.

An official at the reptile park gave them two rolls of stretch plaster.

If the snake should strike, they could use it to make a tourniquet to prevent the poison from spreading.

"I also asked them to alert all the medical centres along the way so that I could stop there, if need be," Gordon said.

Later on he once again noticed the snake near his foot. At that point he couldn't stop because they were in a pass.

Snake winds up leg in heavy traffic

"At Sabie we stopped, but couldn't find the snake.

"About 15km from Lydenburg the snake wound itself around my left leg and ankle. Its head came up to my knee.

"The traffic was heavy and it was raining hard, but I kept calm," he said.

Just before Lydenburg the couple stopped and enquired about a snake expert. Hein Geldenhuys, 49, was called.

After dropping his wife off at a guesthouse, Gordon drove to Geldenhuys's house.

Geldenhuys caught the cobra. "All you could see was venom flying," Gordon said.

Geldenhuys said a snake in a car is a nightmare. "Fortunately I managed to catch the snake without injuring it."

He was surprised to see "how calm the oom was".

He said these snakes are very dangerous because their venom attacks the nervous system and the body's soft tissues.

"The oom was very lucky. The Lord protected him and his guardian angels were definitely working overtime."

- Beeld
Stress levels are rising ... need a Kruger fix

Return to “Reptiles, Amphibians and Fish”