Skip to Content

Dams and Waterholes

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Mgoddard
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mgoddard » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:03 am

I read on the forum about Silolweni dam and it was said that its caused by the number of hippo's in the dam (I think), so if that is the case cant they just relocate some of the hippos to ease the problem or help sort it out.

bucky
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bucky » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:17 pm

Hippo feces in the water is the root cause of the blue green algae taking a hold in a dam, and if there are to many hippos, then you have a bigger problem and build up.
Sunset dam luckily has a constant flow of water being pumped into the dam, so it does have a certain amount of water getting flushed through it, unlike some of the other big earthen dams that are a 1 way stop for the water.
Luckily in dams that have a flow of water moving through themb the algae tends to not build up to levels that are dangerous enough to kill animals.
One must also remember that this algae is naturally present in most of the water in the park, it is just the levels of concentration that cause a problem.
It is also not all algae that are poisonous, so if you see a bit of algae it may be a harmless type.

Sunset dam being near the Sabie river helps a lot as there is a ready supply of fresh water available to pump into the dam to dilute and flush the algae.

The problem in dams will be worse in winter because of two reasons, there is less rain water flushing the dam, and more hippo tend to hang about in the dam as seasonal pools they may inhabit in summer will dry up so they seek out new "homes" for the winter.

To move the hippos away will not help as they will just return to the dam, or other hippos will soon take up residence in there if the territorial group is missing for a while.

I am sure sunset dam will be fine though
:D

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:54 am

Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by G@mespotter » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:25 pm

The quality of the water in a lot of dams/rivers in KNP indeed needs expert attention on a big scale, as they do not look and prove healthy at all.

What concerns me is that government should be part of this investigation, as most of the rubbish flows from outside the park into Kruger. Would a 'cleaning or rinsing' filters in the rivers at the western border of Kruger be too costly or impractical.....I'm just thinking out loud, because once the balace of the water is disturbed, it has a huge negative ripple effect in Kruger :(

Looking at Sunset Dam, I really think they need to drain it, start fresh and even then pump new water in at a regular base, as we could see impala's who were thirsty dislike the water.
Greatest Kruger lover

JustJuice

Re: Sunset Dam Green

Unread post by JustJuice » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:31 pm

I was at Sunset Dam over the last weekend and the dam is looking better than it was.
JJ

richardharris
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Any advice please , dams , waterholes ?

Unread post by richardharris » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:58 am

I have also left comments if photo thread.

I see here that you mention Bateleur. Rooibosrant is a beautiful spot which has always got a very large variety of birds. It has never let us down. Personally never seen much game there but I know others have. Great area.

Richard

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by G@mespotter » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:28 pm

Downwards form Olifants, I would like to recommend Bangu, this is a bit out of the way, but mostly if you're there you have the sightings for yourself :wink:

A better route is to take the upper part of the s39, past Goedgegun, and the Piet Grobler dam is also a very nice place :)

Some people swear by Girivanna, I don't but it's still a nice waterhole, and definitely worth a visit. N'semani dam must be the best one in the central area, but also very busy....

My personal best is Gudzani and Gudzani-east, as well as SON-OP and Sweni, they should not be missed! Never been on the s36....but once I can go MY WAY ALONE I'll take it :dance:

I'm not an Orpen dam fan, although its a nice place. I LOVE Leeupan south of Tshokwane, and Olifantdrinkgat and Mantimahle are both worth more than one visit :D N'waswitshaka (s65) is OK..provided there is water, but you do have a nice open view, a bit similar to Leeupan. Transportdam and Renosterkoppies are very productive from time to time, both are excellent dams. Lake panic....simply wonderful (but very busy lately) So is the Byamiti weir. I personally love Ampie se boorgat as well as James waterhole. Matjulu waterhole is also a must, just to see it, although there are often animals around.

Giyisenga waterhole and the s102 (rivercourse) are exceptionally beautiful and not to be missed. So is Duke's waterhole (but not in winter!) NEVER miss the s25 and the southern part of the s114, all beautiful.
As you can see, I have spend most of my time south of Letaba, and this is about to change! The dams I have left out I don't consider that good, except along the s36, where I haven't been yet. Dams around Pretorius I personally rate low..... :doh:

I'm about to go to Bateleur in December, so I'll report on that area later, and honestly can't wait!!!!!
Hope this will do :thumbs_up:

Enjoy :mrgreen:
Greatest Kruger lover

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:36 pm

Mestel dam

Shithave dam

Jones dam

Kumana dam, I think

Nsemani dam

My experience has been that the south is reasonably quiet in Feb. Pretorius Kop is lovely for birds and Biyamiti is lovely for everything.

I tend to love the south of the Park in summer because of the scenery and greenery. In saying that, I have never been north in winter.

Anyway, here are a couple of shots.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

anne catherine

Unread post by anne catherine » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:46 pm

Thanks for posting these lovely pics of dams , Meandering Mouse .

Mestel dam and Jones dams seems beautiful .
Have to go there and hope the dams will be fulled .
I think you are right ,the fourth one must be took at Kumana .

Here is one we took last February there

and an other one

I think like you the south should not be crowded at that time of the year :)
Have until next march to decide , but as you know, if you want to have tents with river view at Lower-sabie it's better to reserve quickly :thumbs_up:
Like to stay in the tents there even if it is too hot inside : better to be driving the car with air con in the afternoon and have lions sightings for you alone :dance:

DinkyBird

Re: Green dams / rivers

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:05 pm

Sunset Dam now has only a few tinges of the green left on tiny parts of the water edge. As you can see the dam is 100% full.

- Dalene

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:54 am

Olifants River - Nov 2008

Letaba River - Nov 2008

- Dalene

oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by oddesy » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:18 am

Thanks for the pics DB :thumbs_up:
Its nice to see that there is a fair bit of water around
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Mads
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year - Bushbuck Award (2016)

Re: Mlondozi Dam

Unread post by Mads » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:28 pm

Hi Wildthing!

Martie (MJ) (Lower Sabie sightings) showed me pictures on monday. The dam is full!!! :dance: :dance: It filled up with one nights rain!! :mrgreen:
"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree." Martin Luther

WildThing
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Mlondozi Dam

Unread post by WildThing » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Hi Mads,
That is great news. We saw the dam in August and October and it was so depressing to see absolutely no water. Normally the dam and surrounding area is teeming with game. We will be in LS in just over two weeks so I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

WildThing
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Leeu Pan

Unread post by WildThing » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:17 pm

I would be interested to know if Leeu Pan has any water in it. Last December until February, it was an absolute birders paradise, but in June it was bone dry.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”