Skip to Content

Bats: ID Needed?

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks
Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Bats: ID Needed?

Unread post by Batmad » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:53 pm

this thread is for bat ID's only. if you have a pic of a Bat then please post it here so we can hlp you ID it. if you do not have a pic of a bat get one off the internet and post it here and we will see who can Id it first.

Rules: the pic must be of a southern african bat.

do not hesitate to post pics as i am sure all the forum members want to learn more about the wildlife. one a bat is ID i will give you the backround of that species, example: size, habitat, food, distrabution etc.

all the best
Batmad
Last edited by Batmad on Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avid birder, wildlife enthusiast and photographer with a special interest in Bats and Birds

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Batmad » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:47 pm

here is some info on bats..........

there are two different groups of bats, megachiroptera and microchiroptera. megachiroptera is fruit bats and microchiroptera is micro bats or insect eating bats. there are many myths about bats that are absoulutly not true! some of them are...... bats purposley attack you or bats nibble your ear at night. these are not true! if you have any questions about bats or myths that you would like to share then post them on this thread, please also if you have any ID's you need carry on posting them!
in southern africa there are 75 different types of bats.

more info will be posted later on.

all the best batmad
Avid birder, wildlife enthusiast and photographer with a special interest in Bats and Birds

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Batmad » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:19 pm

everyone thinks that bats are ugly, disgusting, scary and more. once you see a bat up close you will see that they are harmless and will only bight in self defence. bats are crucial to the environment and play a huge role. fruit bats polonate flowers and drop there feices everywhere which contains fruit seeds in them. this creates new fruit trees and polonates flowers. i will admit that some bats do look a little ugly but the rest are adorable. if you look closely at the horseshoe bat you will see how sophisticated there nose leaves are. nose leaves are the nose of a particular bat and that bat echolocates through that nose. some bats that do not have nose leaves echolocate through there mouth. i will try to get a diagram of a horseshoe bats nose leaves and post it and then i will explain in more detail.

bats are the second largest order of mammals after the rodent familey. they are comprised of over 900 species all over the world.

there are also many bat groups that spend there lives trying to protect bats. i am one of those people but i also have to do school work :evil: these groups go on outings using mist nets and harp traps to catch the bat but they have to have a permit first to be able to catch the bats.

will explain more about bats later, but if there are any bats needed to be ID please post!

all the best
Batmad

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Batmad » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:09 pm

ok...........

TIPS ON SAVING A BAT:

these are some tips on how to rescue a bat if you find one grounded or injured.

if you find a bat DO NOT handle it without waring gloves as there may be the fact that the bat has rabies but that is highly unlikely to happen as you have more chance than getting involved in a car crash than getting rabies from a bat. take the bat and put it in a box close the box and take it to free me or get hold of a member of your nearest bat interest group.

if you find a baby dont think it is injured and pick it up and think you are saving it because you are not. if you find a baby place it on a high point and the mother will come and find her precious baby.

all the best Batmad

Skyjuggler

Re: Bats: ID Needed?

Unread post by Skyjuggler » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:08 am

Okay Batmad, I may be new to these forums but I think I may have a duzi question for you :mrgreen:

First off though this is a bit of a gruesome question so to any squeemish readers, maybe skip it.

Secondly I'm sorry about the photo quality, we were unprepared and had to make do with a cerll phone...

Right, the story goes like this: A friend and I were walking through a bat-renowned tunnel in Shongweni Durban. On the way out we noticed something a little strange. A bat (I thought a Schreiber's long fingered bat but stand under correction) was shivering and acting a little strangely. On further investigation it turns out it was actually being bitten by a spider. The spider was on it's back buried into the fur. We watched for a few seconds and to our amazement the spider was actually actively moving to different parts of the bat and seemed to be biting there too...

I'm afraid I haven't been very pro-active in identifying the spider as I've been waiting for the better quality pics, you can see him clearly though on the bat's left shoulder. But in the interim, any thoughts?

Right, the jury's out...
Last edited by Skyjuggler on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Batmad » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:13 am

But it is a cave dwelling species and does not have any nose leaves so my wild guess would also be Schribers.....
NB-The name has now been changed to Natal long fingered bat :wink:

The "Spider' to me looks like a bat fly which is common on bats and are harmless to humans.
They suck the bats blood and don't cause any harm to them.
There are many different species of bat fly and i don't know any of them....all i know is that this is a bat fly.
Bat flies cannot survive without bats and the minute it leaves the bat it will probably soon die.

Hope this helps,

BM

JustJuice

Unread post by JustJuice » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:47 am

Hi Batmad,

Remember I was telling you about those huge bats I saw in that fruit tree, i think you said they may be straw-coloured bats or something like that.

I eventually got a photo whilst standing in the rain for about ten minutes and having them bomb dive me...but anyway heres some pics(only one is clear but the rest give shape etc), can you give me an ID please,

Thanks
JJ

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Batmad » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:20 pm

I am still going to stick with Sraw Coloured flying fox on your fist bat 8)

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Batmad » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:32 pm

Olifants: This camp is most deffinatly known for its Free Tailed's and has had some serious problems over the years with these bats. Unfortunately some bad decisions have been made but some good ones have made up for them. The two dominant species within the camp are Angolan free Tailed (Mops condylurus) and Little Free Tailed Bat (Chaerephon pumilus) and they can both be found roosting in the various thatch structures within the camp. Fruit bats are mostly absent from olifants however one can sometimes here the distant call of males. The camp is also utilized by Horseshoe bat Species and if one looks in dark, secluded area's you may find one or two (these species may vary from R.Simulator to R.Clivosus)

Satara: This camp is good for Fruit Bats, they are often found hanging around in the tree's and under the thatch roofs. Some other species such as Cape Serotine (Neromica capensis) and Yellow Bellied House Bat (Scotophilus dinganii) also show from now and then and one can also see the parks two most common bats, Little and Angolan Free Tailed Bats.

Skukuza: Best known for its Fruit bats (Peters and Walhbergs) this camp provides a variety of different species. I Must admit however that i have not spent a lot of time in this camp, however the suround picnic spots, Mlondozi and Nkuhlu provide amazing views of Sundevalls Leaf nosed Bat (Hipposideros caffer) in the toilets.

Mopani: I have yet to spend a lot of time in this camp but will be heading up their next week, but for now i can tell you that the two Free Tailed species rule this camp lol, however the surrounding hollow tree's can house other species such as Common Slit Faced Bat (Nycteris thebaica) and Green House Bat (Scotophilus viridis). I will provide some more information on this camp when i return in two weeks time from my trip there.

Hope this helps ;)

Return to “Mammals”