Skip to Content

Best photographic spots near the Camps, Dams & Waterholes

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
buccaneer

Kruger bird hides

Unread post by buccaneer » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:44 pm

Which bird hides are best for taking photographs i.e. in terms of proximity to the birds?

p s I'll be based at Satara.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:46 pm

Hides around Pafuri or Berg en Dal won't really be an option then....

There are not many hides around that area, Sweni could be good for birding, Ratelpan I found rather empty when I was there last, but it was lousy weather, so that may be the reason.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Kruger bird hides

Unread post by ndloti » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:05 pm

Nthandanyati and Lake Panic would offer close up views .
Shipandane was a bit quiet on 4 occasions when I was in the area .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Johann
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Johann » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:51 pm

Lake Panic is the best but realistically speaking not from Satara. By the time you get there the sun would already be your enemy. Although I've taken great pics at all times of the day at Lake Panic.

As DQ said your best bet would be Sweni. Just love this hide. Have had some awesome sightings here in the past. Ratelpan not always that productive, don't think its location is the best if I remember correctly.

Anything else you'll have the same problem as with Lake Panic. Only difference is that with most of them it won't be worth it. If you really want to drive some distance and try out something other than Sweni or Ratelpan give Lake Panic a go.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
Albert Einstein

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by G@mespotter » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:40 am

Hi,

Based in Satara, this would be Sweni hide.

Sweni is indeed a very nice hide, and because of the silence, peace and the fact that it isnt overcrowded as Lake Panic sometimes can be...makes it my favorite hide. Sightings vary here, sometimes alot of birds , sometimes not..... Hippo and crocodile sightings are however guaranteed. 8) The bonus of this hide is that it is close to N'wanetsi aswell, so you can use it as a quick pit stop if you want to :). This hide has produced a lot of storks to me, as well as elephant, bushbuck, baboons (often) kudu's hippo's and crocs...

I think Ratelpan is the worst hide of whole kruger, far off, almost always dry....bushy etc.... :cry:

Anyway, enjoy, I am :mrgreen:
Monné
Tlopi 11 July Tambotie 12 July, Olifants Backpack trail 13-16 July, Letaba 16 July, Balule 17 July, and Sable Hide 18 July and Lower Sabie 19-20 July Can't wait actually :)

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by G@mespotter » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:53 am

I would say in the Satara area it would be Girivanna waterhole and Nsemaniu dam....and I recon Transportdam in late evenings is pretty good aswell, just depends on the animals location ..... :roll:

Monné
Tlopi 11 July Tambotie 12 July, Olifants Backpack trail 13-16 July, Letaba 16 July, Balule 17 July, and Sable Hide 18 July and Lower Sabie 19-20 July Can't wait actually :)

Peter Betts

Unread post by Peter Betts » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:17 am

Punda Maria = Klopperfontein dam and Mahonie Loop
Sirheni = S56
Bateleur = Shingwedzi = Red Rocks
Mopani= Shipandane, Shonglololo Road
Shimuwini = from the camp
Balule= Olifants low level Bridge and Bangu Windmill road
Tambotie = Mzanzeni Picnic spot anf the road to it
Biyamiti = S114 and Biyamiti Loop
Punda Maria Sept 27,28
Bateleur Sept 29,30 (free award)
Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

francoisd
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by francoisd » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:40 pm

The best "hide" in the Satara area for taking photos of birds is in my opinion staying in the camp itself. There is a large variety of birds in the camp and with a little patience, stealth and just sitting quietly in one spot will result in much more opportunities than driving around to a hide missing the best light.

Below are just some of the birds I have photographed in Satara rest camp. Much more than you can ever expect to get at any of the hides mentioned and I've said it before, the Kruger hides does not work well for photography especially for birds. Even Lake Panic disappoints when the water level is very high

Red-billed Buffalo-weaver
Red-billed Hornbill
Yellow Hornbill
Laughing dove
Groundscrapper Thrush
Glossy Starling
Diderick Cuckoo
Woodland Kingfisher
Helmeted Guineafowl
African Scops Owl
Bennett's Woodpecker
Lesser Masked Weaver
Paradise Flycatcher
Natal Francolin
Brown-headed Parrot
African Hoopoe
Redbilled Woodhoopoe
African Mourning Dove
Arrow-marked Babbler
Spotted Flycatcher
Grey Go-away Bird
Southern Grey-headed Sparrow
"The measure of life is not its duration but its donation." - Peter Marshall
www.flickr.com/groups/birdssa

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

special places in Kruger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:18 pm

:lol:Thank you to all for the splendid contributions. I am more of a Zim fundi than Kruger, and have only lately started going to Kruger regularly, and mostly in the South.
I see Shingwedzi and Punda are very popular, and am planning to go to the North in September for good sunsets/elephants/baobabs.
Request: Please tell me where I can get good clear sightings of Baobab Trees close enough to a camp for sunset photography (and even AFTER the camps are closed, ie. are there any baobabs IN camps?)
My research show Mopani as an option. Is there anything near Letaba/Sable Hide, Punda? (I know Pafuri is too far)

Any advice would be very welcome.

Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

richardharris
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by richardharris » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:26 pm

There is a very fine baobab actually in the camp at Mopani. Should allow some good shots without buildings etc visible.

Punda has a small one in the camp but not nearly so photogenic and too close to buildings.

There are several around the Mahonie loop (ie around Punda) but I am not sure whether any would give you the shots you are after.

Can't think of anything near Shingwedzi.

Some visible from Olifants but I am sure they would be too far for what you want to do.

Richard

anne catherine

Best Dam/waterhole spots in KNP

Unread post by anne catherine » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:47 pm

I begin to plan a new KNP trip for February 2010 .
I know it's still far , but as always we must make choices , and it's not easy ..
We haven't already seen all the dams and waterholes in the park and i would want to know which one's are your prefered one's for pics .
Already on my list are :Nsemani Dam , Kumana dam , Silolweni dam ,Girivana , Nshawu ...

Here some pics took at Nshawu and Silolweni this year .

Some dams seems great but are sometime empty :( , Grootvlei last February .
So my question is : dam or waterholes not to be missed for photography ? ( not too far for photography , in the morning , evening ? ) .
Some pics for exemple ?
Tanks everybody :)

richardharris
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Dam , waterhole top ten photography

Unread post by richardharris » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:51 pm

Dams are some of the best places but can be very unpredictable. Grootvlei has always produced something in my experience. Whereas another huge dam in the south, Mpondo was virtually lifeless - just a few birds. Still don't know why that one had nothing not even a hippo. Has this changed?

Last year in October Kumana was dry!

So try all that are near where you are staying - and it might be your lucky day!

Richard

wondercloak
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wondercloak » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:53 am

Biyamiti weir is a great spot as first thing in the morning the sun comes from behind you and the water's at car window height. Lake Panic's one of my favourite - I usually find there's something to see and enjoy and often to photograph either in the water or on the various trees around the hide and water's edge.
- Mopani 21 to 23 Dec
- Shimuwini 30 Dec to 1 Jan
- Punda Maria 2 Jan
- Limpopo Tented Camp 3 to 5 Jan
- Leokwe 6 to 7 Jan

anne catherine

Unread post by anne catherine » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:08 pm

Yes Richard ,
Unfortunately , dams are unpredictable and sometime empty :evil:
We drove the S50 last february to go to Grootvlei dam and it was absolutely empty ; on the other way it's a beautiful road :)
Kumana dam was nice, a big herd of ellies was bathing there on our drive to Olifants ( i have post some pics today on the other topic in camps and roads ) .
Duke waterhole was empty and Nhlanganzwani nearly empty but we had the chance to see rhinos on the S137 and a cheetah drinking at Nhlanganzwani for us alone at the end of the day :dance:

In comparison with february 2007 i found there was generally more water this year at dams , river etc .. :)

anne catherine

Unread post by anne catherine » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:13 pm

Wondercloak , Byamiti buscamp will surely be on our list :dance:
This year we haved a too short but great stop at Lake Panic and will surely return there :)
We missed the nursery and the golf for birds :doh: ....it will be for the next time :dance:

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”