Skip to Content

Questions & Comments about the cams

Discuss the Orpen (KNP), Satara (KNP), Addo and Nossob (KTP) webcams
DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:49 pm

Hi and welcome back silvia! :yaya:

The first few are actually not from another cam, but from the old location of the Orpen webcam. The ground was being wrecked though, so SANParks decided to move the cam a few meters.

But its great to step back into history! 8)

Why have we not seen you for so long?
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

silvia

Unread post by silvia » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:06 pm

DuQues wrote:Hi and welcome back silvia! :yaya:

The first few are actually not from another cam, but from the old location of the Orpen webcam. The ground was being wrecked though, so SANParks decided to move the cam a few meters.

But its great to step back into history! 8)

Why have we not seen you for so long?

Hi DuQues,
I' ve ever been here :dance:
I read the forum daily but my english is not enough good for talk with all the folks (now I'm having an english course so maybe...)
Greetings from Italy :yaya:

fugglefeet

HOTSPOT - Orpen Cam

Unread post by fugglefeet » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:21 pm

Is it at all possible for someone to check the light at Orpen cam? The lamp has developed a hotspot in the circuitry causing it to go off and come back on when the hotspot has cooled down. It's electrical of nature.

Thanks in advance.

fugglefeet

Unread post by fugglefeet » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:55 pm

For the curious, this is what a hotspot looks like:-

The lamp switches off.

The lamp slowly powers back up.

This phenomenon occurs mostly with vapour lamps.

fugglefeet

Unread post by fugglefeet » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:12 pm

Invariably, this is caused by a loose connection somewhere in the electrical circuit. Either at the lamp fitting, the switch or in the distribution panel. First check that all physical connections (where the wires are fastened to the lamp, switch and distribution panel) are properly tightened. The slightest loose connection starts behaving like a thermostat, that when it reaches a certain temperature, it causes an open circuit and disconnects power to the lamp. It may even be that the lamp is not properly screwed into the fitting and this could be the cause of the hotspot.

Jay
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jay » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:15 pm

maaaaybe it's not a hotspot, maybe some little lion couple just wants a little privacy when they go down to the watering hole :wink: ...ok you do know I am joking hey :lol:

Tell you what's interesting though, (being part of the A-Team), I got to get up close and personal with the two webcams, and it's just amazing that they survive out there in the bushvled, beyond the safety of the fences.

DebM
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DebM » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:20 am

fugglefeet, there has been this hiccup with Orpen cam ever since it came back on. We've learnt to live with it, it was just great to have the cam back up and runnung after so long. May be one day when Danie and his team has a spare minute they might just be able to fix the " privacy mode".
Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow them. Louisa May Alcott

Freda
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Freda » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:09 pm

I seem to remember that Danie told us that the light would go off now and then for a while, but I have searched and searched and can't find his post :cry:

Foxy
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by Foxy » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:59 pm

Remember that posting Freda, but don't think it was Dianne. Something to do with the cooling of the lamp if I remember correctly.

Dave Long

Webcam at Orpen

Unread post by Dave Long » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:33 pm

Hi Guys,

I am not a veteran when it comes to Forum postings on the Web but I try to visit the Webcams at the waterholes from time to time.
Today I logged into the Orpen Webcam and spotted a sow and three piglets drinking.The Camera then seemed to follow then into the bush. In addition I have noticed that the Camera seems to focus on the left hand side of the pan then the right hand side and then from time to time it displays a picture of the entire waterhole.
Excuse my ignorance but can somebody please explain how these webcams operate.
I do not doubt that this question has previously been answered but I would really appreciate a brief lesson in the
mechanics of the cameras.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:54 pm

Hi Dave!

What you saw was Danie (alias: Kruger) playing with the camera. He is in headquarters in Pretoria, but can remote control it from there.

Have a look in this topic where Satara cam is explained. At the time Orpen cam was an older model, but it has been replaced by the same setup as Satara. That probably explains it all to you.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:23 pm

Hi Dave!

As correctly explained by DuQues above, I check on the webcams now and then per day and if I see something interesting, I zoom into it or catch a better angle.

Unfortunately due to bandwidth constraints, we can not pan/tilt/zoom the webcam all day long as all these 'commands' to the webcam have to travel up and down the link to Orpen or Satara using up more bandwidth. This is not adding to great line response/performance for our normal online operational applications needed at these sites (e.g. e-mail, reservation system, admin system, etc.).

Apart from the above reason, I have another 'normal' day-job too and can't give too much time to the webcams!

So regard the odd angle and view changes a bonus! One day when we have 'enough' (what is enough??) bandwidth, you might be able to see realtime live video streaming from these sites! For now, the bandwidth is not available and even if it was, it would have been too expensive to use for the webcams!

I hope the explanation helps!
Regards

Danie Pretorius
Senior Manager: IT Infrastructure
South African National Parks (SANParks)

SAHGCA-UCT
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Location: UCT Zoology Dept. SA Hunters & Game Conservation Association

Unread post by SAHGCA-UCT » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:52 pm

Hey WJM, I have been playing around with this for some time. As my browser is always busy with business or I am not using explorer and want the images in the background anyway i searched for a way to see all the images on my desktop without the browser open etc.

I have found that the best way to do this is by downloading yahoo widgets and getting a webcam widget and entering the url into the program. There are various widgets that allow you to do this but the best one is 'webimages' as the url changes with each refreshing and this widget can account for that.

This is basically what it looks like

If you are interested in more information - and I am allowed to explain how its done just let me know and I shall reveal all :)

maybe that will make your and other cammers viewing easier (as you can do it more passively while doing other things)

SAHGCA

bazzlewazzle

Unread post by bazzlewazzle » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:27 pm

does anybody know how much data is being transfered by having the cams open all the time? I'm on iburst with a monthy data cap so I would like to just leave the cams open and carry on with whatever I'm doing but is this going to come back to haunt me at the end of the month? :?
"It's a terrible thing,... in life to wait until you're ready.... no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There's only now & you may as well do it now. ..., now is as good a time as any." Hugh Laurie

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:38 pm

Some math:
The pics are 12 to 17 Kb each, and refresh every 30 seconds.
So 120 per hour times say 15 Kb = 1800 Kb.
I guess you sleep and eat, so have the cams on 12 hours a day?
Up to around 22000 Kb, or 22 Mb.
That means something like 650 Mb per month, per camera.

Yes, it'll haunt you....

Return to “Webcams”