Skip to Content

Kgalagadi: Nossob Camp

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
restio
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by restio » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:14 am

Tintin, found some pics that may help you.

Here is a view of the pool from the campsite. The ablution block would be off toward the left of the pic, and the old original chalets behind. The wooden fence visible on the right in the background is the pool fence.

This is a view of the campsite from the pool. The pink ablution block is just visible at the far left, mostly obscured by the leftmost tree.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Tintin

Nossob - Children

Unread post by Tintin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:28 pm

After my initial questions about the pool location etc - I have read the entire thread on all the comments: quietness at night versus noise during the day..and someone mentioned we must remember we were all children once...yep, right on!

I remember clearly - with 3 daughters in the back of the car it could not have been easy, but my parents were great, teaching us constantly about the bush...teaching us to BE QUIET at the look out points...we each had mini binocs that my Dad had bought us and he constantly told us to watch/ observe and listen. They bought us little field guide books available then and would make games out of spotting things, so as we have become adults we appreciate and love the bush. That was one of the most valuable gifts our parents gave us. If we went on a different holiday to the beach or a resort..sure, scream your lungs out...but in the bush we were taught to have respect for the animals AND for others.

One year at Nossob there was a bunch of rowdy kids with skateboards and noisy toys - they clearly were spoiling the peace for everyone...but there was one little boy who caught my eye...he had his binocs, a little notebook - his big sunhat and he was walking slowly and crouching down to look at things - I actually went and congratulated his parents! (after complaining to the others)

THAT little boy I hope would be the future custodian of our parks!
'Earth is the insane asylum for the Universe'

Tuli / Makgadigadi Pans / Moremi - Sept
Garonga - October 2010
KTP - Dec/Jan 10

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:09 am

You need to relax a bit and become a little tolerant Tintin, and don't stress about something that is unlikely.

You get far more noise when 8 dronkies are braaiing next to you than the occasional bit of noise from the pool.

I was in Nossob in September school holidays and there was more noise from the cricket match in tha campig area than the pool.

It was hot and children were in the minority in the pool, and all well behaved.

BTW, my children are all adults so I have no bias.

We were in the Richtersveld and were 'treated' to an evening with the late Tolla vd Merwe relating drawn out stories from the other side of the campsite.

Africa is not for sissies.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Tintin

Sorry..BB

Unread post by Tintin » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:13 am

Didn't mean to sound intolerant

Just relating my up-bringing - actually to quote the cliche "I really like children.." but on the beach...lol! Joke people!

Suppose I am just really looking forward to going back I'm trying to counter any problem which might 'spoil' things...and thats wrong...should just take it as it comes!

Like the man said..Africa is not for Sissies!

Garonga - October 2010
KTP - Dec/Jan 10

Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Nossob Camp

Unread post by Kingfisha » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:30 pm

Hi
Anyone have a map of the layout of Nossob camp? I have booked a Guest House and 2 family cottages for next year, would like to see if they are close together.

Have these guest houses and family cottages been upgraded. I was there in 1998 and they looked very basic... LOOOONG time ago.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:52 pm

Very basic, but here it is....

Chalet 1,2,3 and 4 Can sleep 2 Adults, 2 Children (CH4)
Chalet 5a,5b,5c,9a,9b,9c and 10c Sleeps two people (CH2)
Chalet 6 and 7 Disabled units, sleeps 3 adults each, (CH3Z)
Chalet 8 Sleeps 6 adults (FA6)
Chalet 10a Sleeps 4 adults and 2 children (CH6)
Chalet 10b Sleeps 3 adults (CH3)
Chalet 10c at Nossob is a 2 sleeper (CH2)
Chalet 11a Sleeps 4 adults-1 bedroom and 2 beds in lounge (GH2/4)
Chalet 11b Sleeps 4 adults (GH4) 2 bedrooms
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kingfisha » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:03 pm

Thanks DuQues - this forum is amazing - the quick and efficient responses!!

If you may know, please indicate which of these are Chalets and where is the Guest House situated in the camp- or can I accept that the bigger drawings represent the bigger units?

Tintin

Chalets

Unread post by Tintin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:38 pm

I think the bigger ones are 5a/b & c - I have stayed in all three at some stage - the guest house I think is 10c - but I may be corrected on that.
All the little chalet drawings are chalets...the empty space inbetween is the camping area.
The ones I stayed in some years ago were big!
Hope that helps!

Garonga - October 2010
KTP - Dec/Jan 10

Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kingfisha » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:51 pm

Well DuQues, then it is time for you to make your reservation! Or have you stayed in other camps in Kgalagadi?

Tintin, I think your deduction is correct, but let's see if someone else knows Nossob camp like the palm of their hand?

Tintin

Unread post by Tintin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:51 pm

I do - its my all time favourite camp!! But over last years I do the camp thing! Depending what size your family is...5a/c has two rooms plus showers on either side, a 'lounge' in the middle where more people can be accommodated. 5b is on the backside of a/c facing the campsite so to say!

I have stayed in one of the chalets to the back behind the laundry - can't remember which no. but that was smaller at that stage.

How many people are you booking for?

Garonga - October 2010
KTP - Dec/Jan 10

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Nossob Camp

Unread post by arks » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:43 pm

Kingfisha wrote:Hi
Anyone have a map of the layout of Nossob camp? I have booked a Guest House and 2 family cottages for next year, would like to see if they are close together.

At least some of the info you're looking for can be found in this thread, Kingfisha. (Perhaps the mods might want to add the relevant portions of this thread to a KTP FAQ or make a sticky or ...)
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town

peterbee
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by peterbee » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:39 pm

As far as I know, the Guest House comprises 11a and 11b - its a thatch-roofed house all on its own up on a small hill overlooking camp, with an interleading door linking the two units, which you can use if you have booked both. I think this used to house SANP personnel, and it is very pleasant. Its quieter, and in summer a bit cooler, than the other units.

The Family Cottage is unit 8, not far below unit 11 (it is closer than the map reflects). This has been refurbished.

All the other units are known as chalets, but these vary in size and number of beds. All of these have been refurbished, I stayed in unit 6 last year and it was spacious and comfortable.

Your SANP reservation advice will give you the unit codes, using these you can pinpoint where you are from the key and map posted by Duques.

Hope this helps. I dont think it matters where you stay at Nossob, its still my favourite place to be sigh...(I was there May but it seems like a long long time ago)

Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kingfisha » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:09 am

Thanks Ark, Peterbee, Bush Baptist and Tintin, that really helped a lot, it seems that our family cottage in 2R will be so far away from the other people, I am going to try and change it.

The info is really detailed if you know where to look, so thanks for the threads. I will phone the park before we leave to ask for specific allocations, they are usually very helpful.

OK, next challenge, anyone have some recent photo's of the units after been upgraded, also inside? (at Nossob)

Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kingfisha » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:00 am

Hi everyone,
Now I have a new challenge (never a problem). I have booked 11a and b (Guest houses). They each sleep 4 adults. We are 8 adults and 1 child though and would like to know who I must speak to to find out if they can add a bed in one of the rooms for me?

Must I wait till we get to the camp and then request if, or will it be more convenient to arrange it before the time. I am sure one of the bedrooms will be big enough to make it a 3 bed?

Caracal
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Caracal » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:18 am

Hi Kingfisher
I have been away for a while and have not seen this thread.
Photos of 11a and b as in 2005
We only stayed on the one side...not sure about the other half. It is an awesome house and I am sure there is room to put another bed in. It is probably easier to try and organise the extra bed before you get there.
Enjoy

Not sure why the middle photo will not upload!!! Sorry !

Return to “Arid Parks”