“Exploring the world together will give you memories to last a lifetime!”

Tell us about your breathtaking experiences in the parks
umtali1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Location: Comberton, Cambridge UK ...rejoicing at the beauty of planet Earth.

Re: “Exploring the world together will give you memories to last a lifetime!”

Unread post by umtali1 »

I just love the northern part of the Kruger. Apart from the creatures, the scenery is so different and lends itself for great pictures :dance:

We stayed at the Pafuri border camp last year (see KNP - between the leaves) which meant we had the whole area from Crooks corner to the picnic spot to ourselves for at least a couple of hours :dance: :dance:
umtali1

Marakele - August 2017
https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=101340

2016 Reis Verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps
2013 Mokala and KNP,
2015 "Cape Town to Namibia border"
colbol
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by colbol »

:D
Broad billed and a Purple Roller , nice :thumbs_up:

Do like the photo of the spear fishermen, adds some intrigue.
Still think he was pushing his luck wading in those waters :shock:

Buffs racing to water in nice light :D :D

Bush baby isn’t looking its best :(

Thanks Roaneric :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
roaneric
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by roaneric »

FinMari wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:41 am Do beautiful sunrise and excellent photo of it :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance:

You managed to get photo of Sharpe's rhysbok :thumbs_up:

Peanut really enjoyed watching a terrapin on a hippo :D

We saw two guys walking back to Zim soil with bunches of fish with them and spears in August at the Crooks Corner

I love the buffalo calf :D

A bush baby :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :clap:

Thank you so much for sharing roaneric :gflower:

Thanks FinMari

Peanut was fascinated by the terrapin :lol: Okay so spear fishing is a thing then? :hmz:
Limited Overs and Camp Visits ...... a Forum Tale

"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"
roaneric
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

umtali1 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:43 am I just love the northern part of the Kruger. Apart from the creatures, the scenery is so different and lends itself for great pictures :dance:

We stayed at the Pafuri border camp last year (see KNP - between the leaves) which meant we had the whole area from Crooks corner to the picnic spot to ourselves for at least a couple of hours :dance: :dance:
Thanks Umtali. Yes the north diffidently has its own charm. We wanted to stay in Pafuri border camp once but changed our booking last minute due to circumstances. Maybe we should make a plan again soon to check out Pafuri.

"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"
roaneric
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

colbol wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:40 pm :D
Broad billed and a Purple Roller , nice :thumbs_up:

Do like the photo of the spear fishermen, adds some intrigue.
Still think he was pushing his luck wading in those waters :shock:

Buffs racing to water in nice light :D :D

Bush baby isn’t looking its best :(

Thanks Roaneric :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks colbol. I was a bit worried about him, when we couldn't see him behind the bushes. But he looked very conscious, and it didn't look like the first time he walked in the water. He kept his eyes on the water looking for hippos and crocodiles.

roaneric
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Day 3

We decided to sleep a bit late this morning. We enjoyed some quiet time on the deck with some coffee and rusks. I love to leave camp as soon as the gates open, but so now and then, it’s nice to just enjoy the camp, listening to the bush waking up and enjoy watching the spurfowls coming by and checking if there are some leftover crumbs on the floor.

We decided to take a stroll to the bird hide and walked pass the swimming pool, where the monkeys were already wide awake and planning their day.

IMG_1776.jpg
IMG_1840.jpg

We were super excited to see the crested Guinea fowls. I’ve seen them before in Punda, but this was Driekies first sighting and she was very happy. We took lots of pics and spend a few minutes at the bird hide after that.

IMG_1787.jpg
IMG_1795.jpg
IMG_1807.jpg

We left camp just before 10:00. We were looking foward to go to our next camp, Sirheni. It’s still very dry but now and then you saw a flash of color in the bush. The green grass on the side of the roads going south were a welcome sight and the zebras certainly enjoyed it.

IMG_1900.jpg
IMG_1903.jpg
IMG_1878.jpg

We drove a few loops to and took our time to get to Sirheni. It was still extremely hot and we saw very few animals. Luckily for us, the giraffes couldn’t hide from us so we got some pictures of them at least. :cam:

IMG_1928.jpg
IMG_1934.jpg

We arrived at Sirheni just before 13:00 and took the chance to see if our cottage was ready yet. It wasn’t occupied the night before so we were able to check in early. :dance: What a lovely camp, and Peanut was super excited to check it out. :tongue:

20231008_071957.jpg

We enjoyed the peace and quiet of this little camp and decided to spend the rest of the afternoon on the veranda. I grabbed a bowl and putted out some water for the birds. They were very thankful and lots came to have a drink. Also, the squirrels enjoyed a drink and entertained us all afternoon.

IMG_1969.jpg
IMG_1981.jpg

Late afternoon we took a stroll along the camp fence and found the birdhide. The riverbed was dry, so there wasn't any spectacular sighting on the other side of the fence, but we did see the sun setting on our way back to our cottage.

20231007_174144.jpg
20231007_173215.jpg

It was a very slow and quiet day, but we enjoyed it so very much. With this heat, days like these are a blessing. Just sit back and enjoy nature without any rush.

:popcorn:

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse »

:big_eyes: about the fellow in a Croc infested river.

I agree about the Mahonie loop. I love driving it even if there are no or few animals.

I love seeing the Pafuri picnic site. I still get a sad feeling when I remember Frank.

:thumbs_up: on the crested Guinea Fowls. I am also smiling at the dawn raiders of Punda. :D

Looking forward to more from Sirheni.

The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.
FinMari
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by FinMari »

I love the first photo - almost ready to swim :lol: :lol:

Crested guineafowls :clap: :clap: :clap:

Zebra trio :dance: :dance: :dance:

Peanut is so full of excitement to get into Sirheni :dance: :dance: :dance:

Sorry, but last August in our unit (#15) was a bird bath :hmz: :hmz:
But lovely to follow birds and squirrels :D

5.-9.4.2024 Mapungubwe NP
9.-21.4.2024 Kruger NP
umtali1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Location: Comberton, Cambridge UK ...rejoicing at the beauty of planet Earth.

Unread post by umtali1 »

Very exciting to see the crested guineafowl :dance: :dance:. We were excited to see them too as we hadn’t seen them before.

Lovely drive down to Sirhenii. A lovely camp :thumbs_up:. Looking forward to more from there :popcorn:
umtali1

Marakele - August 2017
https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=101340

2016 Reis Verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps
2013 Mokala and KNP,
2015 "Cape Town to Namibia border"
colbol
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by colbol »

Relaxed vervets a the pool and the cool as Guinea Fowl :lol: very nice photos :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Do like the giraffe pics :D :D

Sirheni , haven’t stayed there so am keen to see how you girls found it , so far it looks nice :D :D

roaneric
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Meandering Mouse wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:23 am :big_eyes: about the fellow in a Croc infested river.

I agree about the Mahonie loop. I love driving it even if there are no or few animals.

I love seeing the Pafuri picnic site. I still get a sad feeling when I remember Frank.

:thumbs_up: on the crested Guinea Fowls. I am also smiling at the dawn raiders of Punda. :D

Looking forward to more from Sirheni.

Hi MM Yes I miss Frank as well. He was the best. :cry:

roaneric
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FinMari wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:30 am I love the first photo - almost ready to swim :lol: :lol:

Crested guineafowls :clap: :clap: :clap:

Zebra trio :dance: :dance: :dance:

Peanut is so full of excitement to get into Sirheni :dance: :dance: :dance:

Sorry, but last August in our unit (#15) was a bird bath :hmz: :hmz:
But lovely to follow birds and squirrels :D

Hi FinMari. We also stayed in number 15 the year before and I remember the bird bath. At our cottage this year there was unfortunately no bird bath. I think its a good idea to place on at each cottage as the riverbed was dry :hmz:

roaneric
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

umtali1 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:52 am Very exciting to see the crested guineafowl :dance: :dance:. We were excited to see them too as we hadn’t seen them before.

Lovely drive down to Sirhenii. A lovely camp :thumbs_up:. Looking forward to more from there :popcorn:
Hi Umtali. Thanks, unfortunately we only stayed at Sirheni one night and left very early the next morning :wall:

roaneric
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

colbol wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:25 pm :D
Relaxed vervets a the pool and the cool as Guinea Fowl :lol: very nice photos :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Do like the giraffe pics :D :D

Sirheni , haven’t stayed there so am keen to see how you girls found it , so far it looks nice :D :D

Thanks colbol. You should really book at sirheni if you like a nice and quiet camp. The bird life is amazing, although we didn't really walk through camp this time (but I remember from my previous trips how many specious you can find just by walking through camp. But the best thing about Sirheni for me is the location. One of my favorite routes is the one leading to sirheni. The s56

roaneric
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Day 4

We woke up early today, made some coffee and left camp at 5:30. We enjoyed staying at Sirheni, it’s a very nice and very quiet camp. All the cottages are far apart from each other, so you can't see your neighbor. We were excited to go to our next camp, though. It’s Mopani and we booked a perimeter bungalow.

The sunrise was breathtaking as usual. We drove one of my other favorite routes in Kruger, the s56 up north, and the plan was to enjoy our coffee and rusks at Babalala picnic site.

IMG_2042.jpg
IMG_2038.jpg

On our way there we saw some general game and this very beautiful giant gentle. He was so relaxed, still waking up while feeding on some dry branches and twigs

IMG_2178.jpg

The picnic site was dead quiet with only us and the lady cleaning the picnic site. Yesterday when we drove by, we saw 2 school buses with little kids running around the whole picnic site, so I think she had her hands full. We had little goody bags in the car, with food and supplies for staff members we saw along our journey, so before we sat down for our morning coffee we surprised her with a goodie bag. With it was a card with an appreciation message written in it. :gflower:

IMG_2068.jpg

After enjoying our coffee and listening to the sound of the bush around us and the birds welcoming the new day, we strolled around the picnic site and photographed some birds. It was lovely to see that the woodland kingfishers were back, and the hornbills were begging for food as usual. Also interesting to see the dried out horns.

IMG_2046.jpg
IMG_2093.jpg
IMG_2055.jpg
IMG_2159.jpg
IMG_2104.jpg
IMG_2113.jpg

We continued our journey south on the H1-7 and saw some beautiful giraffes next to the road. This little cutie was so tiny and was just as interested in watching us as we were admiring her.

IMG_2193.jpg

We saw some pretty birds along the route and also a flower that I have no idea what it could be. Maybe some of you recognize it?

IMG_2235.jpg
IMG_2220.jpg
IMG_2223.jpg

We were lucky enough to find a glimpse of a predator. The first since we arrived, and we were thrilled. The hyena just crossed the road in front of us and disappeared into the bushes seconds later. I got a quick snappy of him as he was obviously in a hurry somewhere. :roll:

IMG_2295.jpg

We were a bit too early to check in at Mopani so when we arrived, we decided to pass the turnoff and quickly check out Siphandani hide. Just as we turned on the gravel and drove past one of the little loops, Driekie saw some antelopes in the road that didn’t look like impalas. So I stopped and reversed, and we were very happy to see a small herd of Tsessebe’s. They were super relaxed, and we had our own private photo shoot. I have to say they are weird looking antelopes. :roll: Those eyes are a bit scary, but they do look very curious and intelligent. :hmz:

20231008_130242.jpg
IMG_2344.jpg
IMG_2366.jpg

We arrived at Mopani and check in went quick. We got the keys to our bungalow (nr. 49) that in my opinion has the most beautiful view of the pioneer dam in the whole camp.

20231008_144726.jpg

We settled in, unpacked some of our stuff, and enjoyed the little birds and critters around the bungalow. The hippos in the dam entertained us, and we had the most blissful afternoon on the deck.

IMG_2397.jpg
IMG_2412.jpg

We decided to have an early dinner at the restaurant. We had lovely food on the restaurant deck and had a stunning view of the dam. Fortunately it was not as hot today and pretty overcast so that helped a lot.

Untitlfed.jpeg

After dinner, Driekie went back to the bungalow while I strolled around the shop, talking to hubby on the phone. He already landed in SA the day before and driving to Kruger that morning. He arrived safely at Pretoriuskop, and he was going to spend a few nights alone in the south of the park till we meet up. He also wanted to try the solo Kruger trip thing for a change. :lol:

By the time I returned to the bungalow, I found a shaken up friend. She told me, when she returned to the bungalow, the microwave fell off the kitchen top all the cabinets were wide open. Luckily, all our food was in the closed fridge cabinet, but a box with cappuccino Sachets was inside counter top cabinet, next to the coffee mugs. That box was torn open, and the Sachets were all over the place. Never thought a baboon will sniff that out. :doh: :naughty:
a Staff member came with a new microwave and took the other one with him. Apparently while we were in the restaurant, baboons came and the neighbors heard a loud noise and alerted the reception, I guess. How on earth the microwave fell on the floor, we will never know. :hmz:

Untitled.jpeg

We have gotten our pajamas on and got ready for bed. We went on the veranda to make some coffee when we both saw a HUGE rodent running past. It was a cane rat, and it was the size of a huge cat. :big_eyes:

While I tried to get a better look at it with my flashlight and hearing noises from the bushes, some flying insects freaked me out a bit. A cane rat is okay, but flying insects freak me out. :big_eyes:

I will share the video, but we were talking in Afrikaans so sorry for the people not understanding afrikaans. Just a disclaimer... You will see me in one of my weak moments. :redface: I will help spiders and snakes out of the house, no problem, I will even come up close to a cane rat to admire it, but when it comes to flying insects… I'm out. :rtm:

We went to bed early. We had to get up super early, as our morning walk the next morning would leave at 5:00. Already in bed, we heard a voice calling from our veranda. It was one of the reception employees. He told us that the drive will be leaving 30 minutes earlier and that we need to be there at 4:30. One of the walking safari rangers were sick, and they had to combine our walk with the morning walk from Letaba. There need to be 2 rangers on the walk. So we were almost too excited about our walk that we almost couldn't fall asleep.

:sleep: