Why is Booking Period Only Showing 7 Months?

Discuss current issues and events happening in the parks.

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

homesweetafrica

Why is Booking Period Only Showing 7 Months?

Unread post by homesweetafrica »

I'm trying to see accommodation in Kruger for Sept. 2024 but it is only showing through July 2024. Any idea why? Is this just a glitch? Is there something I need to do differently? Has the open booking period changed recently? We've researched and booked online several times over the years and never had this problem. Thanks.
lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Why is Booking Period Only Showing 7 Months?

Unread post by lion queen »

homesweetafrica wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:26 am I'm trying to see accommodation in Kruger for Sept. 2024 but it is only showing through July 2024. Any idea why? Is this just a glitch? Is there something I need to do differently? Has the open booking period changed recently? We've researched and booked online several times over the years and never had this problem. Thanks.
Hi homesweetafrica,

Booking periods have not changed, There is a problem with periods showing when you use the "Check availability" in the middle of the Homepage.

Please try the Book Your Trip at the top righthand to get all months.
book your trip.JPG
book your trip.JPG (6.09 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
Happy trip planning
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West
RichardJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RichardJ »

I see the same. Must be a system glitch.

However, if you go to 31 July, on the full month calendar there is an arrow which takes you forward to October.

Also, once in the Online Bookings screen, you can "Browse by Calendar Month". It shows all the months.
Starlings, Shrikes and Rollers. KNP Jan to March 21

Faces of the Kgalagadi - December 2020

The Circle of Life - retirement tour 2019
homesweetafrica

Ok, glad it wasn’t just me but I see how to get there now. Thank you to both of you! Still in the planning session but hoping to get back to our “happy place” once again.
Karin Mitton
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton »

I don’t like to complain when things change, but the functionality to check accommodation types and availability on the new website is not great. The old way was simple, quick and easy.

I have booked online many times this year, and I hate it. The site is slow and cumbersome. To now use it to check availability is not going to be fun.
homesweetafrica

From my end it looks great and hasn’t seemed slow. I just needed a bit of help finding our dates. But, we only get to Kruger every few years so I’m not a regular online user. We’ll see how the online booking goes once we settle on something.

If we need to make changes after booking online is that process the same? In the past it always seemed rather complicated and I was worried I might accidentally cancel the entire reservation. I always ended up making an international phone call at some odd hour.
Karin Mitton
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton »

homesweetafrica wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:42 pm If we need to make changes after booking online is that process the same? In the past it always seemed rather complicated and I was worried I might accidentally cancel the entire reservation. I always ended up making an international phone call at some odd hour.
I made an online booking and when I wanted to add 2 nights the online system said I had no active reservations. So I made a reservation for the 2 nights, could not find that one either after the fact and had to phone central reservations to confirm all in order. Maybe I need to go on training. :roll:
homesweetafrica

Well, that doesn’t bode well! We’ll just have to try and get it right the first time.
It’s not easy doing this from the other side of the world. We’ve got to book flights too and right now I’m waiting for a better price than what I’m seeing. In the mean time Kruger bookings are filling up. Such a balancing act. But, I’m thankful for this “problem” because many don’t get the opportunity to visit such a wonderful place.
MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS »

But, I’m thankful for this “problem” because many don’t get the opportunity to visit such a wonderful place.
:D Hope you will manage and wishing you the bestest ever Kruger trip, homesweetafrica :gflower:
aquila non capit muscas
homesweetafrica

Thank you MATTHYS. :)

Next question that may not have an answer at this point in time…

Does anyone know the dates for SANParks week 2024? It may be the week in September we are looking at and anticipating the crowds doesn’t excite me.
lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen »

Dates for #SANationalParksWeek are yet to be set. It is usually around Heritage Day (24th of September), if that helps. Some parks include either of both weekends leading to and after Parks Week.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West
homesweetafrica

Thank you lion queen, That is helpful. We are looking at the week of 15-21 Sept so hopefully we’ll be ok.
RichardJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RichardJ »

I couldn't find a more appropriate thread .....

I made a comment in another thread about the increase in rates.

This happened, as when i was planning my next trip, camping in BnD, the rate shown was R455 pn.

I wanted to check what the rate increase was and found a Price list for 2021/22. On it are 3 rates, Low, Mid and High season. Checking the current list, it has the same period differentiation.

Where did i see the R455? Using the "Check Availability" for February a low season period!
However, when using the "Browse by Calendar Month" the rate charged is correct!
Starlings, Shrikes and Rollers. KNP Jan to March 21

Faces of the Kgalagadi - December 2020

The Circle of Life - retirement tour 2019