Bontebok NP: INFO

Agulhas, Bontebok, Table Mountain, Tankwa Karoo, West Coast

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

RichardJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Bontebok NP: INFO

Unread post by RichardJ »

As far as Red Hartebees go we saw a number of 'families' last year. But nothing smaller than Grey Rhebok.
Starlings, Shrikes and Rollers. KNP Jan to March 21

Faces of the Kgalagadi - December 2020

The Circle of Life - retirement tour 2019
Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stoffel »

I cannot recall seeing either grysbok or steenbok in the park since the 60's, when I visited Bontebok for the first time. However we were privileged to watch some interesting interaction between bat-eared foxes and a bontebok (do you call it a ram or a bull?). It seemed as if two bat-ears were teasing the bontebok by running around it in circles and the bontebok trying to chase them away. It kept on for a few minutes until the bat-ears decided they had enough of the game and ran away.

The last time I visited the park was for a one-night stay in one of the chalets shortly after the Covid jail gates were unlocked in 2020. It is about time that I visit this little fynbos gem again. Don't visit Bontebok for the game, but rather for the peacefulness of Langelsieskraal.
RichardJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RichardJ »

Many years ago on a game drive we were told that the Nyala was the cutoff size between bull and ram.

As Bontebok is smaller it should be a ram!?

The quick reading I have just done only refers ro male and female.

I was really impressed by the birding there. 93 species seen within 24 hours within a 6 km radius from the camp site.
Starlings, Shrikes and Rollers. KNP Jan to March 21

Faces of the Kgalagadi - December 2020

The Circle of Life - retirement tour 2019
Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stoffel »

I also recall a tour guide (at a private reserve) saying that the nyala is (as you mention Richard) the cut-off point between ram/bull and ewe/cow. We were told that the male nyala is called a bull, but the female a ewe. I think it is the antelope species in South Africa with the biggest difference in size between the male and female.