Tankwa Karoo NP: INFO

Agulhas, Bontebok, Table Mountain, Tankwa Karoo, West Coast

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

Dave Moore

Re: Tankwa Karoo NP: INFO

Unread post by Dave Moore »

We were there during that extreme rain in December and the roads were damaged a lot. It did not detract from our trip though, it actually made it more exciting and interesting. As far as the punctures go, you're worrying for nothing. They maintain the roads well. We didn't have any problems with punctures. if you arrive with inferior and, or, smooth tyres then you could have problems but any decent off road biased tyre will not give you any trouble at all. Take an extra spare if you're worried.
Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kingfisha »

Thanks Matthys for the response. I hope someone who visited recently could give an updated account of the rain (hopefully lots of flowers coming), the dam level as well as how the roads look.
Otherwise I may phone the office there and get some feedback from them.
Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kingfisha »

Hi Dave
I only saw your message now, thank you for the feedback re the roads. It seems the road conditions are often mentioned and it will probably vary depending on many factors. Lets hope the flowers provide a display and the dam has received some water!
Campi

Unread post by Campi »

Hi guys,
in september I'll be making a birdwatching trip solo, with some days camping and others enjoing a bed.
I decided to Drive Big distances, because I have just twoo weeks and Karoo is a huge area, but also amazing.
My idea is spend one night in Brandvlei, and early in the morning make my way to Tankwa Guest Farm. Google's timing is like 3 and half hours, but not sure about the routes to be there, the conditions and if I can drive directly there or I should make the entrance in the park in another place after go to the Guest Farm.
Also i'm not sure about the weather conditions in that time of the year, because next day (a longer Drive again) I have planned to go to Karoo national park and sleep in my tent in the camping site.
I apreciate all your tips and suggestions.
Thanks 8)
lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen »

Campi wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:42 am Hi guys,
in september I'll be making a birdwatching trip solo, with some days camping and others enjoing a bed.
I decided to Drive Big distances, because I have just twoo weeks and Karoo is a huge area, but also amazing.
My idea is spend one night in Brandvlei, and early in the morning make my way to Tankwa Guest Farm. Google's timing is like 3 and half hours, but not sure about the routes to be there, the conditions and if I can drive directly there or I should make the entrance in the park in another place after go to the Guest Farm.
Also i'm not sure about the weather conditions in that time of the year, because next day (a longer Drive again) I have planned to go to Karoo national park and sleep in my tent in the camping site.
I apreciate all your tips and suggestions.
Thanks 8)
Hi Campi,

I'm going to try and answer some of your questions, I'm sure some friendly mites will be along to help you out with all of them

From Brandvlei to Calvinia tar road (R27) is an hour and a half drive. Then you'll have to travel from there on gravel roads to the guest farm and Tankwa Karoo NP. I would say that Google time of 3.5 hours is actually even a bit less than reality. Those gravel roads are not always in good condition and with the slate you will have to be extra careful.

Please see How to get there

September could still be cold at night, but the days are usually very nice.

Enjoy your trip, both are stunning parks
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West