Any recommendations for children's books on Kruger National Park/ South African animals?

See what other forumites recommend you should read
Tamsy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Any recommendations for children's books on Kruger National Park/ South African animals?

Unread post by Tamsy »

Hi,

I am taking an 8 year old girl and 11 year old boy to the Kruger Park in August this year. They both have limited knowledge of South African animals or the Kruger park. I am looking for books/stories that they can read/be read to to give them some knowledge and spark their interest/excitement prior to our trip.

Does anyone have any suggestions of good books for these age groups?
Many thanks
Tamara

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
arks
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Any recommendations for children's books on Kruger National Park/ South African animals?

Unread post by arks »

Hello Tamara: You don't say where you (and these children) live, but I would suggest that in addition to books, you might take the children to the zoo? That's how I learned about and became interested in wildlife as a child, so that by the time that I made my first visit to South Africa (as an adult, in the 1980s), I knew quite a lot about what I might see in KNP. What added to the experience was all that I learned once I was there ... every visit is filled with surprises and new knowledge. It was all those visits to the zoo as a child that inspired my desire to visit Africa as an adult. While some people now don't 'approve' of zoos, IMO zoos (or ad least the best ones) provide opportunitites for those who live in other parts of the world or/and in cities and towns to learn about and develop and interest in wildlife. Seeing the actual animals, even in a zoo, gives you a sense of relative size(s) and behaviour and can be much more compelling that any book. There is also a wide variety of wildlife videos. Books should always be part of the information mix, but zoo visits and videos may be more compelling for young(er) children.
RSA 2022-2023
16 November-9 February Cape Town & Darling
Tamsy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: RE: Re: Any recommendations for children's books on Kruger National Park/ South African animals?

Unread post by Tamsy »

Thanks Arks, should have said we are in the UK :)

Good idea re zoo, covid and the restrictions have switched my mind off from going places. I agree a variety of activities is a good idea. Will also look at for some good videos.

Thanks

Yoda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Any recommendations for children's books on Kruger National Park/ South African animals?

Unread post by Yoda »

Tamsy wrote:I am taking an 8 year old girl and 11 year old boy to the Kruger Park in August this year. They both have limited knowledge of South African animals or the Kruger park. I am looking for books/stories that they can read/be read to to give them some knowledge and spark their interest/excitement prior to our trip.

Does anyone have any suggestions of good books for these age groups?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Ranger-yo ... 1920217061

This book is good for both kids and adults
"It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living"
Terry Pratchett
Yoda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda »

This is my copy :

26007BB0-55EE-41B3-9468-CD56411BE664.jpeg

Edit:
I see there is a thread on the Forum on this book already:
https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtop ... 32&t=40785
"It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living"
Terry Pratchett
Tamsy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: RE: Re: Any recommendations for children's books on Kruger National Park/ South African animals?

Unread post by Tamsy »

Brilliant, thanks Yoda

Kaapsedraai
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kaapsedraai »

Hi Tamsy,
I fully agree with yoda's suggestion as I often use that publication for school projects.

We got this publication in the Parkshop, which is also a great one.
"Wildlife for Youngsters" by Gerrit T van Egdom
Kinderbook rez.jpg
Kinderbook rez.jpg (104.83 KiB) Viewed 1452 times

Kinderbook2 rez.jpg
Kinderbook2 rez.jpg (100.56 KiB) Viewed 1452 times

Not sure if it is still available in the Park.

Apologies for only responding now, but was a bit 'off line' for quite a while.
"Everything I do, is exclusively my appreciation for the love of nature and showcase my Creator's creation".
Tamsy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tamsy »

Thanks Kaapsedraai. We are off soon, so will keep an eye out for this in the park shops.