Main Camp Night Drives

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

HilaryC

Main Camp Night Drives

Unread post by HilaryC »

Good day all,
We have been fortunate enough to experience 2 Main Camp night drives in the last 6 months and I would like to provide feedback on both.
November 2020 - Lower Sabie Night Drive Last week of November 2020
Our Ranger was exceptionally knowledgeable, careful and very patient and friendly. The drive was outstanding to say the least. He ensured we adhered to the spot light rules, stayed long enough with each sighting to make it memorable and informative and drove at a pace that did not bounce us around the very large vehicle unnecessarily. It was all over far too quickly and we vowed that the next time we were in KNP we would book another.
May 2021 - Olifants Night Drive Mid May 2021
Our Ranger was introduced by a lovely lady who gave us a few rules (was a large group of people this time +/- 14) about not standing up or hanging out of the vehicle and then she left us. One of the spot lights was given the an adult couple in front of us (it was briefly explained that adults get them) who promptly gave it to their teenage son. Not once during the trip did this child adhere to the spot light rules of not shining in animals eye and at one stage a mother elephant with baby looked absolutely terrified as she tried to shield her calf and get away. The trip was a series of high speed chases, first after 2 male leopard and then the last almost slamming into a tree stump chasing a female leopard who jumped out of the way into the thick bush. At one point in the leopard chases a gentleman in front of us climbed on the side of the vehicle and stood on the 'window ledge' to look over the roof. We came across a young hyena and again the spot lights were shone directly at it, it tried to escape by running and the Ranger just sped up along side it - very distressing to see its fear. There was little to no information given (other than about the Spring Hare) and the child with the spot light was not asked or instructed once by the Ranger to stop shining the light into the animals eyes. To be honest we could not wait for it to be over.
Two vastly different experiences.
MATTHYS

Re: Main Camp Night Drives

Unread post by MATTHYS »

Welcome to the forums :gflower: and thanks for the feedback, HilaryC.
Well done to the Lower Sabie night drive ranger.
aquila non capit muscas
Karin Mitton
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Main Camp Night Drives

Unread post by Karin Mitton »

I have learnt that not all drives are created equal. I've been with both great and average guides. And the fellow travellers on the truck - some have been wonderful, and others, well, not so much.

It still doesn't stop me from going on these drives, even at camps where they may have been less than average before. I just try and make the most of it for myself.