Unread post by DinkyBird »

• Attachment Types allowed
o Images: gif jpeg jpg png tga tif tiff
o Documents: doc, docx, xls, xlsx, pdf, pptm, rtf
o Archives: .7z, zip, gz, tar, tgz

• Attachments Size limitation
o Total upload size: 3mb limit
o Total dimension size: 800 x 800px

• Attachments when replying with quote (From software site)
o "If you uploaded the image and want to copy the image into a different topic / post you can do so by going to your user control panel. Under the Overview tab click the manage attachments link. It will bring up a list of any images you uploaded. Right click the one you want and copy the link address. Place that address into your post between [img] tags."
- Dalene
RichardJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Attachments : file types; size limits

Unread post by RichardJ »

Hi All

I have been wondering how some posters get to post good quality images and others like me get an iffish quality image (no disrespect intended against anybodies images), which if you click on then you get the acceptable/good quality image. The good quality ones do not react to a 'clicking on'.

Any tips?

Second question, how and when is the watermark/copyrighting applied?
Starlings, Shrikes and Rollers. KNP Jan to March 21

Faces of the Kgalagadi - December 2020

The Circle of Life - retirement tour 2019
gbird
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gbird »

Hi Richard

If you add your images as attachments, then they will show up as lower quality “thumbnails” until you click on them. If you use an image hosting site (Photo Bucket, Imgur, Flickr ....) then they show up as full quality straight away.

Each method has its advantages.

With attachments, the image is held on the SanParks servers and will not disappear when a hosting site changes from being “free” to “pay” as happened with Tiny Pic and PhotoBucket. Smaller images load faster and use less data so are better for people who are viewing with a limited or slow internet connection.

Image hosting sites do provide a better viewing experience for those with fast and unlimited internet. I suspect though that few people bother with the “click” functionality unless there is something exceptional. Videos definitely get a lot fewer views than images which suggests that they are usually skipped.

I find image hosting sites are easier to use for trip reports because you can upload your images to the hosting site in any order, type up your report with the links to your images and then simply copy/paste to the forum as needed. (I would never use a hosting site as a form of backup!). For the odd image it is easier to use the attachment format.

Watermark/copyrighting is added in post production but you need the software to do it. Whether this is really an effective deterrent against piracy is debatable.

g
RichardJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Thanks g for the detailed explanation.

Any free hosting sites still around?

gbird
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gbird »

I am getting a bit out of my depth here so it would be best to do some research to find something to suit your needs. The tut posts for other hosting sites seem to have been deleted – no doubt to encourage people to use attachments.

Not all free hosting sites allow “hotlinking” which is needed when you post a link onto another site to show your image. Those that do allow it get no revenue from these views (it is free and no one sees their ads) so their business model may well move to a paid service in future.

Free sites have limits on number of pictures and / or size of storage. Once exceeded you will need to pay to continue using them.

When using the attachments function you should resize your images and reduce the quality. This reduces the file size, speeds up the viewing process and helps stop people copying your pictures.

I took the liberty of downloading some of your images from your recent TR. Consider this one at 4800 x 3204 pixels and 2519KB.

iIMG_1588.JPG

Resized to 700 x 463 and dropping the quality to 9 (using DPP4) results in a file of only 312KB. Other people seem to be a lot better than I am at reducing file sizes.

iIMG_1588s.JPG

For viewing on the forum there is no loss of quality.

I am still a bit jealous of all the lions that you saw.
RichardJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Thanks g, I clearly have some experimenting to do :thumbs_up:
Old dog needing to learn new tricks when technology changes ie Tinypic gone, changing cameras etc

With the time in the park we did some good Lion sightings, but then some lean 'cat' times as well :hmz: