Re: Kids/Babies in Kruger NP info.

Everything you need to know about the Wild Card program.

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

wollisie

Unread post by wollisie »

Hello, I would like to ask for advice because I do not understand the Wildcard Rules exactly. There are no individual cards for children, right? If I purchase an International Partner Card for me and another adult can I use that one in the same year for a second visit with my six yrs old son? If not, it would be the best option to buy a family card, right?

And second question: Would you recommend Malaria medication for the child If we travel in June/July? Any other vaccinations?

Cheers, Wolfgang
Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by Crested Val »

Hi Wollisle
No you will not be allowed to use the Wild Card with an adult on one visit, and a child on the other.

It is actually nothing to do with adults and children, but simply that when we buy a couple's Wild Card, we are required to give both names. These names are not allowed to be changed until the card is renewed a year later when it expires. :thumbs_up:

Yes a Family Wild Card would include 2 adults and 1 child, so that would be your best option.

Please be aware that we do not give out specific Malaria advice here. We recommend that you contact your own doctor, will know your medical history and be able to best advise you.

You might find some useful info here

Wishing you a wonderful visit. :thumbs_up:
Missing my beloved Kruger!!!
onewithnature
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by onewithnature »

As an update, you can also contact your pharmacist for malaria advice as one of the antimalarial drugs has now been descheduled and is available over the counter.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)
arks
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks »

onewithnature wrote:As an update, you can also contact your pharmacist for malaria advice as one of the antimalarial drugs has now been descheduled and is available over the counter.

That may be true in South Africa, but NOT necessarily so in other countries. Which one is now available OTC in SA?
RSA 2022-2023
16 November-9 February Cape Town & Darling
onewithnature
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by onewithnature »

No, Arks, DEFINITELY true in South Africa! But, yes, each country may be different, and so various countries around the world might still require a doctor's presrciption for the below-mentioned product(s).

The combination of atovaquone 250mg/proguanil hydrochloride 100mg (brand names include Malanil, Malateq, Mozitec and Numal) has been descheduled from a schedule 4 to a schedule 2, and is available over the counter after consultation with a pharmacist. Of course, you can still visit your doctor if you choose.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)
arks

Unread post by arks »

Thanks for the additional info. Malarone is definitely NOT available OTC in the USA.
RSA 2022-2023
16 November-9 February Cape Town & Darling