WCNP: Flowers

Agulhas, Bontebok, Table Mountain, Tankwa Karoo, West Coast

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

arks
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: WCNP: Flowers

Unread post by arks »

Jesscan & Andy, may I highly recommend the excellent Field Guide to Fynbos, by John Manning, published by Struik. I have found it a great help in identifying fynbos flowers and other fynbos plants. And if you are visiting WCNP, may I suggest that you also visit other wildflower reserves in the area. While WCNP is marvellous, only a few kilometers inland in the Darling area you will find a whole different range of flowers that don't occur at the coast.
RSA 2022-2023
16 November-9 February Cape Town & Darling
Andy M
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Andy M »

Thanks so much for your recommendations arks. John Manning's Field Guides are superb. We do have his Field Guide to Wild Flowers of South Africa, both hard copy and the e-book version. However while on our road trips we tend to leave the library of paper field guides and reference books at home utilising the electronic versions loaded on my iPad. Sadly Manning's Fynbos Field Guide is not yet available in e-book form, so we will need to purchase a paperback copy.
As for visiting other flower reserves we will while on this our biennial road trip be working our way from Namaqua Nat Park down the West Coast to WCNP then Cape Town and thereafter up the East Coast to Addo and further afield.
arks

Unread post by arks »

I'm not a fan of ebooks myself, especially for field guides, since I like to be able to flip between sections and look at several pages at a time, easier to do with a hard copy. However, being an overseas visitor, the only field guide that I travel with is my trusty Newman's bird guide. Other IDs must wait until I can work them out from photos once I'm back home :D But despite the weight, the bird guide always travels with me. :whistle:
RSA 2022-2023
16 November-9 February Cape Town & Darling
Kaapsedraai
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kaapsedraai »

hilda, barryels, Jesscan1, Andy M and arks - :thanx: for all the kind feedback

Jesscan1 wrote:...Your info is going to make our lives much easier with the ID of flowers and plants when we go to WCNP in August...

Jesscan1, it is quite a challeng to ID these flowers and hope I have done it correctly :D

Andy M wrote:...It is a wonderful initiative to post pics along with the names of the flowers. This will definitely be a great help to us when we visit WCNP in August 2019.
We still have stacks of flower pics taken in August 2017 that we have not been able to identify.

Andy M, the flora info on the WCNP home page is extremely limited not any list with names available which will also be of great help. :hmz:

arks wrote:.... I highly recommend the excellent Field Guide to Fynbos, by John Manning, published by Struik. ...

arks, I do have this book and have come across one or two flowers that are not in the book such as the 'Common sorrel', and eventually by chance saw a sketched drawing. It is quite a challenge to get the Eng and Afr name, but it will be great to have this included in the mentioned publications similar to that of the Bird ID books. :D :thumbs_up:
"Everything I do, is exclusively my appreciation for the love of nature and showcase my Creator's creation".
Kaapsedraai
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Let us see if I have ID'ed these correctly... :D

16. Zantedeschia (Arum lily / Varklelie)
fo Arum lily.jpg

17. Rumex acetosa (Common sorrel / Gewone suring)
fo Gewone suring 2.jpg

fo Gewone suring.jpg

18. Podalyria myrtifolia (Cape Sweetpea / Keurtjie)
fo Podalyria myrtifolia of Cape Sweetpea of Keurtjie.jpg

19. Romulea hirsute (Frutang / Froetang, Knikkertjie)
fo Romulea hirsuta (Froetang).jpg

20. Indigofera procumbens (Trailing indigo / Lewertjie)
fo Lewertjie1.jpg

fo Lewertjie2.jpg

21. Wachendorfia paniculata (Hairy Mirrorface / Koffiepit, Rooikanol ,Rooiknol , Spinnekopblom

fo Spinnekopblom.jpg
"Everything I do, is exclusively my appreciation for the love of nature and showcase my Creator's creation".
Kaapsedraai
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

22. Lampranthus aureus (Golden vygie / Goue vygie)
fo Gouevygie.jpg

23. Ruschia tecta (Sleaf Turretfig / Beesvygie)
fo Beesvygie.jpg

24. Lampranthus vernalis (Purple cushion vygie/ Perskussinkie)
fo Lampranthus vernalis.jpg

25. Senecio maritimus (Sea Ragwort / Strandhongerblom)
fo Strandhongerblom2.jpg

26. Hymenolepis crithmifolia (Coulter bush / Koulterbos)
fo Kouterbos.jpg

27. Euphorbia mauritanica (Yellow milk bush /Geelmelkbos, Beesmelkbos)

fo Geelmelkbos.jpg

If there are any flowers not id'ed correctly, please feel free to share info so we can a more accurate reference. :D :thumbs_up:
hilda
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by hilda »

Wow, these flowers are beautiful! Thanks for sharing Kaapsedraai! As far as the IDs go, I would rather not give it a try! :clap: :clap:
"Like a sunflower, always turn toward the light." Eleanor Brown.
manicwalker
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by manicwalker »

Kaapsedraai,
Wow.... you are a very dedicated person, to ID all these beautiful flowers :thumbs_up:
I must admit I have done quite a few trips to "look at the flowers" and thats exactly what I do....
I dont identify them, :redface: I just admire their beauty :whistle: :whistle:
Thanks once again for the info on the wild flowers :clap:
Oh I can identify an arum lilly :wink: :dance: :dance:
Kaapsedraai
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

manicwalker, I guess it is like trying to id birds :D and dragon & damselflies :lol:
They can be quite challenging at times :thumbs_up:
MeezersUK

Unread post by MeezersUK »

Is there any update on the flowers?
July 2017 Berg en Dal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Biyamiti
November 2021 Letaba, Shingwedzi, Punda Maria, Mopani
Kaapsedraai
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

MeezersUK wrote:Is there any update on the flowers?

MeezersUK, according to some reports the flowers are beautiful and seems to be a lot better than last year.
If you are interested, I would suggest a visit sooner than later is suggested. :thumbs_up: