Kruger Tablets.

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

Gemma T

Kruger tablets Look out?

Unread post by Gemma T »

Hi
I haven’t posted for a while but I’m hoping someone here can help. I’m following a post of FB about lions at Kruger Tablets and I know it has been discussed elsewhere that the official brown lookout sign that starts with “you can alight here at your own risk” has been removed several years ago but there are many arguing that it is still permitted to get out there (as the sign that remains says “don’t leave the demarcation area”.

Could someone clarify please?
When I'm not in the Park, I'm thinking of it...
Bittersweet Return to Paradise TR - Aug 2011
Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Kruger tablets Look out?

Unread post by Crested Val »

If you read further down, Rob Perfit has posted a screenshot from a comment from Les Gee who at the time was a SANParks employee (Lessgo).

She categorically states that we are not permitted to get out there!!

As we know, the rules of the park state that we are not allowed to get out of our vehicles unless told that we can. (Certain bridges, lookout sites etc. and always at our own risk!!) So as there is no sign, there should not be a problem. Visitors SHOULD know they cannot get out.

However there used to be a sign, and we used to be able to get out, so people remember this, and insist it is still ok to do it. There are also old photos from the days when we could get out, which people see, and get confused!! :thumbs_up:
Missing my beloved Kruger!!!
Gemma T

Unread post by Gemma T »

Thanks Val...Rob hadn’t posted that when I asked.
Just frustrated me.
Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by Crested Val »

Ha ha, I know all about the frustration that our SANParks Facebook pages (especially Kruger) can give us!!!! :wall:
So many members who are so sure that they are correct, and will not listen to those who actually do have the correct info!! :evil:

BTW, nice to see you here again Gemma, don't be a stranger!!! :dance:
Missing my beloved Kruger!!!
Elsa

Unread post by Elsa »

I must admit I don't think I would feel comfortable getting out and walking that far away from the car. :shock:
As I recall there is a sign or was and I will try and confirm it next month when we are passing by there to say, no placing of caskets or other materials allowed as I think was a bit of a problem in the recent years.
but certainly no sign saying one may alight from the vehicle as there was in past years and that is the bottom line. :thumbs_up:
Take time each day to be with nature
Gemma T

Unread post by Gemma T »

Thanks Elsa :D
DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird »

We have asked Kruger for clarity on this.
- Dalene
DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird »

The response from Senior Management:

Kruger tablets is officially a get-out point while Hippo Pools is a lookout point, but guests need to remain in their vehicles.

- Dalene
Hippotragus
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus »

Thank you, DB.

Maybe, to save further confusion, appropriate signs should be erected - at Kruger Tablets, one saying "alight from vehicle at own risk etc. etc." and at Hippo Pools one saying "remain in vehicle, do not get out". When I was last at Hippo Pools there was no sign and people remember when Daniel, the guide, was there and assume they can still walk away from their cars.
Melaka
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Kruger Tablets.

Unread post by Melaka »

I was interested in this thread so when we visited earlier this month I photographed the signs at Hippo Pools and Kruger Tablets, both of which looked fairly new. At Hippo Pools it says 'stay in vehicle'. At Kruger tablets it says 'stay within demarcated area'. As with most get outs (other than the bridges) the area is not clearly demarcated. The 2018 Honeyguide map shows both Kruger Tablets and Orpen Rocks as alighting points but the 2012 Tinker does not.
Best wishes
David