KTP Leopard: N!xau

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

jan.dup

Re: Kgalagadi leopard identification

Unread post by jan.dup »

Hi wanderw attached a few pics - he was very very weak and could hardly move wen we saw him on the 16th. When we saw him on the 18th he was lying with his head in the water behind the reservoir and was barely breathing - I didn't take pictures then as this was too sad a sight for me. It is encouraging though that a report came in of a sighting on the 21st as I really thought he was at his end.

N!xau
N!xau

N!xau
N!xau

N!xau
N!xau
wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Unread post by wanderw »

@jan.dup - Many thanks for posting. A sad sight! N!xau was first seen in Feb 2009. At the time, he must have been 3 to 4+ years old, which makes him at least 12 years old now. (A mature leopard). It does not look good! What time did you see him on the 16th and 18th? Was the male lion still around when you saw him on the 16th?
Kgalagadi Leopard Identification Guide and Sightings Form
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

F2/2014
jan.dup

Unread post by jan.dup »

@wanderw - we saw him on the 16th at round about 11 am and on the 18th in the region of between 12 am and 1 pm. It seemed as he was just staying put in the bush around the reservoir (tank). There is/was a leak in the pipes at the back of the reservoir (tank) and he from time to time got up to drink some water in the puddle created by the leaking pipe - therefor the "wet" look as can be seen in the pics. At the time there were no lions around. We went up to Gharagab on the 18th and came back past Kousant on the 19th but as there were a lot of big lion tracks at the entrance to the waterhole I decided not to have a look as I was not keen to see him torn apart could that have been the case. He was so weak that I could not see him getting away, up a tree or even catching anything. In hindsight I must have had a look as this is nature and we must accept it in all its forms. Maybe they would have left him alone as was the case with the dying leopard at Nossob.

Although sad we told him in our hearts that he was a majestic creature and he is/was loved by many. An honor to have been with him.