Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2017 - Nominations Open!

SANParks Competitions and Forum Awards
DinkyBird

Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2017 - Nominations Open!

Unread post by DinkyBird »

Dear SANParks forum members

This is YOUR chance, as a member of the SANParks forums, to reward excellence in the SANParks workplace.

The Kudu Awards ceremony will be held in November 2017. The Annual 2017 Kudu Awards Open for Entries.

The Website Community Choice Award is for an individual who is nominated and voted for on the SANParks Web Forums by SANParks Web Forum members for exceptional service in the workplace. This award can provide deserved recognition for some of the unsung heroes in the parks (whether they are online or not).

wanda's post in 2007 when the WCCA was initiated wrote:The Kudu Awards, which is aimed at recognising excellent contributions to conservation by external stakeholders, is open to public contributions and has always been and I would like to encourage you to throw in your lot before the closing date. The Chief Executive Award, however, which is aimed at rewarding and recognising excellent performance by SANParks staff members and is part of the umbrella that is called Kudu Awards for logistical reasons, is one that has not been open to public participation.

This website forumite category then is one that is aimed at giving our valued stakeholders an opportunity to choose the person they consider to have been the best service provider to the public within SANParks as our staff cannot be chosen for the external Kudu Award.

I must also add that members of our Executive Management do not qualify for a Chief Executive Award and may not be nominated in this category either, in case you were considering anyone of them.

Please note that SANParks Communications personnel at Groenkloof, and in the Clusters/Parks, also do not qualify for nomination for the WCCA.

Please read the Rules and Guidelines below on how to nominate and how to vote.

Once the nominations are all in, they will be listed on the forums and a voting process will take place where you, the SANParks Forum member can cast your vote for the nominee of your choice.

All nominees, motivations and the results of the voting process will be submitted to the Kudu Award Panel for final adjudication.

Rules and Guidelines

Timelines:
Nominations will close at midnight CAT on 19 October 2017

Voting will begin on 20 October 2017 and will close at 13:00 CAT on 2 November 2017

Who is eligible to nominate and to vote:
1. All registered SANParks Forum members who have registered on the forums on or before 20 September 2017 and have a minimum post count of 20, may nominate and have one vote.

2. Forum moderators may not nominate.

Nomination process:
1. Please remember to provide the full name of the person you are nominating,
the park that they are stationed at and,
your motivation for why you are nominating them.
Please ask the moderators for assistance if you do not have the full name of the person you wish to nominate.

2. Post your nomination on this topic. You may nominate as many candidates you feel worthy of a nomination. If the candidate of your choice has already been nominated by another forum member, you may nominate them again. Being nominated for this award is an honour, so let us honour these deserving people.

3. Post each candidate/nomination in a separate post.

4. No discussion nor chit chat is allowed in this topic.

5. Any evidence of lobbying or canvassing for nominations and/or votes for, or on behalf, of a nominee, will result in the nominee being disqualified.

Qualification for nomination:
1. Personnel in the Communication department of SANParks and SANParks Executive Management may not be nominated.

2. Only SANParks employees qualify for nomination.

Voting process:
1. All nominees will be placed on a 'ballot list' on the forums in alphabetical order.

2. Only registered SANParks Forum members who have registered on the SANParks forum on or before 20 September 2017 and have a minimum post count of 20 may vote.

3. Only one vote per forum member.

4. Votes will be cast by a process of emailing SANParks (email address will be provided once the voting process starts) from the email address your user name on the forums is registered at. (mods can assist you to change defunct email addresses)

5. In the email state your forum username and the nominee you are voting for.

Should you have any questions please PM any of the forum moderators.[/quote]
- Dalene
Hippotragus
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2017 - Nominations Open!

Unread post by Hippotragus »

I would like to nominate FRIK ROSSOUW.

Frik Rossouw joined Sanparks in 1995, after serving as a police officer in the Pafuri area.

He is now employed at the Environmental Crime Investigations unit in Kruger Park (ECI). He is responsible, with others, for examining environmental crime sites - mostly cases of poaching. It is a strenuous job, involving much travelling (often on foot) in hot conditions and, when getting to the crime scene, very unpleasant sights and smells. This is a very important job in the battle against poaching.

Frik also has the important job of Firearm Control Co-ordination Officer in KNP. This includes the issuing of firearm permits to guides, field rangers, people working at ECI sites etc., when they have been put though practical competency tests.

Frik has also been involved in the annual cricket weekend at Skukuza, which is attended by Forum members and Sanparks staff from various National Parks. He organises the teams, prepares the field and even polishes the trophies!

Frik always has a smile, however pre-occupied he is.
Last edited by Hippotragus on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hippotragus
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I would like to nominate JOHAN DE BEER.

Johan is the Manager of the K9 Unit in Kruger National Park.

Johan is responsible for the kennels near the Phabeni Gate in Kruger National Park. He does not have any other Sanparks employees working with him at the kennels. Sanparks Honorary Rangers, after passing a weekend training course, do voluntary duty at the centre. If there are no volunteers, Johan has to clean kennels, feed dogs and do maintenance.

The kennels at the unit house a variety of dogs - tracking, sniffer, attack dogs. They are kept at the centre before being assigned to a handler and being sent to do duty at gates and camps in the park. Injured or sick dogs also go to the centre. If a handler goes on leave, his dog also gets housed temporarily at the centre.

Johan is passionate about his job and all the dogs. The centre is immaculate and all the dogs are happy and well looked-after.
George_Brits
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by George_Brits »

I would like to nominate Rodgers Hobyane

Rodgers Hobyane is one of the caretakers at Tsendze Rustic Camp near the Mooiplaas picnic site.

He is high up on the list of reasons to love the place, his friendly and helpfulness goes a long way. He comes around in the evening to check everything is okay, or perhaps to share the secret hiding place of an owl.

The ablutions and kitchen facility is always neat and tidy and nowhere in the Kruger National Park will you find a cleaner braaigrid than those that is being cleaned by Rodgers.
Maargat G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Maargat G »

Hippotragus wrote:I would like to nominate FRIK ROSSOUW.

Frik Rossouw joined Sanparks in 1995, after serving as a police officer in the Pafuri area.

He is now employed at the Environmental Crime Investigations unit in Kruger Park (ECI). He is responsible, with others, for examining environmental crime sites - mostly cases of poaching. It is a strenuous job, involving much travelling (often on foot) in hot conditions and, when getting to the crime scene, very unpleasant sights and smells. This is a very important job in the battle against poaching.

Frik also has the important job of Firearm Control Co-ordination Officer in KNP. This includes the issuing of firearm permits to guides, field rangers, people working at ECI sites etc., when they have been put though practical competency tests.

Frik has also been involved in the annual cricket weekend at Skukuza, which is attended by Forum members and Sanparks staff from various National Parks. He organises the teams, prepares the field and even polishes the trophies!

I second this!
Ratpack Member.

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!
Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ »

Maargat G wrote:

I second this!

And I would definitely 'third' it! It is impossible to write about all he does, and always so cheerfully.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!
RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by RosemaryH »

I would also like to nominate Frik Rossouw for this award.
Rose
RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by RosemaryH »

I would like to nominate Zondi & Nikiwe Seepane - Camp Attendants Maroela Camp - KNP

For their dedication and pride seen & taken in the duties and for their consistent friendly attitude and helpfulness towards visitors.
Rose
Karin Mitton
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton »

I would like to nominate Sweetness Sinyongo
She was a cleaner in Addo when we visited in December 2016, and I am happy to hear that she has now been promoted to Supervisor.
We had an unpleasant experience when monkeys got into our chalet and wrecked havoc. It was already very late in the evening, but Sweetness came and cleaned the mess despite the late hour. She was friendly and helpful and thorough, and ensured we were able to sleep in a clean chalet that night.
ritad
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ritad »

I will nominate Surprise Hlatshwayo stayed in Biyamiti Camp Reception. KNP

I have never seen a people who is so happy, friendly and full of enthusiasmus in his work.
Hippotragus
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I wish to nominate Lucia Manganye and Enos Khosa who look after the Babalala Picnic Site in Kruger.

The picnic site and toilets are clean and tidy. The toilets were the first on our current trip to have paper towels in the dispenser and were very clean.

The tables and chairs were clean and neatly arranged. Skottles were fairly new and in good condition.
PNF
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by PNF »

I would like to nominate GIVEN SEEMELA andPHENIAS MALULEKE - cleaners at the Shingwedzi Camp site.
Both of these gentlemen show pride in their work and are more than willing to go the extra mile to assist their "customers" - the campers. Not only are the braai's kept spotlessly clean but the ablutions are also a pleasure to use. Neither man is young (Phenias is due to retire within the next couple of years after more than 35 years service at Shingwedzi!) but manage to put some of their younger co-workers to shame with their energy.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote
Benjamin Franklin
PNF
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by PNF »

I would also like to nominate DAVID MOLOBI Duty Manager, Shingwedzi and SYDWELL SHIRINDA Duty Manager Punda Maria

These gentlemen have shown that they care about the visitors and their requirements. They are both very willing to assist with any problem - small or large. They carry out their duties with smiles on their faces and a cheerful greeting for all. They make both Shingwedzi and Punda Maria a pleasure to visit.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote
Benjamin Franklin
DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird »

Congrats to ALL the nominees, and thank you to those who made the nominations! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Voting is now open, and closes on 2 Nov. Please VOTE !
- Dalene