Storms River Mouth Honeymoon Cottages

Knysna, Tsitsikamma, Wilderness

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

DinkyBird

Re: Storms River Rest Camp - HC2 heating

Unread post by DinkyBird »

There are heaters in chalets in the Storms River Rest Camp if a unit does not have heating, Obed is the Hospitality Manager of the camp and is contactable on 042 281 1607.
- Dalene
junglebird

Unread post by junglebird »

Thanks again DinkyBird.
DinkyBird

For position, I do not think you can get better than 16A, or 16 B. Can you reserve those for your visit?
- Dalene
junglebird

Thats HC2. I will request once I book but no guarantees on the allocation. And I also saw that CH2SZ and CH3S were available on my dates. Was wondering about the position as they are cheaper than HC2.
DinkyBird

Hopefully someone can assist you, as I don't know and also cannot see anything on this topic - link
- Dalene
junglebird

I booked the HC2...there was only 1 unit left and didn't wanna miss it. Moreover the others are semi detached so HC2 will be better.

Thanks for your input again DinkyBird.
reynaertdevos

Storms River accommodation - INFO

Unread post by reynaertdevos »

Hi,
I could use some advice from people who have stayed in or seen a forest hut. at Storms River Mouth Rest camp.
I would like to book the forest hut FH2S which, if I understand it correctly, should have a private bathroom and communal kitchen.
Usually we prefer to cook our own meals but the other chalets who have a kitchen are quite expensive (huge price increase for 2018) hence the choice for the more budget friendly forest hut.
So -before booking- I am trying to find out what the state of the hut itself and communal kitchen is like.
Questions regarding the hut:
-Is there a fridge in the hut ?
-Is there are barbecue close to the hut ?
-Are there pots/pans/cutlery/plates in the hut ?
Questions regarding the communal kitchen ?
-Pots/pans,...
-How many stoves for cooking are provided ?
-Fridge in the communal kitchen (a communal fridge or a fridge per cabin ?)

Furthermore, were you happy with the hut, what was the view like, distance to the sea, privacy, I presume no sea views ? Some huts better than others ?
Any tips more than welcome.

This year in Kruger I was a bit disappointed by the amenities provided in the communal kitchen with only 2 stove pits and 2 washing sinks for all the chalets and for the rest nothing at all.

Thanks for your help as I really have no clue.
George_Brits
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Forest Hut FH2S at Storms River Mouth rest camp

Unread post by George_Brits »

Good morning Reynaertdevos,

First of all, welcome to the SANParks Forums! :clap:

I have stayed at the Forest Huts at Stormsriver camp recently and regarding your questions:

Is there a fridge in the hut - yes there is
Is there a bbq close to the hut - yes on the wood deck of the hut
Are there pots/pans/cutlery/plates in the hut - yes there is

Communal kitchen:
Pots/Pans - there are none but you can use those that is provided for at your accommodation
How many stoves - if memory serves me right, at the communal kitchen there are two hot plates with two plates each
Fridge in the communal kitches - yes there is

The Forest Huts dont really have a sea view, I stayed in unit nr 9 and it was right adjacent to the communal kitchen and within a short walk, I would guess about 20meters to have an ocean view, so what I have done is in the evenings to take a stroll and sit on the rocks with my glass of wine for stunning sunset views.

I hope this answers all your questions but please feel free to ask more :D
reynaertdevos

Dear George,
Thanks a million for your super fast reply. This is really very helpful and I am so happy cause I didn't expect a fridge + braai in the hut itself. That makes a world of difference. I will follow your idea of the "wine stroll" :clap:
I think I am almost ready to book then :D
Were you happy with nr 9 or would you ask for another number knowing what you know now about the forest huts ?
Thanks again and have a lovely day!
George_Brits
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by George_Brits »

reynaertdevos wrote:Dear George,
Thanks a million for your super fast reply. This is really very helpful and I am so happy cause I didn't expect a fridge + braai in the hut itself. That makes a world of difference. I will follow your idea of the "wine stroll" :clap:
I think I am almost ready to book then :D
Were you happy with nr 9 or would you ask for another number knowing what you know now about the forest huts ?
Thanks again and have a lovely day!

Hey no worries, Reynaert. Nr 9 was nice, but I would prefer nr 12, because of the amount of trees, it was a bit difficult for me to park my vehicle (a toyota fortuner) as to not "block" other guests from entering, well, nr 12, I think you will be able to see the sea as it looks directly down the access road.

The only downside of the forest huts was for me, there is no space for a cupboard to hang up your clothes and you have to keep the windows/doors closed because of the baboons that is a bit of a nuisance there.

But anyways, like I said, its really 30m to the waters edge from the Forest Hut nr 9, I dont know whats the price difference between a Forest Hut and a Forest Cabin, but these cabins (21 - 26) do have splendid ocean views.

Check the camp layout https://www.sanparks.org/images/parks/garden_route/camps/storms_river/maps/sr_restcamp_map.jpg here
reynaertdevos

Wow thanks! This map is A LOT clearer than the one on the sanparks website. :thumbs_up:
I see your point about parking your car. On the map it does indeed look like 12 has more space than 9 for parking etc,..
I would love to book one of the nrs 21 to 26 (indeed because of the view) but I suspect (I am really not sure) they are the forest cabins FA4 which is a family cottage with a whopping R2200 in 2018 which is way over my budget. Forest huts seem to be much cheaper because they are only for 2. My main concern was the fridge, braai and pots/pans in the forest hut so that's been cleared up thanks to you. Was there an ensuite bathroom in your hut ?