luislang
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by luislang »

Numbi Gate
ImageLarge

Curio shop at the gate
ImageLarge
Last edited by Elsa on Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Resizing pics.
The golden rule of life - Do unto others as you want done unto yourself
cadac

Cheetahs at Numbi

Unread post by cadac »

On the 11th of Aug 2007 we entered the KRUGER at Numbi at 6:00am.
We just went there for the day. It was very very busy because of the long weekend.
About 2km from the gate we spotted a hyena in the road ahead of us.
While we were looking at the Hyena, there was another car in front of us.
At first we thought they were also looking at the hyena, but it was not to be....
TWO CHEETAHS!!! this is what they were looking at.
At first the couple was sitting on ant hill looking at zebras in the distance. We didn’t want to lose so we waited until they got up and that wasn’t more than 10min.
We followed them for 45 min as they walked a long the road next to us...

MAD NIMROD AND CADAC
life's for living
Elsa

Unread post by Elsa »

Hi cadac, and welcome

In June we had a sighting of 4 Cheetah, I would say about the same place as yours, so it seems they are hanging around that area.
Take time each day to be with nature
cadac

animals at pretoriuskop

Unread post by cadac »

We regularly visit the Kruger park as day visitors because we live in White River.
We enter at Numbi gate and love the Fayi loop and other circle roads around the koppies at Pretoriuskop because we always see lots of animal sightings.
Between Numbi and pretoriuskop we nearly always see buffalo, ***, lions (at least 4 times the last year), zebras, giraffe, and lots of small game.
We were especially lucky the last time to see "rooi ribbok" and "rietbok", and a Leopard.
I'll post some photos of the sightings...all we haven't seen is wild dogs :lol:
life's for living
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Numbi Gate

Unread post by Meandering Mouse »

I do agree :thumbs_up:

How often do you see this?

The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.
Tony Park

Re: R538 to Numbi Gate

Unread post by Tony Park »

I've used it plenty of times without trouble. I'm usually coming from Joburg and prefer to go through the hills from White River on the R40 to Hazyview and then enter via Phabeni if I have time, because then you get a nicer drive through the park to P/Kop.

One piece of advice I would give you about the R538 is to avoid it early morning and late afternoon as there are plenty of big buses and taxis on the road then.

cheers

Tony
Safari Gal

Re: R538 to Numbi Gate

Unread post by Safari Gal »

If you use the R40 from Nelspruit, it is 19 kms to White River, 47kms from White River to Hazyview (still on the R40) and then 12kms from Hazyview to Phabeni.
Calling all no-kudu horn mites to join the no-kudu horn quiz.
bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Travelling to Numbi Gate

Unread post by bert »

Hi Riaan
Traveled a different route last november
N4 past Nelspruit
Turnof to the airport/White river R538
Before White River turn right on the R538 (Numbi gate sign)
stayed on the R538 till the turnof Numbi

Then, saw few minor potholes and had not trouble with taxis, pedestrians etc.
Joep Stevens
Guru
Guru

Re: Numbi Gate

Unread post by Joep Stevens »

I regularly use the Numbi Road as it is the most direct from Gauteng to Skukuza. However, the road has some challenges, both in the surface quality and then traffic density and character. If you are hasty, do not use Numbi! If you have the patience and take it easy it's an nice drive. Yes, potholes there still are and I noted the turnoff sign to Numbi from the southern approach is missing, so guests that don't know the road, could well miss the turnoff and end up in Hazyview. Alternatives are Phabeni and Malelane.

Thank you.

JOEP STEVENS
General Manager: Tourism Operations
Hippotragus
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus »

It is probably best, if one has enough time, to continue on the N4 and enter KNP at either Malelane or Crocodile Bridge Gates. The N4 is a good, fast road and the only real difference in time is the longer distance in the park, with the lower speed limit.

We are going up on 5th March and will enter at either Malelane or Crocodile Bridge - we are staying at Skukuza.
Elsa

Unread post by Elsa »

There is still a general advisory out re this road and gate but it does seem to change from day to day. Here
So the best thing is to keep an eye on the website close to the time and if there is any major problems it does get updated.
The latest one indicated it was OK Numbi Gate open
wildebeeste

Unread post by wildebeeste »

We visit Kruger almost every year during May. Our favourite drive to Pretoriouskop from Nelspruit is on R538 to Numbi Gate, after we pick up supplies at White River. We drive carefully, to avoid as many potholes as possible, and since we are travelling the route in early/mid afternoon, the traffic is not unduly heavy.

I have to admit that, in 2012 when we took our families with us, I missed the turnoff to the Numbi Gate because the sign had been removed, ending up in Hazyview. I received a fair bit of ragging as a result.
fee

Unread post by fee »

From the R40 to Numbi it takes about 15-20 minutes.

At the R40 T junction, turn right and continue on that main road to the turnoff to Numbi its approx 10 km. There is a traffic light intersection where you need to turn left to go towards Numbi gate. When I was there last the road sign was down and lying on the side of the road due to roadworks, so watch out that you don't miss it.

There are a number of potholes in the last stretch of road with animals roaming around so do be careful.
Elsa

Unread post by Elsa »

Please all do be aware of the report posted by Mischief on the road conditions to Numbi Gate.
Advisory - road conditions en route to Kruger gates
Mischief
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief »

viewtopic.php?p=2443893#p2443893
Hi Reza,

This is a report I posted after going through Numbi Gate on the 19 December 2016.Not much has changed at all and in fact the fringes of the tar roads after all the rain we have had in this area are also rather dicey.For a quickie day trip,I would still strongly recommend Phabeni Gate and would take the route the Albert has suggested in this thread.

Once you go through Phabeni you can take the S3 Albasini Road towards Numbi gate.We have always been lucky with grey one sightings and Meestel Dam is an absolute must.
An even nicer route is the S3 Sabie River Road towards Skukuza which is literally the first turn off to your left after Phabeni Gate but again with all the rain we have had this road may be slightly worse for wear.

Aaahhh I could go on and on,I may visit the Park this weekend....will definitely go through Phabeni and could give you some feedback during the course of next week. :gflower: :lol: :lol:
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P