KTP Leopard: Lorato

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

Muhammad
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

KTP Leopard: Lorato

Unread post by Muhammad »

Lorato in Setswana which means love.

New leopard as identified by Matthew.first seen and reported 30th June 2015.

My sighting at Kwang on 21st July 2015.

Leopard named: Lorato

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Kgalagadi leopard identification

Unread post by AstroMatt »

Thanks for the report Muhammad, the photos are great and so useful.

Lorato is officially the projects 100th identified leopard!! A big thanks must go to everyone on this forum who have posted photos and sighting info over the years. Who would have thought that we would reach such a milestone.

:clap: :clap:
Kgalagadi Leopard Project
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014
JimS
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by JimS »

On a recent visit to Kgalagadi in mid October we were lucky enough to photograph this young leopard at the Cubje Quap waterhole north of Nossob. Having seen a booklet by Dr Matthew Schurch on Kgalagadi leopards we mailed Matthew some pictures hoping that he could provide some information on this leopard, he replied,

"You saw the young male called Lorato. He's a very new leopard for the project with his first report only in June this year. He's only been seen a few times with CQ being the furthest south so far"

So we are very excited to have seen and photographed a leopard seen only a few times.

Matthew sent us this info on himself and the leopard project

"Firstly let me introduce myself. I am a Astronomical Post-Doctoral Researcher at the University of Cape Town. After visiting the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park in February 2011, and seeing a young leopard I became intrigued into finding out the history of this leopard. So I looked on the SANParks forum and found a useful thread under the Arid parks tab on leopard identification. As a result of seeing this I have spent a lot of time trying to summarise this information into a usable format so that I may be able to identify leopards both from home behind the computer and whilst in the park.

I have now produced a booklet with identification information for around 100 leopards (I hope this number will grow). This booklet uses photos posted from other SANParks forumites and members of the Public. It summarises sighting information into ranges and past histories, i.e. parentage and offspring. I plan to make this booklet freely available to SANParks, all forumites and members of the public on on the web, and general visitors to the park (at the reception points) so that they too might be able to identify the leopards that they see on trips. I do not intend to sell/make any profit from this booklet."

[email protected]
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards
https://www.facebook.com/KTPLeopards

We would encourage anyone taking photographs of leopards in the Kgalagadi to send Matthew copies of the pictures so that the booklet on the Kgalagadi leopards can be expanded.

Jim & Christine Stockton.

ImageLeopard 3 Reduced by Jim, on Flickr

ImageLeopard 2 Reduced by Jim, on Flickr

ImageLeopard 1 Reduced by Jim, on Flickr
wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Unread post by wanderw »

@JimS - Fantastic sighting and pix of Lorato! :dance: Thanks for posting! :D

Just to expand on what JimS has said above - If any forumites see and have photos of a Kgalagadi leopard(recent AND also historical), please report to the project (Link to project - at the end of my post) and/or post on this thread. Do not underestimate the importance of old pix - apart from other things, it can help us piece together family trees, very NB information when Matthew writes up his scientific paper. :thumbs_up:

Many thanks!
Kgalagadi Leopard Identification Guide and Sightings Form

F2/2014
gannet
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gannet »

September 2015: 'Lorato' at Kwang
Cheers, Ian
Attachments
Kgalagadi Leopard 'Lorato' (4) Kwang.jpg
Kgalagadi Leopard 'Lorato' (3) Kwang.jpg
AVIATION IN ITSELF IS NOT INHERENTLY DANGEROUS, BUT TO AN EVEN GREATER DEGREE THAN THE SEA,
IT IS TERRIBLY UNFORGIVING OF ANY CARELESSNESS, INCAPACITY OR NEGLECT.

GOOD JUDGEMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE AND EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGEMENT.
wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Unread post by wanderw »

@gannet - Lovely sighting and pix of Lorato! Also, thanks for your post here as well as reporting this to the project. :gflower:
Kgalagadi Leopard Identification Guide and Sightings Form

F2/2014
gannet
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Kgalagadi Leopard identification

Unread post by gannet »

kyknetta - my guess is that AstroMatt (Kgalagadi Leopard Project) will have many of the "name=meaning" answers.

Offhand, the 2 leopards that we have seen:
'Lorato' (Kwang-Sept.2015) = Love (Setswana)

Cheers, Ian
Attachments
Lorato -Kwang 2015.09.07.jpg
AVIATION IN ITSELF IS NOT INHERENTLY DANGEROUS, BUT TO AN EVEN GREATER DEGREE THAN THE SEA,
IT IS TERRIBLY UNFORGIVING OF ANY CARELESSNESS, INCAPACITY OR NEGLECT.

GOOD JUDGEMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE AND EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGEMENT.