KTP Leopard: Tebogo

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

KTP Leopard: Tebogo

Unread post by wanderw »

Tebogo is a word in Tswana which means "We are thankful"

Note: Steffi's leopard is Tebogo
Thank you Steffi for permission to post. :gflower:
Following pix taken by Steffi Peter at Ljiersdraai waterhole on 1st June 2013 from noon to 2pm.

Going by the pix - looks like a young female!
A new leopard? :hmz: ... or Tobogo?

It is virtually impossible to compare spot patterns with the only 2 pix of Tobogo that are available. Also, the guide has Tobogo down as being a male, however this is not 100% certain as pix are not that clear. For now it looks like Steffi has found a new leopard. If more pix of Tobogo are posted here or sent to AstroMatt :pray: , hopefully a proper comparison of spot patterns can be made and a conclusion can be reached one way or the other.
Last edited by wanderw on Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kgalagadi Leopard Identification Guide and Sightings Form
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

F2/2014
AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tebogo

Unread post by AstroMatt »

@Koppycat....thanks for letting us know about the leopard :thumbs_up: it really made our day particularly as it was so close to our camp. Thanks also for taking our key back....Eric tried to trick us into believing that you never dropped it off :big_eyes:

So the next sighting we had was in the Grootkolk area. Again we were fortunate enough to have a tip off on the night of the 9th December. Andries informed me that the guests who had just checked into Unit 1 had seen a leopard feeding on a kill some where south of the camp. When I went over to ask them about it they told me that it was exactly 20kms South of Grootkolk but that they hadn't managed to get a photo, even through the leopard was only a few metres from the road. The kill was stashed under a fallen down tree. Whoever this was a big thank you :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

So the following morning we quickly made our way down and and to our amazement we found Tebogo lying just off the road next to a fallen down tree cleaning his paws at just after 6am. We couldn't see him well at first as the driedoring was very high but we could see the kill and enough of him for an ID.

Pretty soon he decided to get up and go for a little wander. He was very relaxed and looked well fed.

We then noticed that far on the other side of the river there was a spotted hyena coming down the bank with a leg in his mouth. :? It had rained a lot the past few days and there was a lot of water in the river. He came down to drink and bath a bit.

To our utter amazement Tebogo decided that he was quite interested in the hyena and started to stalk him. He walked directly at him and started to crouch down low! :hmz:

Eventually the hyena caught wind of him and charged. Tebogo quickly darted away in the direction of a big tree. What he was up to I don't know...I guess young cats are just curious! :roll:

The hyena then made a be line directly back along the route Tebogo had taken and we through he was going to steal the kill :( But for some reason he ignored it and wandered back across the river and up the bank towards where he'd come from. It was whilst watching him that we suddenly realised that there was a second leopard hanging out in a tree! :big_eyes: By this time it was 7am and we had another car at the sighting.

I've only just realised this tonight that for the second time in my life I've taken a photo of a leopard and not realised it! :redface: If you didn't notice it then in the picture of the hyena with the leg in his mouth you can see a leopard hanging out! :slap:

We were able to identify the second leopard as Safran (even at this far distance). She was not happy with the hyena sniffing around. I've also just noticed tonight that there was a springbok head in the tree! So there were two kills.

Tebogo then decided that he hadn't seen enough of hyenas so he decided to go and say a second hello :wall: He walked directly up the bank towards the hyena and mum. You can see all three in this picture.

Unsurprisingly the hyena charged again and Tebogo dashed off. He was lucky to make it into a small near by tree before the hyena arrived. The hyena sat under this tree for quite a while. In all the commotion Safran managed to slip out of the tree and disappeared somewhere. The hyena eventually wandered off and Tebogo came down and rested under the tree.

By now it was 8am and we had to leave in order to nip down to Lijersdraai for a loo stop. However, this was not the end of this sighting...more to follow when I've sorted the afternoon pictures. :tongue:
Kgalagadi Leopard Project

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014
AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tebogo

So to continue our sighting of Safran and Tebogo. Apologies if this takes a while to load for anyone....there are a few pics :redface:
On our way to the loo stop we bumped into Son Godin and PRwin (correct me if I have these names wrong). We told them of the leopards up the road and they quickly headed off. On our return journey we again bumped into them. They told us that they had found Safran in the river bed and the kill, but were confused as it was totally untouched and she looked quite full. This seemed odd to us as the kill had clearly been eaten.
When we approached the scene from the other direction we suddenly noticed that there was another kill stashed in a tree by the side of the road and it was indeed untouched. Sadly we couldn't find any leopards but we decided that with two stashed kills mere metres apart they would surely be back. So we headed home for lunch with the plan to return.

We made it back to the kill location at about 16:30 but there were no leopards in sight. We sat and checked all the trees. Suddenly we heard what we thought was a leopard call, we looked around and suddenly noticed down the road in the distance was Tebogo walking directly towards us.
He continued towards the kill tree and briefly paused before heading for the river bed.
We then realised that we had missed Safran lying in plain sight. She looked exactly like a termite mound!! We decided that it was her that had called. What happened next had us both completely speechless...Tebogo broke into a run and charged straight at Safran, they both jumped into the air and proceeded to play fight :big_eyes: Tebogo starts on the right and Safran is on the left.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Safran had decided that was enough and walked towards us whilst Tebogo wandered off for a drink. She briefly fed on the kill stashed under the tree before heading back to the river.

Tebogo again started walking towards Safran...obviously play time wasn't over!
Round 2.
At the start of many of these fights Safran appeared to be quite submissive....but ended on top :)
ImageImage
Really i think all Tebogo wanted was a cuddle :wink:

Tebogo briefly wandered off under a tree whilst Safran had a quick drink before they decided that Round 3 was on....this time they played in the river. Tebogo is on the right.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Picasa has just magically made this animated gif of the last fight.

This sighting didn't end here but i will save the rest for a second post...
Last edited by AstroMatt on Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014
AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Kgalagadi leopard identification

@Evel...I'm glad Franco was passing the info along. The camp attendants are so important to the project and they really know these leopards. I really want to try and get them some basic cameras and binoculars to document what they see as currently they have nothing. If any one has any that you'd like to donate then please PM me, or email the project.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. We really were lots for words during this sighting...and it was made all the more special because we were the only ones there for the whole of it.

So to conclude the story.
After the fight in the river they both took a breather for a few minutes. Here you can really see how Tebogo on the left is now bigger than mum!

She's done really well to raise such a great young boy...lets hope he stays clear of the bigger boys for a while.
Safran decided to wander away but Tebogo clearly wasn't finished...Round 4!
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Safran (who finishes on the left) clearly wasn't happy with Tebogo's play fighting style and gave him a good telling off!
ImageImage
ImageImage

It was at this point that I remembered that my camera would do take movies...I switched to movie (seemed like it took an age) and hoped they would play again. We were delighted when they put on one more performance for us.

In many ways this is our favourite of their play fights as you can clearly see Safran trying to calm Tebogo down half way through....and just like any young cat he takes no for an answer. It is also clear how much love there is between them.

After this we didn't think it could get any better for the rest of the trip.
With the light reaching that magical time they decided to wander over towards us and try and squeeze some more springbok into their stomachs.
Safran
Tebogo

Tebogo only fed briefly whilst Safran hid herself away under the tree eating. He then cam even close and used the car as a bit of shade whilst he cleaned himself.

Eventually like all kids he decided he was full and worn out and decided a nap was best!

Two hours had flown by and time had run out on us and we had to leave :( ....but there was still an untouched kill in the tree by the road so we made a plan to come back the following morning. :wink:

F1/2014
AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tebogo

So to follow-up the previous days play fighting we returned to the scene early the next day to see what had happened over night.

To our amazement the previously whole springbok carcass had been devoured and little more than the head and neck and a few dangly legs were left.

We retuned to the kill later in the afternoon at 16:30. As if he was waiting for our return Tebogo suddenly appeared on the bank almost exactly where Safran had come from earlier in the day.
He gave us this wonderful view crossing the road a few metres away.
Unlike the others he was quite cautious. He smelt all around the tree before he climbed in and proceeded to finish off what was left! Like N!xau he was too heavy for the higher branches.
After filling his belly he wandered down to the river....and yes I mean river. To me this photo looks more like something you might see in the Okavango Delta rather than the dry Kgalagadi.

We looked up and down the road but couldn't find Safran. Eventually time ticked away and we had to leave Tebogo lying in the shade of a tree by the river.

Three leopards feeding off the same kill on the same day....kalahari magic :)

F1/2014