What ever happened to the radio station in Kruger??

Moderator: Crested Val

aqua5

Re: radio station

Unread post by aqua5 »

hi dianne!
i have spoken to him a couple of months ago, and he explained that the powers that be felt that the station did not benefit the local community.
there was also the language issue.
the matter is closed as far as he is concerned.
i felt that he was still upset by the whole business.
" It is easy to curb the freedom of others when you see no immediate impact on you own."
-Malcolm Forbes
Penny
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Penny »

Our children had many happy hours listening to some extremely informative talks, behavioural aspects of wildlife, birdcalls and animal calls and learned a tremendous amount during the sometimes long trips and often very boring for little ones, that we forced on them in the car - it was an absolute Godsend! I do not ever recall that it was as up to the minute so as to give information on sightings so really did not impact on anyone at all. Anything that Andre Walters has a hand in has always been extremely professional and its sad that it could not be resurrected!
NO BAIL - JAIL AND NO TRADE IN *** HORN EVER!
[color=#FF0000]NO TO BUILDING OF HOTELS IN THE KRUGER NATIONAL PARK[/color
24 Sept 2015 Hlane, 25-2 Burchells, 2-4 Elephant Plains, 4-7 Satara, 7-9 Pretoriouskop, 9-15 Ngwenya, 16 Hluhluwe
The addiction is fed once again
ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ndloti »

aqua5 wrote:hi dianne!
i felt that he was still upset by the whole business.

At least Andre Walters still visits as atourist , I saw him at Mopani last Friday .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.
Vlakvarkvrou
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: What ever happened to the radio station in Kruger??

Unread post by Vlakvarkvrou »

It will be wonderfull if the radio station could make a comeback. We listened to it the whole time we were in the Park in July 1999. On our return after a few years "absence" from the Park, it was gone.
Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Rooies »

Glen79 wrote:I listen to enough media broadcasts outside the park, so the precious few days a year that I do get to KNP, is definitley not spent listening to any radio. In fact my car radio gets switched off as I am approaching the entrance gate on my arrival, and stays off the whole time im there.

Agree :thumbs_up: , no radio, no CD, no TV, no aircon!! Just pure nature.
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof
Mgulube

Unread post by Mgulube »

Man the good old days. These days we don't even think about switching the radio on (mind you, the reception is sooooo bad up here at Pafuri), but I can clearly remember being a kid and listening to the radio station in Kruger :D
Sometimes the perfect gift is a cheery smile
fee

Unread post by fee »

Hi everyone - I asked the same question some time ago as well, and kind of remember the reply was it was too expensive to keep operating.
We all loved listening to it as soon as we got in the park ... learned so much.
Hope there's a chance of starting it up again. Maybe a private concern would be the answer.
Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist »

Welcome to the forum Claire. :clap:

You still have to discover that a lot is said here with tongue firmly in cheek! :wink:

But radio is not really necessary. The music & poetry of the bush more than make up for it.

There are a lot of experienced 'bushmen & women' on the forum and surfing here will get you just about all you need to know. :thumbs_up:
Whatever : "You are right but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

Latest lifers: Red-rumped Swallow, Red Phalarope, Purple Gallinule, Chukar Partridge, Australasian Gannet, Brown Booby

Latest World Lifer: White tailed eagle
bushdad

Unread post by bushdad »

I certainly remember the radio station well and loved listening to it as we travelled during the quiet time or hot time.
Our children loved it, especially the quiz shows, the stories adapted from books and updates on latest game capture techniques and how the Parks Board were dealing with outbreaks like Anthrax, TB etc.
If I remember correctly, the station was only on for a shortish period of time (certainly not after gate closing time) and started at about 10am.
It played no music and was very informative.
People did not and could not advertise sightings and I agree, this should not be allowed.

Maybe this is a means of educating those badly behaved.
We all complain about more and more visitors not abiding/understanding the rules, possibly this is a medium we could use.
Maybe us purists should think a little outside the box - it could work.

Bushdad
claireannecarter

Unread post by claireannecarter »

Bushdad, you've hit the nail on the head with that one! :clap:

What an amazing idea!!
In today's technology driven society, the reinstatement of the radio could prove highly advantageous, instead of handing out a piece of paper reminding people of the rules and regulations, it could be broadcast on the radio....

The possibilities are endless - hey Bushdad, I recon we've got a good thing going here.... :lol:
Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist »

:hmz: Maybe from gate closing time to 22h00?

That way sightings won't be compromised and listening in the evenings might help to plan the next day.
Whatever : "You are right but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

Latest lifers: Red-rumped Swallow, Red Phalarope, Purple Gallinule, Chukar Partridge, Australasian Gannet, Brown Booby

Latest World Lifer: White tailed eagle
Tarzanboy

Communication port

Unread post by Tarzanboy »

Hi there,

Many years ago when we still had drive-in theatres in South Africa, you were able to adjust your car radio to the frequency that the Drive-in provided in order to receive the audio from the movie.

What is the chance of the Kruger having a radio station that we can tune into, providing us with valuable conservation talks by guest speakers and providing us with a direct contact number to report bad behaviour from visitors in the camp as it happens, that way keeping in touch with the visitors and the authorities?

Maybe they will think twice when they are tuned into the radio and being reported for exiting their vehicles etc.

Just a thought.