Skip to Content

Kruger birding:Birding sites in Kruger

All topics and discussions with reference to birds in all SANParks
wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:15 am

I can however direct you to good birding areas.
The hide inside Punda has proved good for me. Have seen grey-headed parrots from here.

The Mahonie loop produced Trumpeter hornbill and for the fortunate ones, or shall I say believers, crested guinea fowl.
I unfortunately have dipped on these birds numerous times.

Narina Trogon, also a dipped species for me can be seen on the loop too, especially near Witsand waterhole and Matukwale dam. I think there used to be a breeding pair at the latter dam if I can recall correctly.

Pafuri is always good. The picnic spot could even prove more valuable if you call in the help of Frank(the man with the yellow ribbon around his bins :lol: )

Just a tip, now is a good time to go do the Nyala trail too. Many migratory birds have returned to the Northern outskirts of Kruger and October is not too hot.

Kind regards
W™
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Nico
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Nico » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:00 pm

Hi Bucky, some birding hot spots near Shingwedzi is, The Low Water Bridge,Swimmingpool area, beside the restaurant or on the day visitors area and all the little loops on the Kanniedood Dam.RedRocks loop and the Mphongolo loop.Pafuri is a must. :thumbs_up:
Lets change the world of mankind into the world of kind man.[White Bull]

Loams
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Loams » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:25 pm

The whole of Shingwedzi is a hot spot in December......

Take a costume
Operation "Duke" Member

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

leopardspotter
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by leopardspotter » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:13 pm

:lol:
The loop just before Kanniedood, Shipiriwiri Loop, is also great for bird's. There isn't that many roads around Shingwedzi so you'll probably have over enough time to explore most of them. I would say during December the low-level bridge, Kanniedood road and shipiriwiri loop, which also has a river crossing- saw Nyala, green-backed Heron and many other wetland birds on this loop.
Kirsten Frost
Facebook Photography Page
FROSTstock.com

Peter Betts

Unread post by Peter Betts » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:46 am

We used to hit Shingwedzi on 26 Dec every year for 10 days when we lived in JHB JUST FOR THE BIRDS. Redrocks throws up things like African Golden Oriole. The S56 along the river is great for Broadbilled Roller, Owls, White Breasted Cuckoo Shrike etc... Its jus a pity its so far from Pafuri but great for that all the same. Try the high water bridge on the main road north in the LATE evening JUST before close.....Bat Hawk and Amur Falcon just about guaranteed....Bucky we will be at Punda for 4 days 18-22 then only 1 night at Shingwedzi before going to Shimuwini for Christmas etc maybe we can catch up and compare notes of ALL those summer birds Also Collared Palm Thrush arrives in Nov most years and is seen in the old ring of huts mostly....mega tick!!!!
Punda Maria Sept 27,28
Bateleur Sept 29,30 (free award)
Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Snoobab
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Snoobab » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:04 am

Hi Bucky
A special at Shingwedzi is the Palm Collared Thrush. If you look at the little road circle in camp just past the shop/reception it has a whole lot of palm trees in it. Scan these for the PCT as they are often there.
The high water bridge is very good at sunset for Bat Hawks, spend some time there and you might get lucky.
The back entrance in the big trees is good for Owls. Keep a look out along the Kanniedood Rd for African Barred Owl (i've seen it there in Summer often)
If you do get to Pafuri stop on the high water bridge there and look out for Spinetails. At first they might look like just another swift, but rather double check. I've seen them there before a few time. To me its the best spot for them.
Have a great trip.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:14 am

I don't know if Giant eagle owls are territorial enough to stay, but I found one in the last corner before the lookout, coming from the north.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

CUTMAN

Unread post by CUTMAN » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:05 am

Looks as if everybody forgot the birdhide at Kanniedood :? .Also just at sundown there are usually owls just outside the camp gate at the big dead tree on the left about 1km. from the gate.
Bird watching at he pool is not bad either,plenty of waders,divers and preeners. :lol:

Peter Betts

Unread post by Peter Betts » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:29 pm

Snoobab wrote:Hi Bucky
A special at Shingwedzi is the Palm Collared Thrush. If you look at the little road circle in camp just past the shop/reception it has a whole lot of palm trees in it. Scan these for the PCT as they are often there.

Snoonab I'm sure you are referring to these palm trees near the shops at Shingwedzi. I often have a siesta after lunch there so I must scan the canopy for the Collared Palm Thrush. I saw him on the roof of B46 two years ago...much prefer to see him in a tree!!
Punda Maria Sept 27,28
Bateleur Sept 29,30 (free award)
Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

bucky
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bucky » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:48 am

I know the trees , will defs go look there .(Interesting perspective photo Peter .)

Kaniedood hide , I like that also for the many hippo n croc sightings , although am always a little nervous getting out there , it looks like the ideal leopard/lion ambush spot :lol: .

I have been to Shing very often , but always searching for big game while the birding is a new pursuit , so thanks for all the special tick tips guys :thumbs_up:

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:03 pm

bucky wrote:Kaniedood hide , I like that also for the many hippo n croc sightings , although am always a little nervous getting out there , it looks like the ideal leopard/lion ambush spot :lol: .

Laine has a very interesting story to tell bout an encounter @ this hide. Laine!!! :lol:
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:47 am

I find Kanniedood hide as one of the worst for birding in Kruger. I really wish that there were more hides like Lake Panic.

Bucky, the Shingwedzi area is overall excellent for birds. Look out for Pygmy falcons, you never know how lucky you might get.

Snoobab
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Snoobab » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:12 am

wildtuinman wrote:I find Kanniedood hide as one of the worst for birding in Kruger. I really wish that there were more hides like Lake Panic.

I agree.
If you want to build a hide it needs to be at or near a section of water that will have mudflats for waders and other birds. Kanniedood is built on a rather deep and permanent pool of the Shingwedzi river. I have never seen exposed mudflats from the hide.

KNP Spokesman
Guru
Guru

Birds of a feather

Unread post by KNP Spokesman » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:25 am

Hi Johan
I would not regard myself as an expert bird guide at all. But sometimes I can spot the difference between a duck and an eagle, which is why WTM thinks I am a good bird guide because he battles with that! :twisted: :twisted: :P
He also battles with seeing and identifying open-billed storks right in front of his eyes.
If it wasn't for me checking up on him, he would have missed that lifer! Pah! :twisted: :lol:
Seriously though, speaking of birds in Kruger, the latest Birds and Birding Magazine has an extensive article on birding in the KNP written by my colleague Chris Patton (who also slips onto the forum every now and then but I am not revealing his forum name to protect the innocent!).
Anyway, try and get hold of it if you can, it really gives some good info and tips on where to see what, when.
While visiting Tamboti Tented Camp last week, I saw a barred owl right outside the unit we inspected (strangely enough, my first barred owl in Kruger) but it just shows that you never really know what you going to see where and when.
Just prior to that, I got home late to my house in the Skukuza Staff Village and there was a barn owl in the tree next to my braai area.
He saw me first and was leaning forward with his face feathers spread out so I dashed into the house to get the camera but by the time I got back out again he had flown to the next door neighbours garden.
I could still hear him calling late into the night (kinda spooky but really a magnificent experience) but I haven't seen him since then.
Previously, my owl spots in my garden have been two white faced owls and a scops owl (on a number of occasions) but never two different species in a week!
So last week it was my week for owls.
Life is tough!

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman
Kruger National Park
110 Years of Conservation Success - Now isn't that worthy of a Celebration!

KNP Spokesman
Guru
Guru

Unread post by KNP Spokesman » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:48 am

I am now checking it out and see that I might have miss-IDed this owl.
That dark line between the eyes seems to indicate a scops and not a barred.
Its just my guide shows a scops to have a very grey chest whereas this bird has got a white chest with definite "bars".
I've asked others for confirmation and will post as soon as I get it.

The guides I was with that day - one of them a big birder (although not a KNP guide) - confirmed it as a barred and, at the time, I had no reason to disagree with him.

All was revealed during that weekend and it'll need a few nights around a campfire to explain to you WTM's psychological profile (which my wife and I have analysed completely).

Glad you got into Shingwedzi for the second weekend of the Big Birding event. I am sure you'll enjoy it.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman
Kruger National Park

110 Years of Conservation Success - Now isn't that worthy of a Celebration!

Return to “Birding in SANParks”