Rule # 4 - providing a translation

Tell us what we can do better, need to clear the air, voice your concern or provide feedback about the forum
gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Rule # 4 - providing a translation

Unread post by gmlsmit »

Please note that the bold wording is my editing.

On 15 June at 11:1; I posted:

Saraf posted:

And apart from anything else, have a little respect for non-South African users of this board.

My question - where have I been disrespectful towards non South African users of this board, please explain?

Nothing was forthcoming and on 16 June:

I posted words of the following meaning : My request of 15 June seems to have been missed
I am repeating the request: where have I been disrespectful towards non South African users of this board, please explain?

I made my original post about the Beeld link at 11:15 on 14 June 2014, and added a brief translation at 11:26 on 15 June 2014 as requested by the Mods.

DB reacted at 11:26 on 14 June 2014
Dear gmlsmit, all

Quote:
4. The Forums' language is English. If you post something in any other language, please provide a complete translation of your message within the post.

I replied at 11:59 on 14 June 2014:
DearDinkybird,
1. I do respect the rules.
2. I do not want to do the translations myself as I my do so incorrectly.
3. Just maybe if anyone would like to use Google translate he/she/it should feel free to do so.

Dinkybird postedat 06:12 pm:

Dear gmlsmit

The forum rules are very clear (see the rule quoted by myself). Please provide the translation, or we will have to remove the post. We do not want to remove the post, but you will leave us no choice.

Saraf posted at 06:56, 14 June 2014:

Then please take the ruling up with SANParks, the rules come from them. To make it easier for you here's the email address:

Senior Manager: E-Business
[email protected]

And apart from anything else, have a little respect for non-South African users of this board.

MATTHYS posted at 06:59 pm:
gmlsmit wrote:
according to the Constitution of this Country we have many official languages.

We also have many forumites not living in this country and even most of us living in this country would not be able to read/understand posts in all our official languages, Gmlsmit.

:thumbs_up: Saraf.

Readers will note that the three Mods reacted within an hour, during thhe period 18:12 to 18:59 on 14 June 2014 well done. and my fair question after a week still remains unanswered, why?
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized *** and Lion trade.
Done 159 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.
4O4-5O4
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by 4O4-5O4 »

Gmlsmit, reading through this topic, on first glance, it does appear that the moderators might have it out for you, certainly out hunting in a pack...

I also do believe that Saraf owes you an apology, you were certainly not being intentionally disrespectful towards readers, and her tone of response was rather... um, ....surprisingly harsh.

BTW, does anybody require me to translate my comments at all? If so, please just shout.
MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS »

4O4-5O4 wrote:it does appear that the moderators might have it out for you

Moderators don't 'have it out' for any forum member and certainly not for Gmlsmit either, 4O4-5O4.
aquila non capit muscas
4O4-5O4
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by 4O4-5O4 »

My point is, the mods were hasty to point out a members transgression of the forum posting rules, and rather hasty to accuse the member of being disrespectful to other members. Yet when the member asks for clarity, or an explanation of the accusations being brought before him, the response is deafening?
gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gmlsmit »

You have caught my point.
Weltenman
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Weltenman »

gmlsmit wrote:You have caught my point.

Do you really want the mods to point out to the forums where you have transgressed/showed a lack of respect in the past? What good would that do? I am sure they would be happy to oblige your request if you keep asking it, but sometimes we should be careful what we ask for....
Study the past, if you would divine the future.
Confucius
Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stark »

Oh boy.
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb

KNP 2021 was a blast, so we're going back in 2022!
17 Oct. - Biyamiti
20 Oct. - Satara
23 Oct. - Olifants
26 Oct. - Lower Sabie
gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gmlsmit »

BUMP.
Still no reply or a PM - nothing!

:o
saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by saraf »

GMLSmit,

I do apologise for not responding early but I have been on 2 weeks leave and away from my keyboard.

It is a shame that you interpreted my post as negative and an accusation. It was not, it was merely a request to be courteous to and have regard of other forum members who do not have a grasp of Afrikaans by supplying a translation of what you post in future.

I also wish to make use of this opportunity to refer to the meaning of the word “respect” according to the English Thesaurus which also means to honour, to value, to consider when used as a verb and courtesy, consideration or politeness as a noun.

Your understanding is appreciated.
gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gmlsmit »

I have been requested to show respect by Saraf and now see quote here below:

It is a shame that you interpreted my post as negative and an accusation.

According to Wikipedia,

Shame is, variously, an affect, emotion, cognition, state, or condition. The roots of the word shame are thought to derive from an older word meaning "to cover"; as such, covering oneself, literally or figuratively, is a natural expression of shame.[1] Nineteenth century scientist Charles Darwin, in his book The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals, described shame affect as consisting of blushing, confusion of mind, downward cast eyes, slack posture, and lowered head, and he noted observations of shame affect in human populations worldwide.[2] He also noted the sense of warmth or heat (associated with the vasodilation of the face and skin) occurring in intense shame.

A "sense of shame" is the consciousness or awareness of shame as a state or condition. Such shame cognition may occur as a result of the experience of shame affect or, more generally, in any situation of embarrassment, dishonor, disgrace, inadequacy, humiliation, or chagrin.[3]

A condition or state of shame may also be assigned externally, by others, regardless of one's own experience or awareness. "To shame" generally means to actively assign or communicate a state of shame to another. Behaviors designed to "uncover" or "expose" others are sometimes used for this purpose, as are utterances like "Shame!" or "Shame on you!" Finally, to "have shame" means to maintain a sense of restraint against offending others (as with modesty, humility, and deference) while to "have no shame" is to behave without such restraint (as with excessive pride or hubris).
DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird »

Gmlsmit?

Please take note of the following which when you search internet you will find:

(oh,) what a shame
spoken
used for expressing sympathy or disappointment
link

Quote:

shame
it's a shame/what a shame etc

spoken used when you wish a situation was different, and you feel sad or disappointed:
[American English] 'She's failed her test again.' 'What a shame!'
[British English] It's a shame that you have to leave so soon.
[British English] What a shame we missed the wedding.
it is a shame to do something
[British English] It's a shame to cover this beautiful table with a tablecloth.
[American English] I can't imagine why they canceled your show, Tracy.That's such a shame.

link

look here too

Anyone reading this topic will see that it started when I asked, addressing you and ALL, to please respect the forum rules and provide a translation. The rest is here for all to read and draw their own conclusions. A simple and civil request.

If you have an issue with any of the moderators, you are welcome to write to SANParks, the contact details are listed on the forum rules. In fact, I invite you to do that.
- Dalene
gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gmlsmit »

Thanks DB.

I have more important things in life than to complain to SANParks about Moderators' choice of words.

Just maybe "it is a pity" would have sounded a bit better than using the word "shame".
Carol g
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Carol g »

Just my 2 cents worth

If you google Its a pity it says it is not commonly used at all, it's translated directly from the Dutch word ek is Jammer,in the above context, most people would use the term It's a shame
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all
Carol g
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Carol g »

Just another few cents worth, if a translation had been posted, it's a pity or it's a shame would not have been relevant in this debate
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all
barryels
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by barryels »

Due to the fact that there were no further discussions on this thread since 1 July 2014, it was decided to finalize the thread by closing it.

To clarify that rule 4 is indeed in line with the Constitution of South Africa and should be adhered to when posting on the forums, it was deemed necessary to share the following with the ‘mites:

1. It is a fact that SANParks forms part of the South African Government and should comply with the Constitution of South Africa.

2. It is also a fact that section 6(1) of the Constitution specifically refers to the official languages of South Africa which reads as follows: ” 6. Languages.-(1) The official languages of the Republic are Sepedi, Sesotho, Setswana, siswati, Tshivenda, Xitsonga, Afrikaans, English, isiNdebele, isiXhosa and isizulu.”

3. Section 6(3) (a) of the Constitution states the following: “The national government and provincial governments may use any particular official languages for the purposes of government, taking into account usage, practicality, expense, regional circumstances and the balance of the needs and preferences of the population as a whole or in the province concerned; but the national government and such provincial government must use at least two official languages”.

4. Mention should also be made of the fact that the Constitution and Bill of Rights are the blueprints of any country.

5. Here is a Link to South Africa’s Constitution and Bill of Rights for easy reference.

6. To adhere to the Constitution, the South African Government had to promulgate and published various Bills and policies in the South African Government Gazette.

7. In this instance, the South African National Languages Bill and the National Language Policy Framework was promulgated as a result of section 6 of the Constitution.

8. When reading through the National Language Policy Framework, section 2.4.6.7 states the following:
”International communication: Government communication at the international level will normally be in English or ad hoc in the preferred language of the country concerned”.

9. Section 3 of the SANParks language policy that derived from the above framework states the following:
“3. INTERACTION:
3.1 Written Communication
• All administrative and personnel/HR records will be prepared and held in English to ensure uniformity throughout the organization.”

Taking all of the above into account, as well as the fact that the SANParks forums were established with the intention to serve as a global/international communication medium and also forms part of their administrative records, English is the official language to be used.
Always be humble and never think you are better than anyone else...
For dust you are; and into dust you shall return