S41 Gudzani Road

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

S41

Unread post by DotDan »

I am specifically refering to the s41 between the s100 and the s90

Not much remarks or info about this road on the forum, so I thought I would try to get people's thoughts on it.
IMO it is a very nice road to take once you have completed the s100 and want to head back to camp. Have seen plenty general game on this road aswell as hyena and Bb jackals.
G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by G@mespotter »

Jip! Have seen angry elllies, hippo's, honeybadger, steenbuck, kudu's and lion on this road. :wink:
Walking is the best way to explore Kruger: 2x Olifants Backpack Trail (2009, 2016), 3x Mphongolo Backpack Trail (2011, 2013, 2015), 1x Mathikithi Wilderness Trail (2022).
adw
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by adw »

I agree the S41 is one of the best roads in the park. Over the years we have regularly seen Lion, Leopard, White ***, Buffalo, Black backed jackal, Hyeana, Elephant, not to mention countless Giraffe, Zebra, Wildebeest, Waterbuck, Kudu and of course Impala. Once at the Gudzane water-hole we even spotted a small herd of Sable.
Our most memorable sighting was the birth of an Impala lamb.
It is also a great road for photography as the bush is not that dense.
Fortunately we are staying at Satara the last week of August and the S41 will be well travelled by us again. :D :dance:
*** Poaching - Highlight's man's stupidity and greediness.
Roller

Unread post by Roller »

About 8 years ago we did a night drive that drove this road. At the low water bridge, we came across a giraffe that had probably slipped while trying to drink water and broken its neck.

A group of crocodiles was feeding on it in the water, hyenas were feeding on it on land (the body was 2thirds in the water). Truly something to see!

The following morning we found lions continuing the feast.
seapit1

Unread post by seapit1 »

Hi everyone,

When I was staying at Satara in June I went on the Gudzani road ( after travelling on the s100) and I saw a smallish pride of lions lazing on the side of the road. ( oh, I will post the pics as I do have a few :lol: )

Has anyone else had any sightings of lion or any other cat on this road????

It was very odd because normally the lions are always seen on the S100 BUT I guess I was lucky!!! :lol:

seapit
Lemony Snicket
Yat

Re: S41 Gudzani Road

Unread post by Yat »

I agree, a road that is not given the credit it is due. Just returned from Kruger and was fortunate to see a pride of 17 lions drinking water at one of the bridges.

I personally think especially in a particularly drier winters than normal, Gudzane waterhole is a lion magnet. My parents were lucky enough to witness a lion kill at the waterhole in October.
11 & 12 September 09 - Skukuza Luxury Bungalow
13-16 September 09 METSI !
okie
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by okie »

Right Yat and ADW :thumbs_up: Very good viewing between the S100 and S90 - and it seems those lions only go for buffalo :whistle:
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival
cheetah2111

Unread post by cheetah2111 »

This road is worth a topic bump :wink:
Trip Reports have been showing Lions and Cheetah on this road regularly 8) One of the better roads in the Park for cheetah sightings it would seem!!
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!
anabel1

Unread post by anabel1 »

Saw a pride of lions + - 20 at Gudzane water hole in August this year , then 1km further on 3 cheetah . Wonderful road.
okie

Unread post by okie »

This road is better that the S100 any time :clap:
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival
Gemma T

Unread post by Gemma T »

Love this road. The bridge where you cross the N'wanetsi just after turning right off the S100 is one of my fave views in the park. If I get chance I'll always pull up here for a bit and pray no-one else comes along.

On my very first time on this road, we had just turned off the S100 having left a MASSIVE roadblock for a couple of very distant spots in a tree (not a hope if seeing the whole leopard!) and had stopped to look at some baby crocs on the right. As we looked up river two leopards came to the water's edge to drink.

It was so beautiful and I always look hopefully, praying they'll pop out again!

:big_eyes: :popcorn:
When I'm not in the Park, I'm thinking of it...
Bittersweet Return to Paradise TR - Aug 2011