Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2015)

Re: Identification Help - General Birds

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:19 am

Steppe buzzard for #2.

The name of the "Forest" buzzard says it all. You'll hardly ever see it out in the open... and when you see it if the forests, its breast and belly shows a lot of white with blotches of brown, never horisontally barred.
727 Latest lifers: Hartlaub's babbler, Chirping cisticola, Coppery-tailed coucal, Red-billed spurfowl, White-browed coucal, Scharlow's turaco, Copper sunbird, Long-toed lapwing, Eastern bronze-naped pigeon, Malagasy pond heron, Soft-plumaged petrel.

salamanda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Identification Help - General Birds

Unread post by salamanda » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:48 am

OK thanks Johan.

Shazz111

Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by Shazz111 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:41 pm

Please help me with identifying these raptors (Western Cape). Excuse the photo that are'nt clear, the raptor was really far away.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=s2tv8y&s=8
http://i58.tinypic.com/20ieups.jpg

Thanks I really appreciate it.
Last edited by Shazz111 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shazz111

Re: Unknown Raptors

Unread post by Shazz111 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:43 pm

:redface: Unknown to me!

Ladybirder
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Unknown Raptors

Unread post by Ladybirder » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:11 pm

2.Dark form of the Steppe Buzzard, Yellow legs, dark eye and very dark brown.
Still have a look at the last one not sure

Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:16 am

2 as Ladybirder indicated: dark morph Steppe. The last one looks like a Steppe as well.
727 Latest lifers: Hartlaub's babbler, Chirping cisticola, Coppery-tailed coucal, Red-billed spurfowl, White-browed coucal, Scharlow's turaco, Copper sunbird, Long-toed lapwing, Eastern bronze-naped pigeon, Malagasy pond heron, Soft-plumaged petrel.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:21 pm

Wouldn't like to even hazard a guess Arks! :doh:

Can I please get some confirmation on the ID of this raptor seen in Kruger this Feb.
I had initially thought Dark chanting Goshawk, but no yellow eyes, so my other flyer is Steppe Buzzard?

ImageLarge

Thanks!

Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:39 pm

Go with your alternative, Elsa.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:09 pm

:thumbs_up: Johan. :D

Albert
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by Albert » Wed May 13, 2015 10:39 am

My lack of knowledge about the buzzards (and raptors in general) has been amply demonstrated, so far be it for me to comment or make suggestions here; what I can say JC, is that I was actually at Ebb & Flow in November 2014 as well (think it actually overlapped with your visit) and I saw several buzzards along the "Vlei" roads, from close to the turn-off at Langvlei, right to Rondevlei. What struck me were the amazing colour variations of (apparently all) Steppe Buzzards. While I already have the Forest Buzzard ticked, I am missing a good photograph, so every time I see a Buzzard near a tree in that area.... :redface: The following is an example that I now dug up:

and then one which got me quite excited for a bit...(overexposed, but still)

until I recalled that I saw the same bird at the same place in January of 2014, but that it was conspicuously absent when I visited in June and September...so I deduced it was probably also a Steppe (and I don't know if the tall coastal scrub qualifies as a forest habitat...)
Latest lifers: Black-bellied Starling, Plain-backed Pipit, Common Buttonquail, Cutthroat Finch, Freckled Nightjar, Purple Indigobird, Dark-capped Yellow Warbler, Red-capped Robin-chat, Yellow-rumped Tinkerbird.

Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Wed May 13, 2015 11:32 am

As you so rightly say, Albert, buzzards in general confuse us with the multitude of colour variations they exhibit so that one has to be very accurate in recording details about a bird... Good thing then that we have digital cameras! Even so, sometimes such a record can create a lekker debate!

Anyhow, I'll venture Steppe for the second (barred rather than blotched, light eyes and wing/tail proportions).

For some awesome Wildtuinman shots of forest buzzard...

DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DotDan » Wed May 13, 2015 11:44 am

I agree with Steppe on the second. Forest Buzzard is a much more compact looking raptor.

Albert
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Albert » Wed May 13, 2015 12:01 pm

Johan van Rensburg wrote:As you so rightly say, Albert, buzzards in general confuse us with the multitude of colour variations they exhibit so that one has to be very accurate in recording details about a bird... Good thing then that we have digital cameras! Even so, sometimes such a record can create a lekker debate!

Anyhow, I'll venture Steppe for the second (barred rather than blotched, light eyes and wing/tail proportions).

For some awesome Wildtuinman shots of forest buzzard...

Thanks Johan, regarding the WTM shots of the forest buzzard: It was thanks to WTMs write-up in "Birding the Brak" on his website that I found the forest buzzard in the first place...almost exactly where he said it would be!
Latest lifers: Black-bellied Starling, Plain-backed Pipit, Common Buttonquail, Cutthroat Finch, Freckled Nightjar, Purple Indigobird, Dark-capped Yellow Warbler, Red-capped Robin-chat, Yellow-rumped Tinkerbird.

Albert
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Albert » Wed May 13, 2015 12:20 pm

Ok, while I am at it, the following are 2 long shots..(literally) poor light etc etc.
Taken somewhere north of Shingwedzi but south of Pafuri (early April 2015). Wet and windy.

My attempts at ID have been limited to being positive that the legs are bare.....

Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Wed May 13, 2015 1:02 pm

Looks like Steppe as well... that area is wrong for forest

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”