Skip to Content

Sunbird: Amethyst (Black Sunbird)

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
salamanda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Identification Help - General Birds

Unread post by salamanda » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:03 pm

Definitely not an expert Pumbaa but what about juv amethyst?

Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2015)
Award: Birder of the Year (2014)

Re: Sunbird: Amethyst (Black Sunbird)

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:22 pm

Last year I noticed a male Amethyst sunbird active around a complete nest and watched for a week or so to see if any breeding activities were evident. Then, one stormy night the nest got blown off and that was that.

This morning I noticed some movement in the same White Stinkwood and lo-and-behold, the nest was back on exactly the same branch. At 4m high I will have to think a bit about getting good shots of this pair. I saw the male bird hanging around in the general vicinity, but HE wasn't building the nest... Only the female bird brought and added nesting material to the nest. I watched this onesided labouring a little amazed wondering why the male only looked on, not contributing to the nest-building. Some research was called for...

Hmmm... Apparently the male Amethyst sunbird is a real chauvinist! He keeps territorial vigil and may contribute a little to feeding the fledged chicks. Other than that he is ornamental!
685 2016 lifers: Spotted crake, Lesser jacana, Burchell's courser, Double-banded courser, Rufous-tailed scrub robin, House crow, Manx shearwater, Antarctic prion, Northern giant petrel, Northern royal albatross

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”