Mapungubwe: ADVICE

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele
Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: First time Mapungubwe visit

Unread post by Son godin » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:18 pm

Hi Pantoffelslippers,

We stayed at Vhembe camp about 2 years ago (the weekend the Ausies knocked SA out of the Rugby world cup :cry: ) and found the area extremely dry at that time of the year. The camp is unfenced, therefore animals will move pass quite close to the camp. We spotted elephant below the camp and had a lovely time watching them while we sat like dassies on the rocks.

I've two important tip for you about Vhembe. The power can suddenly go down and leave you in darkness. The camp runs on solar power, but if the battery runs flat (not sure why in our case) you need your own back-up lights. We had a power cut at 8 pm, followed by lions roaring as we were walking back to the cabins (but no confirmation that what I heard were lions :twisted: ) The cabins are not to for from the kitchen area, but always best to see where you going when walking back.

The other one is be aware of baboons. They will come into the lapa / kitchen area and raid your food.

You will definitely enjoy the camp even if its dry and love Mapungubwe.

I cannot give you much advice on the border post as I have not enter there yet, but added some info from the internet. Limpopo River Lodge is near the Platjan border post:

Directions via Pont Drift from Johannesburg to Tuli ..........

Driving from Johannesburg guests should follow the N1 to Polokwane then the R521 to Alldays. At Alldays take a right turn signed to Pont Drift. Cars can be left at the Pont Drift border post, and the short transfer to Tuli ......... is free of charge. If guests prefer to drive to the lodge, the lodge is approx. 5km away and signed from the Botswana border post at Pont Drift … please note that this is not possible when the Limpopo River is flowing, in which case guests can either leave their vehicle(s) at Pont Drift on the SA side and utilise the cable car to cross the Limpopo River and we’ll then transfer them to the lodge/camp; alternatively for those that wish to self-drive directly to the respective camps, please see the below directions via Platjan border (4x4’s required). When the Limpopo River is flowing the river must be crossed by cable car at Pont Drift (P35 per person per crossing - approx. 3 people and their luggage can be carried on the cable car) and vehicles left at the border post. Please note the Pont Drift border facilities open at 08:00 and close at 16:00 daily. There is a third party permit required for all foreign registered vehicles. The cost is approximately P130 per vehicle, payable at the border (vehicle registration papers required).

Directions via Platjan from Johannesburg to Tuli ..........

Please note that the Limpopo River crossing at Platjan is only a 3m wide causeway. If the Limpopo River is flowing too strongly, it cannot be crossed - the alternative then is to drive down to Martin’s Drift which is approximately three to four hour’s drive from Tuli Safari Lodge. The Platjan border facilities open at 06:00 and close at 18:00 daily. There is a third party permit required for all foreign registered vehicles. The cost is approximately P130 per vehicle, payable at the border (vehicle registration papers required). Follow the N1 north past Pretoria to Polokwane (Pietersburg). Turn left onto the R521 (sign post – Dendron). Follow the 210km route (north-west) Dendron-Vivo-Alldays. Drive through Alldays past the Bosveld garage. After 4kms there will be a sign post “Platjan” on the right hand side of the dirt road. Follow the sign to Platjan border post. From the turn off to the border is approximately 30kms. Cross the Platjan border post … at the T-junction turn right towards Tuli Wilderness / Talana farms. At the beginning of the tar road (on the left hand side), follow the tar road until you reach the sign Motlhabaneng, through the village of Motlhabaneng, pass the grave yard on your left, then you get to a fork in the road stay right. You will cross over into the North Eastern Tuli Game Reserve; carry on with the road until you get to a four way intersection. Turn left here, follow the road and you will go through a veterinary gate. Drive until you get to the Tuli ...... sign on a wooden board. Here you will turn right and follow the road that leads into the lodge.

Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Re: First time Mapungubwe visit

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:00 pm

PantoffelSlippers, I really do recommend that you try the Mapungubwe Hill tour. It is quite a climb, so it is not for anyone with health problems. It will be an experience not forgotten.

We took a drive out to Pont Drift, just for curiosity. It is really not far from Mapungubwe. It is well sign posted.

The hide close to Limpopo tented camp is a must. In the dry season it is the main sourse of water for many creatures and there is a constant stream of animals.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

huntsman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Mapungubwe: ADVICE

Unread post by huntsman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Is the tented trails camp mentioned in the first few pages still being used for accomodation?

This place sounds worth a visit... 8)
A bird in the hand...belongs in the bush!

Canon 7D / Canon 100-400mm 4.6-5.6 IS EF / Canon 28-85mm 2.8 EF

NetEk
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by NetEk » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:46 pm

Best person to ask is:
Mr Norman Mudau, the Hospital Services Manager at 084 700 4367
I live in my own little world. But it's okay they know me here.

Dave Moore

Unread post by Dave Moore » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:07 am

I haven't stayed at Vhembe for a while but it is a beautiful camp with positives and negatives.
Positives: Secluded, great views from the huts, nice drives near to the camp, tiny pool a necessity in summer :D
Negatives: Huge rocks behind the kitchen area turn the camp into a sauna in summer. Fridge is not effective in summer. Baboons cause problems so everything needs to be locked away if you go out. Solar power is unreliable. Take lighting with incase. Huts are very hot in summer.
The best time to visit Vhembe would be in winter I think.

Having pointed out the negatives, I would definitely go back here again. We saw a leopard try and take a baby wildebeest from this camp and that memory will stay with me forever :D

Dave Moore

Unread post by Dave Moore » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:23 am

Another bit of advice for those who didn't know. I heard that the filling station and shop at Dongola is now closed. If you need to buy anything such as ice, fuel or wood, you will have to go to Alldays. The coal mining company who own it have discovered that they had some serious flaws in the coal washing plant and have mothballed the mine for 18 months in order to fix the problem. As a result they have laid most of the workers off and the petrol station is now closed.

I remember that firewood was available at the Tented camp but not sure if this is still the case?

pixelpower

Unread post by pixelpower » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:52 pm

NetEk wrote:We were there over chrismas the road is still closed. But you can use the detour through Weipe.

Is there anything specifiek you wanted to know, ecept the road.

Can you give is some directions on that "Weipe" thing? Is it a farm? A town? We're not grom SA and Weipe does not show up on Google Earth...

Thanks a lot!

J.

NetEk
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by NetEk » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:59 pm

Weipe is a group of farms between the tar road and the river. If you take the road from Muzina as you normally would just before the bridge that was washed away they are large oil drum standing in the road (road closed) right at this road closure you will find a road turning right which becomes a dirt road. Just follow the road it makes a loop through the farms then back to the tar road after the broken bridge. You then turn right back onto the tar road and continue as per normal to Map.

Enter Weipe in Google Maps it will show you here's a map as well (sorry scanned from the book)

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:07 pm

That's great, Netek. :thumbs_up: Is the farm road as clearly marked if travelling in the opposite direction (towards Musina), as I may be later this year?
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town
21 September-21 November Darling

Johan K

Unread post by Johan K » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:34 pm

There is no other turn-off other than the Weipe turn-off. Just follow the Weipe dirt road. It will bring you back onto the tarred road after approximately 16km. You cannot go wrong. Also have a look on Google Earth. The dirt road and the farm are clearly visible. :)

NetEk
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by NetEk » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:36 am

Thanks JohanK yes there's only the one road and it clearly mark. When going in the oppisite direction same instruction just turn left not right . There's a oil drum in the road at the turn off from the other side as well. Once on the dirt road you will see you follow the main stream of the road the only turn off from the dirt (farm road) leads to houses.

awie

Unread post by awie » Sat May 03, 2014 2:32 pm

Can anyone who visited Mapungubwe during the past 4 weeks, please say indicate the condition of the access road when travelling from the Alldays side. Thanks in advance will really appreciate it.

NetEk
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by NetEk » Tue May 06, 2014 10:53 am

From Alldays the road is fine has pot holes so just don't drive to fast when you leave alldays and hear the call of the wild (my husband always says when he leaves Alldays he can allready smell the camp fire and tend to go to fast)

MartinP

Unread post by MartinP » Tue May 06, 2014 11:02 am

Thanks for the advice on the Alldays road. We are going to Punda Maria after Mapungubwe. Which is the best way to get there? We will be in an ordinary car, not a 4x4.

awie

Unread post by awie » Tue May 06, 2014 12:16 pm

Dankie, NetEk vir die inligting oor diepad vanaf Alldays.

Regarding the route from Mapungubwe to Punda Maria via Messina: According to my map there is a tarred road from Messina to Tshipise, numbered R508. From there I would take the R525 to the Pafuri entrance gate of the Kruger National Park. I have travelled that a long time ago and if the tarred road has deteriorated as many others have, I can imagine that, unless repair work was done, there could be many potholes. So one should drive carefully. Punda Maria is the most northern camp of the Park. I hope this helps.

Return to “Northern Parks”