Skip to Content

Favourite camp, choices.

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Do you prefer Letaba or Shingwedzi?

Unread postby onewithnature » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:28 am

A limited choice, and one that is easy to answer. When both available, I prefer both equally. Letaba has The view from the restaurant that is perhaps only exceeded in awe-gasping delight by Olifants'. Both camps have a lovely ambience, although the magnificent shade trees and birding opportunities leans a tick the way of Letaba. Shingwedzi has the marvellous Kannidood Dam, Red Rocks, and Mphongolo Loop roads, while Letaba has the Engelhardt Dam, Phalaborwa road, Olifants tar and riverine drives; both superb. Given a choice, I have no choice; whichever one I go to I am inspired. Sadly, Shingwedzi will be out of commission for a while; let's hope it will get back to its former glory.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Elsa

Re: Pretoriuskop and Tsendze first timer

Unread postby Elsa » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:52 pm

If you have a look Here there is a very good topic that gives great pics and info of all the camping sites.

Also have you had a read through Pretoriuskop Camp and Tsendze Rustic Camp

Sure you will find lots of great info and advice in there.

Good luck with finding the dogs. :thumbs_up:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 11th Feb - 8th March 2016

SAF

Re: Which camp is recommended in the late July - early Augus

Unread postby SAF » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:53 pm

For game viewing I think Lower Sabie, Satara and Skukuza
For peace and tranquility I would suggest Talamati, I really found inner peace when I was there
Olifants is also a really good option
If You Spend Your Life Fearing The Storm, You Will Never Enjoy The Sunshine

To see many of my KNP pictures and tales, visit my Facebook page at :
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Safraaz- ... 1744385395

wachinda

Re: Favourite camp, choices.

Unread postby wachinda » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:39 am

Have not been to all the camps yet ......most but not all. For camping the best camp for me is Balule , my SO loves tsendze.

Best view Olifants

What is your favorite camp and why
Berg-en-dal 18 October 2013
Satara 19-21 October 2013
Olifants 21-22 October
Balule 22-24 October2013
Tsendze 24-26 October2013
Punda Maria 26-28 October 2013

Terry73

Best KNP northern camps

Unread postby Terry73 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:28 pm

Hi fellow travellers
I am planning a trip to the Northern Kruger and need some advice on the best camps to visit north of Letaba. I would definitely like to stay at Punda Maria, but am toying between where else to go.
I don't like to jump too much, so would like to preferably keep it down to 3 camps, possibly staying 2 nights at each.
In the Mopani area, would Mopani or Shimuwini be better?
Any advice would be most welcome.
Terry.

chirinda

Re: Best KNP northern camps

Unread postby chirinda » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:37 pm

Welcome to the forums, Terry73.

Have you considered Shingwedzi? It is a lovely old camp and almost finished with the refurbishing after the flooding in January. There are very nice drives in the area. Bateleur is also a lovely camp, I haven't stayed there myself but have it on good authority. Mopani is also nice with lovely views of the dam and I have heard that the restaurant there is good.

Have a look at roaneric's trip report Roaneric's annual KNP visit as she takes you on a drive through several northern camps using a dashcam in the car. Cheetahlady also comments on some of the northern camps in her recent trip report Water, water everywhere ...

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby anne-marie » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:00 pm

welcome to the forum Terry73 :D

going to the North, what a good choice :clap:
I love it, no crowded... contrario of the South

I love Mopani for the view (if you ask for a bungalow with it)
Shimuwini is nice too, I love too
both well situated, near Mooiplaas and Tiongonyeni
and what about Bateleur, nice for birding and Sirheni
don't forget the S56 (between Shingwedzi and Babalala) for me one the most beautiful road in the park
from Punda Maria (I love the tents) don't forget to go to Pafuri... and say hello to Franck, please :wink:
:dance: :dance: :dance:
Last edited by anne-marie on Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

planing KTP janv/fev.2016

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:22 pm

Hi Terry and a very warm welcome to the forum! :clap:

Lots of great advice from fellow mites who love the north as I do! :thumbs_up:

Maybe have a read through some of the choices that have been suggested.

Mopani

Shingwedzi

Shimuweni

Bateleur

Sirheni

Just remember the bush camps do not have restaurants if that is what you require but are very quiet and remote.

Good luck but whatever choice you make it will be :thumbs_up:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 11th Feb - 8th March 2016

onewithnature

Re: Camp Choice??

Unread postby onewithnature » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:41 am

Talamati is a beautiful, peaceful bushveld camp, and the game viewing is often good around there. I do however have slight reservations about the lack of road variety there, and that parts of the road from Talamati to the Rabelais Hut is often very corrugated. Not sure what its state is at the moment.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

DinkyBird

Re: Camp Choice??

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:28 am

Talamati does have two bird hides and is in a productive game area ..... might be a nice experience, and will be peaceful. But in my mind, Talamati and Satara are very much in the same type of 'area'.

Is it possible to book us into the same unit in one camp, but separate units in the second camp? On the booking page I get the impression you have to do one or the other for a trip?!
I am sure you can. Never done it, but cannot see why not. Do you want me to ask the tech guys?

Magriet
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Planning: Which camps?

Unread postby Magriet » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:44 pm

So I needs my fellow Kruger mites to give some advise again please.....

If you had give or take 10 days in the park (camping with tent or caravan) which camps would you go to.

The following factors must be kept in mind pls:
1. We will have 2 kids with us (4 and 6)
2. We would prefer going from middle(not higher than Letaba/Olifants) to the South.
3. We would like 2 nights in a camp but not more than 3.

Thanks for help!!!!!!
Margaret, Pieter and Jana

Missing the freedom of nature!

Foxy
FAC Member (2014)

Re: Planning: Which camps?

Unread postby Foxy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:20 pm

Balule is a must.

Satara and the bonus of a swimming pool if you are there is summer with lots of roads to travel.

Crocodile Bridge, a lovely little camp.

shrew

Unread postby shrew » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:33 pm

Hi there Magriet

Done this trip quite a few times and have found the following to work well (especially with kids)

1) Letaba 3 nights (assume you get there late) Kids love Letaba the pool and elephant hall, film shows etc keeps them well occupied. Letaba also IMHO has the best camp site in Kruger.

2) 3 nights at Balule It still has a wild feeling to it and this apeals to the kids, if you need all the big camp facilities *(shop etc) then Olifants is right there. The game viewing south of here is great, a good day trip is down to Satara and spend the mid day there and drive back up to balule. ( a very special camp)

3) 3 nights at Berg n Dal A great camp with all the normal attractions for the kids(pool , film shows etc) it also has a great walk along the perimeter fence. the game viewing is lso gret around here

You need to spend more than 2 nights ina camp, as the packing up and pitching camp becomes a mission.

Enjoy the trip
Shrew

carolv
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby carolv » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:53 pm

Hi Magriet

I have given this some thought this evening and went back to the trip we did with our grandson - although he was a bit older than your children (he was 10 at the time) but still at an age when to spend an entire day in a vehicle was definitely not an option. So, my suggestions, for what they are worth:-

Letaba - a lovely atmosphere, the walk along the perimeter and out across the river bed (great for the kids to do a bit of their own spotting) the Elephant Hall and our grandson just loved the bushbucks who roam around the camp. Lots to see in the area and you can break up the day with stops at Oliphants or the big hide close to Phalaborwa Gate (having a senior moment and forget the name).

Balule - a lovely wild feeling camp and close enough to Oliphants and Satara for breaks to eat or look at river views or a pool. Then when you get back to camp at night, various animals come close to the perimeter fence and then a quiet place so the kids will sleep well.

For the final camp I am torn between Crocodile Bridge or even Skukuza. In the past we always avoided Skuks because it is so big but having stayed there on several occasions in recent years, once the camp gates have closed, it is actually really quiet. Sam loved walking along the fence to see what was about in the river bed and during the day, especially if it is very hot, a spell at Lake Panic would keep everyone entertained for as long as you want. If they need another walkabout, then the Nursery is somewhere for another break.

Wherever you decide to stay, may I wish you all a fantastic trip. It is now more than 3 years since we brought Sam and he is still talking about it!

PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread postby PNF » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:04 am

Hi Magriet

We spent many parts of holidays at Pretoriuskop when the kids were small and, a couple of years ago, introduced our one grandson to Kruger by staying there. The pool is a great drawcard and the resident Impala "herd" also entertained them immensely. Also close enough to Skukuza for a day/half day trip in that area.
Our suggestion is:
Pretoriuskop 3 nights
Letaba 4 nights
Satara 3 nights

.......but whatever you choose -Enjoy!
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”