Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Satara Camping

Unread postby kite » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:50 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:

roberte

Unread postby roberte » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:33 pm

The fence is chock-a-block. I believe a paraplegic site will be erected oposite the ablution. So maybe there will be some building activity there soon. The elephants gave us a road show 7meters from the fence at sunset tonight.

dellac
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby dellac » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:36 am

painter wrote:Satara campsite is my favourite and even if you are not at the fence it is still very special. There is plenty of space and most of the stands are level. One seldom experiences a sense of overcrowding.

This photo makes me very very :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . My one wish
is that I could take my caravan to Kruger :cry: :cry: ... A bit unlikely when it is here with us in
the UK :doh: :doh:

rufie

Unread postby rufie » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:27 pm

Hallo there!!

Wish I could get place from the 1st of May departing the 4th but no luck!!

NicoleCT

Re: Satara Rest Camp

Unread postby NicoleCT » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:03 am

Not sure where to post this. I have a question regarding Satara campsites with / without power CK6 or CK6P.

Can one book a CK6 but use extention lead to share with a CK6P ? (due to non availability of an actual CK6P campsite).

If I have booked a CK6P for 3 nights and then a CK6 for another 3 nights can I actually use the same CK6 campsite with an extension cable (or CK6P, either way) for the entire duration ? Obviously one does not want to pack up everything and move a few metres further.

As far as I am aware basically everything goes (mostly due to people not caring and doing their own thing regardless of rules?). I want to do the right thing but am not really sure how they work this allocation, as no one seems to check it and site numbers not allocated. At the moment we are booked CK6 and CK6P alternated on every single night due to non availabilities. Can we use the same CK6 or CK6P stand for the entire duration without having to move every single night ?

Any help appreciated.

Regards
Nicole

DinkyBird

Re: Satara Rest Camp

Unread postby DinkyBird » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:12 am

Nicole, we had a similar booking, and found when Satara is busy, there are no extra plug points to use, if you have not booked a site with power. You also cannot plug into the kitchen, which some do I know.

Rather go prepared to cope the days without power, and also keep an eye on availability, things might just change.

PantoffelSlippers

Camping in Satara

Unread postby PantoffelSlippers » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:16 am

Good day all you good people,

I'm one of KNP's biggest fans and a frequent visitor. Sadly, the last few years not as frequent as I would like.

Satara is my favorite camp. At the end of November, I will for the first time ever be camping in Satara...

Strangely, having visited so many times I've never seen the Satara camping area at all. I was hoping to get some advice...

I am hoping to secure a spot along the fence and also get some shade. I don't need electricity. How do I go about this? Any advice?

Many thanks
Hope to see Satara quite soon!

DinkyBird

Re: Camping in Satara

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:17 am

Hi PS - I am very very jealous of your upcoming trip! I LOVE Satara, and have camped there often.

From past experience :

It is first come, first serve with regard to choosing your site. If you book a site without electricity then you may not plug into the service.

The fence is very very popular - especially over weekends ... last trip we found people actually cramming up next to us thinking it would be ok to share our braai, and others even put up tents in the way of us being able to move our caravan off the site. So, be very mindful of this when setting up.

Coming into the camping area, the spot furthermost to the right on the fence is prime - but always taken.

Then the spots furthest to the left on the fence are also lovely and do not have electricity - so less popular, but are smaller sites.

Some sites have more shade than others, and you need to be mindful of the afternoon sun that will hit you if you face the fence.

I have had to sign a deal with my SO to give up the ideal of camping on the fence .... we will now look for the sites on the perimeter of the camping area - particularly the ones to your right just behind the guest house.

Also - Satara can be very windy, so make sure you secure your tent/awnings down well. I have seen tents in the trees, and even over the fence :whistle: The windy months might have passed when you go though.

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:30 am

Took these last year, before our 'spot' became super popular and filled up even more ;) Nothing like a Satara sunset at the fence :D

P1100056.JPG

P1100057.JPG

P1100048.JPG

P1100051.JPG

P1100053.JPG

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:32 am

PantoffelSlippers wrote:Hi DinkyBird,

Thank you so much.

The sites without electricity - are some of them also on the fence?

Regards
PS

Yes, those to the most left of the fence.

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:34 am

And one more tip - aim to get to the camp about 9ish ... most folk have packed up to either move to their next camp or leave the park. We always find that is when the camps are most empty, so you have the best selection of open sites. (one may booking to camp before 2pm)

PantoffelSlippers

Unread postby PantoffelSlippers » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:38 am

Hi DinkyBird,

Many thanks for the advice.

I usually book chalets around no 163, 164 - you know... there on the fence just past the shop area (eastern fence I think).

My camping booking for end of the month is done. I went with the no-power options hoping to get one of the lovely spots you mentioned on the fence. I made the assumption the prime spot will probably be taken.

Thanks again for the help.

Can't wait to see Satara again!

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”