Skip to Content

Lions Attacking Cars in the kgalagadi

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
africatravelchannel

Lions Attacking Cars in the kgalagadi

Unread postby africatravelchannel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:31 pm

On ou recent visit my car was chased and bitten at by these two young males. It was our first visit and I was wondering if this is normal behaviour by the lions in the park?
Last edited by africatravelchannel on Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Lions Attacking Cars in the kgalaghadi

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:19 pm

Short answer. Yes.

Depends where though. You don't state where this was.

Friends have seen it at Kwang, and I have witnessed it at Rooikop, both are waterholes near Nossob.

Both times juvenile males. Like these are.

Where was this video taken?
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

africatravelchannel

Re: Lions Attacking Cars in the kgalaghadi

Unread postby africatravelchannel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:31 pm

This was taken at Monroe Waterhole on the road between Twee Rivieren and Mata Mata

Scouter
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Lions Attacking Cars in the kgalagadi

Unread postby Scouter » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:03 am

We had the same experience 2 weeks ago at MONTROSE waterhole with 2 sub-adult males that look very much like your pair - I will go and check my daughter's photos and see if they are the same ones ... I see in your video clip a female looking on - there was a female with the 2 males when they got too personal with a group of 4 cars on that little loop at Montrose. They were trying to bite the tyres and when I drove off the one male came after me and launched himself through the air at the back of the car to try and get the sparewheel ....

And I must say .... KTP is looking SO GREEN :dance: ... we were there with the lions in the first real thunderstorm and heavy rains this year and its nice to see how quickly its got green ....

And Happy New Year everyone :gflower:
We can do no great things, only small things with great love. ~Mother Teresa

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

africatravelchannel

Unread postby africatravelchannel » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:06 am

Yip it sounds like the same lions, the female was inquisitive, but those two young males......

peterpiper
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby peterpiper » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:21 am

In all my visits to the park I have never experienced this nor spoken to others who have, so it seems very unusual and not normal, behaviour, but in the past 6 weeks I've spoken to at least 4 different people who had a similar experience with this group of lions.
Home is where you hang your @

Tony T

Unread postby Tony T » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:07 pm

My take, for what its worth, is they like things that run (drive) away from them and they are honing their hunting skills. Maybe its just bit of cub playfulness they haven't lost yet; or they are just mad at continually having to eat dust :evil:
KTP- 23/4/15 to 26/4/15 - Mata Mata
27/4/14 to 30/4/15 - Nossob
1/5/15 to 4/5/15 - Gharagab
[color=#008000]

Birthdays are good for you - the more you have, the longer you live!

africatravelchannel

Unread postby africatravelchannel » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:51 am

Hi Everyone! I have managed to locate the footage taken from inside the car.

[video]http://youtu.be/5bG6vAcgG2k[/video]

Kgalagadi Guru
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Kgalagadi Guru » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:59 am

Herewith the reply of the Twee Rivieren Section ranger.

"As Section Ranger I regularly encounter lions in the Park, and I have also experienced a lion attack on my vehicle. From what I can see in this video, the two males are still quite young lions and according to their reactions there was no aggression involved, but rather an urge to play with a moving object (the vehicle). This was the first report we received for this type of lion behaviour in the Twee Rivieren Section. The lions were running at half pace, unlike lions in attack mood, in which case they would zoom in on a vehicle and run towards it at full speed. Lions are known to attack animals running past them, although they are sometimes not even hungry, but they are not stupid and would have recognised the moving object in the video as a vehicle and not a prey animal. The lions also gave up their “chase” very soon, which further indicate to me they were not serious.

Because we as humans cannot read animals’ minds though, it will still be advisable to always be vigilant in the presence of predators by watching all their movements and reactions, and even to get out of the way of lions “playing” like the ones in this video, as that could prevent damage to a vehicle in the form of scratches or bite marks. Even a playing lion can cause damage to modern-day soft bodied vehicles."
Head: Field Guiding
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
jan.kriel@sanparks.org

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:14 am

Very interesting, and informative. Thanks for the video ATC, and the feedback KG and the Section Ranger.

Scouter
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Scouter » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:47 am

We found that if you gave the engine a quick rev and pulled away it gave them a bit of a fright and they stopped ... only to come back and try again .... we just kept a good eye on them and didnt let them get too close after that ....Definately just curious and playing, not at all agressive or in any way serious .... Listening to the video, it sounded like there were children in the car with you or am I imagining things :D
We can do no great things, only small things with great love. ~Mother Teresa

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

GlynB
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby GlynB » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:39 pm

I have another concern I would like to mention :x

We have been visiting KTP every year in October, since 2010, and we have noticed the following, which may be pertinent regarding the lions 'playfully romping after the vehicles'.

In our first visit we were on the Mata Mata raod when we saw a bakkie with the canopy back window opened up and about 4 children in the bakkie section. :big_eyes:

One of the children was hanging out and 'dragging' what seemed like crumpled up paper on a long string. :twisted:

We thought this was silly and would act as a 'lure' if any animal (especially a cat) was in the vicinity :wall:

The bakkie passed us again 'towing' the string. :naughty:

After a while, we turned around to return to our camp and a bit later we rounded a corner to see the bakkie stopped in the middle of the road, one of the children running back to the bakkie (obviously after retrieving the string that was accidentally dropped) and jumping in the back (I have a :cam: of this). The bakkie took off before we could get near to them. :naughty: :naughty:

I wonder if these lions have not enountered this type of situation before, maybe as cubs, and therefore trot after a vehicle looking for the 'lure' :hmz:
13-24 October 2015 - Kgalagadi
13/16 Oct - Kalahari Tented Camp
17/18 Oct - Kieliekrankie
19/21 Oct - Kalahari Tented Camp
22/24 Oct - Urikaruus

Bibronsgecko

Unread postby Bibronsgecko » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:26 am

No that is very very naughty :naughty: :naughty:

I do think lions may react to something that they learned or experienced as cubs...they probably think it’s a toy!!

I wonder if they don’t react to something (like a car) when it gets a nuisance ....while they were building the road at Rooiputs we were driving on the Botswana section of the road and watching 2 females and one male lion enjoying the morning sun...when one of the "building bakkies" drove past....the 1 female got up and chased it for 10m like she was trying to keep it away from them...
♥life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass-its about learning to danCe in the rain

Graham Dyer

Unread postby Graham Dyer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:45 am

I wouldn't say it was an attack, rather a combination of cat curiosity, young playfulness and a complete lack of respect or fear of the vehicle. Their behaviour towards a human on foot or on a bicycle shouldn't be as overt but I'm not volunteering to test.

A few years ago we had a young elephant who also had no fear and a lack of respect for landrovers and he started to touch and eventually push our vehicles if you didn't get away, he got so close to one of our trackers that his trunk was hanging down between the trackers' feet! The local researchers' bakkie started looking a bit worse for wear. Ways were discussed on how to teach the youngster to have a bit of respect again including connecting up the researchers' bakkie to an electric fence energizer but by the time I left nothing had been implemented, apparently though he slowly lost his interest in cars as he got older.

These young males will eventually lose grow out of this 'naughty' behaviour but will always have no fear of vehicles.

So... could one 'teach' them to have respect again without harming them?
Last edited by Graham Dyer on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
TrailsGuide20yrs, Parks visited: KNP(250+visits),MasaaiMara,Amboseli,Samburu,Chobe,Moremi,Savuti,S.Luangwa,Hwange,ManaPools,SkelCoast,Etosha, Mabua,CntrlKalahari,KTP,Khutsi,Hluhluwe/iMf,Mkuzi,Ndumu,Ithala,SabiSands,Addo,Madikwe,Pilanesbrg,Gonarezhou

JTS86

Unread postby JTS86 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:18 pm

Hi Everyone

This is my first time posting on these forums :D

Last August my fiance and I also had a run in with 3 lions, I think it was an older female and two youngsters.

(it was my first ever visit to a national park) :lol: :D

The older one was just chilling by the side of the road and the other two where infront of the car lying down and then the both got up walked towards to the car and before we even realized what was happening one of them proceeded to pull the mud guard thing off the drivers side by the front tyre.

Im not sure if mud guard is the right word, coz its not a functional mud guard more of those "for asthetic" types

Anyway, after it was pulled off, the 3 of them proceeded to play tug of war with it and roll around with their new toy.

I have a picture, yet Im not super tech savy so will see if I can figure out how to add it :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93237632@N ... hotostream

Return to “Arid Parks”