Skip to Content

Canon Bodies

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Canon 40D or 50D

Unread post by DuQues » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:19 am

With error 99 you should not only remove the battery, but the lens as well. Many people forget that last bit.

Cleaning the contacts on lens and camera often helps against the error recurring.

And after that action, cleaning the sensor may be needed....
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Caracal
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator - Honeybadger Award (2016)

Re: Canon 40D or 50D

Unread post by Caracal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:50 am

With error 99 you should not only remove the battery, but the lens as well. Many people forget that last bit.

I think I have heard you say that before Duques :D ...so yes I removed lens as well.
The lens in question being my Sigma 150-500mm. There is a bit of play on this lens when attached to my 40D and I thought maybe the lens was losing contact with the camera....
But it was the changing over of the batteries that sorted it out. BTW..it was a new battery...obviously the 40D did not like it. :D

Gaz Tau

Ideas for new Canon Dslr camera.

Unread post by Gaz Tau » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:11 am

Hi guys

i am looking for some advice, i am a game ranger in thornybush in the greater kruger park and at the moment have a Canon 1000d and 70-300mm lens.

I am starting to get the itch to go a bit bigger and better, can anyone give me some advice on what i should be looking at? with both the body and lenses, i just want to get a idea so i can start putting some money aside.

your help will be great!!

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Ideas for new Canon Dslr camera.

Unread post by DuQues » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:19 am

Good morning and welcome to the forums!

That itch is going to become worse, and costs a ton of money. :lol:

The 70-300 will probably be your friend a little longer. The lens you may want to switch it for is the 100-400 as it has a slightly longer reach, and better quality. (There is a new 70-300, but that is very costly!)

You may want to see if you can get a secondhand EOS 40D. Purely for the higher speed it has in focusing and the higher framerate. That will be a step forward at low cost.

In the future you may want to get yourself a 7D. It costs around R12.000 and is a really good camera for wildlife. Super quality, high framerate and very quick focusing.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Massimo

Re: Ideas for new Canon Dslr camera.

Unread post by Massimo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:25 pm

Hi Gaz Tau,

Would love to have your job working in the bush instead of working at a screen...

Ok so you want to take the plunge into photography and i see you started by going the correct root by choosing canon :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

The canon 1000D is very entry level Canon body and not many people buy them unless they really have too. So my advice on this body is to rather save up some money and buy a better body. Depending on how much you want to spend is another question. If you have a small budget then try go for 450D upwards also try get a (50D) second though as they do not make these bodies anymore (60D) took its place. I started off with the 450D and still love the camera i use it as my second body.

Now... :hmz: for the lens. My advice is spend more on glass then the body. The lens plays a major part in photography. I would rather spend a little less and get a 450D instead of lets say a 550D and spend the extra cash on the lens. The 70-300 is (if im not mistaken) given as a bundle pack?? If you buying the two as a bundle then i would rather leave it. I would rather for a better lens. I suppose it will be a good start up lens and then grow from there but if you have the money i would rather spend it on better glass e.g.

canon / Sigma 70-200 F4 non IS (Half the price of IS)
Simga 150-500 APO DG

and then when you have the money and feel confident go for a canon prime.
if you use the zoom lens and find all your pictures are taken at full length (i had the 150-500 sigma and i shoot wildlife and birds and found that most of them were shot at 500. I then sold the 150-500 and bought the prime.) then go prime instead of zoom. Prime (fixed length) has better IQ (image quality) over the zoom so i would recommend the 400 F5.6 over the 100-400L from canon. or if you can afford it the 300 F2.8 x 2converter. or the 500mm prime F4

Hope this helps but if you give us a price limit we can help you a lot better...
Canon 5D MK III :) :), Canon 7D , Canon 450D | Canon 400 F5.6 L | Canon 70-200 F2.8 L IS|Sigma 10-200 EX DG OS F4-5.6 & goodies :)
Runner up wildlife photographer of the year 2012-sunday times & winner-Canon S.A. reflection category

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Okay guys, start saving....

Unread post by DuQues » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:17 am

http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home/Pr ... R/EOS_1Dx/

The EOS-1D X combines speed with image quality, to create the next generation camera for professionals. Full frame 18 megapixel sensor with Dual “DIGIC 5+” processors sets the standard, and up to 12 frames per second shooting takes it beyond.
Features

18.1 MP full frame CMOS sensor
Up to 12fps plus 14fps High speed mode
100-51200 ISO, up to H:204800
61 point AF system
100,000 pixel RGB AE metering
Full HD 1080p EOS movie
Dual “DIGIC 5+” processors
Clear View II 8.11 cm (3.2”) 1,040k LCD
Ethernet port

Performance redefined

18.1 MP full frame CMOS sensor
A Canon 18.1 MP full frame CMOS sensor delivers stunning performance, producing exceptional low noise, high-resolution images even in the darkest conditions. The full frame sensor delivers optimum results from wide-angle lenses and gives you greater control over depth of field. Image resolution exceeds the quality demanded by leading photo agencies - making it ideal for extra large prints up to A2 size, even after cropping.

Super high speed shooting
Capture every second of the action with up to 12fps continuous shooting, increasing to an incredible 14fps in Super High speed shooting with continuous bursts of up to 120 large JPEG images (36 RAW).

Huge ISO range
An exceptionally wide ISO range of 100 to 51200 – expandable up to an incredible ISO 204800 – means shooting need never stop from the brightest conditions right through to near darkness.

61 point AF system
A high-precision 61 point AF system, featuring 41 high sensitivity cross type sensors, delivers fast, accurate focussing of fast moving subjects – whatever the lighting conditions. The centre 5 AF points are dual cross type for added precision.

Consistent, accurate metering
A 100,000 pixel RGB AE metering system with a dedicated DIGIC 4 processor measures not only brightness but also colour to ensure highly accurate exposure for natural results even in complex lighting situations.

Full HD EOS movies
Shoot Full HD (1080p) video with a wide range of user selectable controls on a DSLR including exposure, frame rates, audio and compression control. An HDMI output allows High Definition playback of footage and images.

Dual “DIGIC 5+” processors
Canon’s latest generation Dual “DIGIC 5+” processors deliver the fastest and most advanced image processing to date for best-in-class image quality. Working with 4 A/D converters to provide 14-bit image processing for smooth tonal gradations and natural looking colours as well as advanced Noise Reduction at higher ISO speeds.

Large, anti-reflective LCD
A high-resolution 1,040k-dot 3.2” Clear View II LCD screen, allows easy, accurate review of images and video. Superbly durable, an anti-reflective, hardened glass structure prevents reflections even in the brightest sunlight.

Ethernet port
A built in Ethernet port allows for fast, easy transfer of images directly to a PC or via a network to clients from live events.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Okay guys, start saving....

Unread post by DuQues » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:13 pm

mikef

Re: Okay guys, start saving....

Unread post by mikef » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:41 am

Ramon wrote:Agree Mike we should wait for the inevitable comparison tests and to see if all the Wildlife pros want to go back to Canon. One thing for sure is that the 1DX will have far better noise performance than my brother's 7D which effectively is not much good in that dept from ISO 800 on up...if I was a Canon Wildlife tog and wanted FF I wouldnt hesitate and get the 5D MKII x 2 and possibly have change for a few nights in Kruger :D

Duques above would have loved the 5d MkII on his recent Golden Gate trip for landscapes with his 17-40 lens. Sounds like he hasa crop factor camera of some persuasion?? :wink:

In its price-class the 7D is a fantastic crop sensor camera (compared to say the D7000) - it is however not intended to compete with the Nikon D3S top of the range full frame camera. The 5D MkII is full frame but also in a different price-class and not the best for action photos. Canon's 1DX is their latest top of the range professional camera in the same price-class as the D3S. On paper at least imho the specs are very exciting. If i was in the market for a camera in this price-class I would most definitely wait until the formal release and comparison tests before before making a choice.

timbo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Canon 6D : Wildlife

Unread post by timbo » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:35 pm

I wonder what people think of the 6D for wildlife ethusiasts?

According to the guys at the canon show today, the 6D will be coming in around the R21k mark (orms has it at R19.5k) which is more affordable then both the 5D mark II and III and more then the 7D.

Seeing as it is a full frame sensor therefore offering the full frame advantages and slightly more pixels then the 1.6 crop 7D sensor.

Perhaps the frames per second are an issue seeing as the 6D is 4.5 frames per second with compared to the 8 frames per second of the 7d and 6 frames per second of the 5D mark III.

6D does come with built-in GPS (as far as i understand) and therefore, although a gimmick, perhaps would be nice to see exactly where you took images.

I wonder what people think, will the 6D be a competitor in the wildlife photography market?

Or is the 7D still the daddy in the market in terms of semi pro to pro DSLR for wildlife photography seeing as you have the added advantage of the crop factor.

Dpreview specs lists
Canon 6D
Canon 5D mark III
Canon 7D
I try my best and that's what matters I hope.

brogan

Re: Canon 6D : Wildlife

Unread post by brogan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:03 pm

Hey guys,

As someone who goes to Kruger a lot for birding and wildlife photography, I would personally not go for the 6d, 5d, 1dx. Reason being it is full frame. I have just bought a 7d for this exact reason. With full frame you will need to purchase longer lenses in order to get the same zoom you would get on a crop censor. ie a 300mm on a 1.6 CMOS censor is a 480mm. you will need to buy a 500mm lens to get the same magnification, at 4 X the price. The 7d also shoots a lot faster than the 5d III and 6d.

Yes full frame is better than CMOS sensor for wide angle shots, and for low light, but you lose the "zoom" factor you get with a crop sensor which is what you need 90% of the time when shooting wildlife/birds.

The 6D construction is also a bit of a let-down, it feels to plastic and cheap, I think Canon have made a mistake with the 6D as there is not a proper need for the entry level FF. it also has less buttons which does not help for when you need to change a setting quickly for a specific shot. I once heard, the better the camera body, the more buttons it will have.

The 6d is much like the 60d, either stick with the 50D or get a 7D. Stick with the 7D or go for the 5D MK II or III.

My thoughts from Canon’s perspective are: the more camera bodies you have, the money customers you will have as everyone’s needs are different. I don’t believe in the concept, rather make better versions or current bodies, then new bodies for a market that was not there because on the divide between 7D and 5D. If you can’t afford the 5D III buy the II.

timbo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Canon 6D : Wildlife

Unread post by timbo » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:21 pm

brogan wrote:Hey guys,

As someone who goes to Kruger a lot for birding and wildlife photography, I would personally not go for the 6d, 5d, 1dx. Reason being it is full frame. I have just bought a 7d for this exact reason. With full frame you will need to purchase longer lenses in order to get the same zoom you would get on a crop censor. ie a 300mm on a 1.6 CMOS censor is a 480mm. you will need to buy a 500mm lens to get the same magnification, at 4 X the price. The 7d also shoots a lot faster than the 5d III and 6d.

Yes full frame is better than CMOS sensor for wide angle shots, and for low light, but you lose the "zoom" factor you get with a crop sensor which is what you need 90% of the time when shooting wildlife/birds.

The 6D construction is also a bit of a let-down, it feels to plastic and cheap, I think Canon have made a mistake with the 6D as there is not a proper need for the entry level FF. it also has less buttons which does not help for when you need to change a setting quickly for a specific shot. I once heard, the better the camera body, the more buttons it will have.

The 6d is much like the 60d, either stick with the 50D or get a 7D. Stick with the 7D or go for the 5D MK II or III.

My thoughts from Canon’s perspective are: the more camera bodies you have, the money customers you will have as everyone’s needs are different. I don’t believe in the concept, rather make better versions or current bodies, then new bodies for a market that was not there because on the divide between 7D and 5D. If you can’t afford the 5D III buy the II.

I tend to agree with you. If you simply need a camera to take images of wildlife, then the 7D is the body you use because of the frame rate and the crop factor.

But I feel that, that 7D body needs an upgrade, a mark 2 version needs to be realesed. There are of course the rumors of the 7D mark 2 being announced in feb but you can never trust the rumors.

Found Here

Which is an improvement on the current 7D model. I have also heard a rumor of the 61 point AF system currently in the 5D mark III being placed in the 7D II, which I somehow doubt will be true.
I try my best and that's what matters I hope.

Riaanf31

Upgrade time Bye Bye Canon 450D

Unread post by Riaanf31 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:53 am

So the time has come to contemplate shelving my trusted Canon 450D. It has served me well since purchased in 2008. Boy have we had some magical moments in the KNP. Just look on the TR's written by SurfCindy and you'll see some of the pictures.

Now the question is this: Which of the Canon camera bodies do I 'upgrade' to? I'm loath to go for the 60D and more tempted by the 7D. The 5D is a tad pricey. My 100-400mm lens would love appreciate either. The 7D body I can source for circa £750 or R12k near me. So my wallet and head is nudging in that direction.

Is there any advice going on which to get?
To see a sunrise in KNP is to see magic.

saraf

Re: Upgrade time Bye Bye Canon 450D

Unread post by saraf » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:12 pm

I've heard nothing but good things about the 7D and if I was upgrading that's the one I would go for.

Have you checked out DPReview? They do in depth reviews and their Canon DSLR forum used to be fairly active so may be worth checking out.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

MxM
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by MxM » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:57 pm

Are you planning on using the camera mostly for animals, or also for sunset or mostly birds?

I would not go for the 7D. Were price a consideration I would indeed go 60D, very nice body. But I would far rather have the 70D if lots of birds. If there are mainly larger game and some landscape, I would consider the 6D. The 100-400 will work well on both.

If you are really serious, perhaps consider a second hand 1D4?

John
Moments by Mullineux Photography
Photographer, nature lover, birder

Follow my solo KTP photographic and birding TRAVEL TALE

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

EOS_User

Unread post by EOS_User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:54 pm

Although it's the oldest body in the current Canon line-up, it's still a very good piece of kit, with a superb frame-rate, (bettered only by the 1DX !) so, if you can source a 7D for £750 then I would say it was a no brainer!

My 100-400 will be permanently attached to my 7D when we're in Kruger in 2 weeks time! ( I also have a 5DII which I'll be taking with for use with shorter lens for wider & landscape images...)

You mention a 5D series as an option. One big thing to bear in mind is that all the 5D's are full-frame, so you will lose the benefit of the extra (effective) reach of your lenses, and they have a much slower frame-rate than the 7D...

A small factor, but could be costly; the 60D & 70D take SD cards, whereas the 7D will take your existing CF cards from the 450D...

Good luck with whatever you opt for...

Cheers;

Lee

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”