Skip to Content

Sasol eBirds App

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Sasol eBirds App

Unread post by kite » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:23 pm

The Sasol guide is cost effective and can be loaded on a Blackberry or other mobile device like iPhone or iPad .
The Roberts is more detailed and expensive and is also available for iPhone or iPad.
Ultimately if you start with the Sasol you'll love it so much you'll also want the Roberts in due course!
Enjoy :D

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:53 pm

Rumours say that the Roberts app should be available in the next few days.

It was briefly released over the weekend before the discovery of a nasty bug forced the developers to pull it of Google Play.
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

wingman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wingman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:37 pm

The Roberts version on the Ipad way out performs the other mediums and the Sasol apps, its even better than the PC version from a field use perspective. I would wait for it.

adrianp
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by adrianp » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:50 pm

I find these Apps very frustrating in the long term. :wall: :wall: :wall: I have the original Roberts for a PDA. Now that the PDA batteries don't hold their charge, and all sorts of other crap and costs associated with the upkeep of "another electronic device" plus I cannot transfer this thing to a new mobile device because it is not compatible. I may as well throw it away. The same will be true for the sasol birds my wife got for her i-Pad in a few years it will be redundant. So the cost adds up on these things that you have to get a new disk/app every few years which becomes expensive. In comparison, I still have and use my first edition of Newmans (the book) without any problems! :whistle:

To be honest, these days the only thing I use are the calls. I have a camera to take images, a book and internet to look them up. An app with the calls would be the most useful, compact cheap and easy to transfer from one device to another.

I guess if you have loads of cash, and enjoy the techno stuff, then the Roberts is still better than the much improved version of Sasol.

My rant and 5c worth.

Bennievis
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bennievis » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:22 pm

I have the Sasol book on my iPhone. What I found very helpful was that you could also search the index by the Afrikaans names. I downloaded the upgrade a couple of days ago only to discover the Afrikaans name option has been removed - problem for me as I know most birds only by their Afrikaans names. So if you are in the same boat, do not install the upgrade :|

piet-my-vrou

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:54 am

I started to download the app. I thought that it would be useful for times when I just have no book available. I am having a problem completing the download and don't know where I might have gone wrong.

As a novice birder, I thought that it would be a perfect tool.

Just a question. Are the costs just added to the cell phone account? If that is the case, I might well have paid without any benefit to date.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:04 pm

Bennievis - it is still possible to use Afrikaans names (I do too). Also thought it was gone - but after a bit of research - found it again. Sent you a PM! :thumbs_up:
:dance: First South to North KNP trip booked! :dance:
10-11 June 2017 - Lower Sabie
12-14 June 2017 - Talamati
15-17 June 2017 - Olifants
18-20 June 2017 - Mopani
21-22 June 2017 - Punda Maria
22-23 June 2017 - Pafuri Border Camp

w1tw0lf

Unread post by w1tw0lf » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:15 pm

I see the roberts bird app is back in the play store at double the price of the sasol one. Was holding out for this one, but at double the price @ R 586.03 it is stuff.

Direct link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .sabirding

Bennievis
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bennievis » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:43 am

Bushbuddies wrote:Bennievis - it is still possible to use Afrikaans names (I do too). Also thought it was gone - but after a bit of research - found it again. Sent you a PM! :thumbs_up:

:thumbs_up: Many thanks Bushbuddies, it worked!.
:D

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:31 pm

Just had a look on itunes.
The Roberts ibook is £48.(R680). That's very steep!

pamelajane

Unread post by pamelajane » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:45 am

I see the Roberts ap for Ipad is R579.99 on Itunes SA. I have the Sasol ap but am not happy with My Lists and wondering if anyone can tell me if the Roberts is any better? :hmz:

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:26 am

The previous version (windows mobile) of Roberts was absolutely brilliant with lists. And if the new version is anything to go by, it will be the best out there.
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:21 pm

huntsman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by huntsman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:57 pm

Sasol is great in many ways, but there is one monumental flaw: My Lists. It sucks.

I spent 30 hours transferring (without any predictive text!) hundreds of entries, constantly having to retype all of the place names etc, each time. There are several other fairly minor glitches, but a huge oversight on the part of the developers, was the ability to import lists.

Sure, you can export your lists, just right click on 'more' on the home page....just don't try to import them back in!

The computer I was using for iTunes died suddenly and I installed iTunes on the new one. At first Sasol refused to sync and was in my library, but not on my tablet. Then an iPad update was offered which allowed my tablet to finally sync. Sasol re-appeared, but sans My Lists! No problem, you'd think - the nice chaps at Sasol would have thought of this, but no....they didn't.

I have indeed got My Lists exported via email, safely on a remote computer, but no way to get it back onto my tablet.

If Roberts were to offer the app for both iPhone AND iPad, instead of forcing you to choose or pay twice, I'd be in like Flynn...
A bird in the hand...belongs in the bush!

Canon 7D / Canon 100-400mm 4.6-5.6 IS EF / Canon 28-85mm 2.8 EF

Gajus

Unread post by Gajus » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:19 pm

I bought the Sasol App for my ipad but it seems that a good number of birds, in particular those in the NW of South Africa, are missing, is that correct? Are the printed version and/or the electronic Roberts more extensive?

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”