http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... eview.aspx
http://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/l ... dg-os-lens

Seems they are basicly identical
Sigma is better built imo.
And then you have the price difference

mikef

Re: Please assist me decide on a lens

Unread post by mikef » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:46 pm

Working on the assumption that the R5k is the upper limit of your budget and based mostly on a lot of reading and research (although I have shot with quite a few of the lenses in the range) I would recommend the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM over the Sigma any day.

The problem with a lens with a rotating front element is that you need to keep adjusting the polariser filter when the zoom or focus changes. (The Canon also has this problem)

Two alternatives to consider which are also highly thought of by most reviewers are Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS (a much cheaper lens and often included in multiple lens kits with good IQ but not the best build quality) and the Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD (this lens is cheaper than the Canon you are considering and most reviewers consider it better quality.)

Good luck with your choices – the 60D with your kit lens is a great camera.
Last edited by mikef on Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scottm

Updated Nikon Wildlife lens announced

Unread post by Scottm » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:51 am

Nikon announced the replacement for the popular 80 - 400 lens with an updated version, now listed as the AF-S NIKKOR 80-400MM F/4.5-5.6G ED VR LENS

While this may prove to be a great lens and an opportunity improve one's glass, I believe that the price is likely to chase many enthusiasts away. Just shy of $2,700.00, it is a huge jump on the previous model used my many amateur wildlife photographers.

Have a look at these links for more insight:
http://photographylife.com/nikon-80-400mm-f4-5-5-6g-vs-80-400mm-f4-5-5-6d
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/03/05/Nikon-launches-AF-S-Nikkor-80-400mm-4p5-5p6G-ED-VR-telezoom
"Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints"

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

Scottm

Re: Updated Nikon Wildlife lens announced

Unread post by Scottm » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:07 pm

Hi Timbo

I have no doubt that this lens will have to be a HUGE IMPROVEMENT of the lens it replaces. There are, at least for me, a number of concerns and it also brings a number of dilemmas.

Firstly, the MTF graphs indicate that this lens will be superior in terms of sharpness across the range - that is good; Secondly, the VR has been improved, so hand-held will probably be much better; it will still work (how well, nobody yet knows) with a 1.4x extender on the newer Nikon bodies, giving a reach of up to 560mm on FX and equilavent of 840mm on DX bodies;

The downside for me will be the price and I believe that your estimate of R25k - R27k is a bit optimistic if bought here in SA ..... I think you can expect R30k+

But here is the dilema .... What, if any, would be the improvement of this lens over a 70-200mm f2.8 with the associated 1.4x, 1.7x and 2.0x converters attached. Changing converters may be inconvenient, but you do gain the benefit of having a similar reach with a lens that has a fixed, and not variable aperture ...... and that is a huge benefit when dealing with the isolation of a subject in portraiture, AND you can save a chunk of change in the process.....

Personally, for an outlay of R30,000 for a lens, there are a number of other options that provide for a better solution, at least on paper for the moment..... :hmz:

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

SurfCindy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel Tale of the Year - KNP (2014)

To buy or not to buy????

Unread post by SurfCindy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:54 pm

I am looking at spoiling myself with a new lens but having a bit of a difficult choice so thought I would call in the help of my fellow mites and get some expert opinions of wildlife enthusiasts.

So the choice I have to make is:

Sigma 150-500mm vs canon EF 100 -400mm

Does anyone have any experience with both lenses? and what is your advice.

Looking forward to the suggestions and recommendations. Thanks.

JDW

Re: To buy or not to buy????

Unread post by JDW » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:25 pm

Cindy
Both a good lenses.
Sigma have come on in leaps and bounds over the past few years and a very good value for money.
The Canon lens is exceptional quality but pretty expensive.
You don't say where you are based.
My advice is to try both lenses before deciding.
Spending this amount of money I would consider hiring each lens over a weekend using the same camera settings and then compare the results.
Just the rambling thoughts of a pensioner
Good luck
JDW
2015 - Jun/Jul - Scotland
2015 - Sep - North Wales
2016 - South Africa/USA/Canada?

Scottm

Unread post by Scottm » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:16 pm

Before you buy either lens, I would suggest that you also have a look at the Tamaron 150-600 that is getting rave reviews over the internet. Also, Sigma have recently announced two different and new 150-600 lenses for different applications. Ultimately, you have to do your research and do not forget to test the lens you intend to purchase.

Finally, you may be able to save some $$$$ by purchasing over the internet, but by supporting the local high-street retailers in your area, you should also get the support you may need, should anything ever go pear-shaped.

Kaapsedraai
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by Kaapsedraai » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:24 pm

SurfCindy, firstly choice between the Sigma 150-500mm vs canon EF 100 -400mm...definately the canon. I got both lenses I am using and SO now uses the Sigma 500, but the Canon 400 L is a bit more expensive than the Sigma.

Scottm has put the cat amongst the pigeons with the Tamron 600...which I have also heard great things about - now that is a difficult choice :hmz: - Canon 400 or Tamron 600...not sure about finances. Let see what the other Forumites have experienced or suggest.

May I ask, what camera body will you be using with it?
Current: Table Mountain's mood today
Finalised: Dec'15 Mokala ; Kruger; Golden Gate; Karoo; Sep'15 Bontebok; Jul'15 Agulhas; Aug'15 West Coast; Dec'14 Kruger
Future: 25 Jun - 12 Jul'16 MZNP; ADDO; Storms river & Wildernis NP

Scottm

Unread post by Scottm » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:46 pm

Take a look at the review listed below. While I do not (yet) own this lens, I am seriously considering this to supplement my existing lenses, and given the fact that some of these tests were undertaken on a 36MP camera with superb results, I believe that this lens will be a game-changer for many wildlife enthusiasts. Just as good as other lenses in its price range, it certainly beats both the Nikon and Canon above 400mm and the Sigma beyond 500mm. My biggest issue is that the price , while reasonable for the moment, is likely to rise as the Rand falls against the Dollar.....

http://photographylife.com/reviews/tamr ... 0mm-f5-6-3

HawkI

Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM becomes a reality

Unread post by HawkI » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:03 pm

Vonmat

Nikon 80-400 vs Sigma 150-500

Unread post by Vonmat » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:33 am

Hi all,

Can someone kindly give their views on the below 2 lenses for wildlife and possibly comparison photos?

Is the price difference worth going for the nikon or is the sigma also a great lens?

https://www.ormsdirect.co.za/nikon-af-s ... ed-vr-lens

https://www.ormsdirect.co.za/sigma-150- ... lens-nikon

The lens will be mounted on a Nikon D7100.

Karin Mitton
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Nikon 80-400 vs Sigma 150-500

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:02 am

I have the sigma. Other than the fact that it is rather heavy, it works well for me. I have a Canon 650D camera body.
all the photos in my recent trip reports were taken with this lens.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=86677
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=85423

I do sometimes wish it had more zoom, but then I also wish that I had more cash to buy the bigger zoom! :lol:

Bouchier

Re: Nikon 80-400 vs Sigma 150-500

Unread post by Bouchier » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:01 am

I have both lenses in question and there is no comparison. The Nikon 80-400 is superior by far. I don't ever use the 150 -500 anymore. The 80-400 is much lighter shorter and the 80mm helps for when the animal moves closer to you. Very happy with the lens. For a more economical lens I hear the 150 - 600 Tamron is amazing value for money. Know several togs with those and no complaints so far. Link To compare Sigma vs Tamron. https://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspire ... 00mm-1.jpg

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”