Skip to Content

SANParks Elephants

Sneeugans

Re: Elephants - Kruger versus Moz

Unread post by Sneeugans » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:16 pm

Sorry, but I cannot agree that Moz elephants are smaller than the Kruger ellies, aren`t they all African elephants? Not a different species like for instance the Indian elephants. It is possible that they havent had the same feeding opportunities that the Kruger ones are blessed with. They must obviously also be wilder and more skittish due to the past hunting history.
We have not entered Mozambique through Kruger yet, so I cannot comment on the size, condition etc. of the elephants in that part of Moz yet. We have, however, on numerous occasions seen the big herds of huge beasts in the "Reserva dos elefantes do Maputo", which lies between Ponta do Ouro, and Santa Maria near Inhaca island. We have seen large herds from the air (helicopter) as well as whilst travelling through the elephant park by road on the way to Santa Maria by means of 4x4 vehicles. The only difference that I can comment on is their behaviour, they are certainly a lot wilder, but smaller? sorry!!

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Rooies » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:46 pm

@Sneeugans. Perhaps the elephants you are referring to have not been subjected to wild scale hunting. It has been reported in various magazines and I have seen it with my own eyes that where hunting (or poaching) took place, the size of the elephants were much smaller than in areas where there were no hunting. Hunters looked for trophy animals, i.e. animals with the biggest tusks. So what were left were the animals that the hunters were not interested in and they are the ones that were left to breed.

In a recent issue of a well known off road magazine, the authors of an article made the same observation. I have seen a picture that was taken a 100 years ago of elephant tusks laying in the streets of Port Elizabeth ready to be exported. There were 4 rows of tusks stretching as far as the eye could see and all of them would have qualified as big Kruger tuskers.
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof

firefinch

Unread post by firefinch » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:24 pm

Siobain, I strongly disagree with your observations.

There is no way to visually differentiate Kruger elephants and Moz elephants.

Kruger elephant populations are rising steadily, true, but this is not because of an influx of Moz ellies (whose numbers must have been extremely low anyway when the fences were dropped to create the Transfrontier park.)

If you have ever been near the Mopani area in central Kruger you will not find elephants to be a scarce at all.

The 'Moz ellies are much smaller, with tiny straight little tusks and flatter, smaller heads' you refer to are surely just normal Kruger breeding herds consisting of individuals of varying ages and sizes. Female elephants always have more angular heads with smaller narrower tusks than males, and so Im pretty sure the small elephants you refer to are simply normal females of varying ages.

The decline of big tuskers on the other hand is a valid concern but not one you would have noticed a difference in in the last 10 years. If you compare today to 100 years ago, hunting has definitely been responsible for reducing the big tusk gene throughout african populations, as proved by studies showing that 100 years ago, a much higher percentage (i recall the no. to be as high as 40%) of bull elephants carried 100 pound tusks. These days Big tuskers are far rarer.

johanrebel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by johanrebel » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:50 pm

For elephant movements in Kruger (and elsewhere) see: http://www.savetheelephants.org/tracking.html

Michelle Henley who runs the elephant monitoring project up at Pafuri gave a very interesting presentation on the subject at Pafuri Camp last week.

Johan

twigga

Re: Elephant

Unread post by twigga » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:17 am

Hi all, does anyone know what could cause this "droopy ear" defect of this ellie seen at Nsemani dam near Satara. I know there was a bull elephant seen at Satara webcam with the same defect, don't know what happened to him though.....

Droopy ear by twigga2011, on Flickr
Those in glass houses should not throw stones...

Ranred

Unread post by Ranred » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:37 pm

Ello, unfortunately I don't have an answer to the floppy ear, but if anyone does please mention, it is a rather weird occurrence.

Here are a few picks from the last visit to Kruger. We spent one afternoon parked next to Klopperfontein dam where we were fortunate to watch a group of 5 elephant playing in the water for hours.

With the next picture, any idea if the highlighted area contains a wound from a fight or other conflict?
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference"

Ranred

Unread post by Ranred » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:36 pm

About the floppy ear: I stand to be corrected but apparently it is caused by a full body fungal or viral infection that an animal can get when they are younger and often results in floppy ears, this can be found in dogs and cats as well.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference"

salamanda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by salamanda » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:03 pm

Lovely pics Ranred. I love watching elephants in the water and these pics really capture the moment.

It seems that Floppy Ear is caused when elephants get their heads wedged in a tight place and the withdrawal causes the cartilage of the ear to break, but not the skin. (Biology, Medicine, and Surgery of Elephants By Murray E. Fowler and Susan K. Mikota). I don't know about the virus or fungal disorder and cant find anything about it in elephants - that's not to say that it may not be so.

Leeukos
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Leeukos » Sun May 20, 2012 9:41 am

This elephant was drinking water at Mlondozidam close to Lower-Sabie. The dam was empty and the elephant had to walk on the rocks to get to the water.

Did You Know? :hmz:
The biggest elephant was recorded in Angola in 1974. The shoulder height was 3.96 meter heigh and the circumference of his front leg was 1.8 meter.
Last edited by Leeukos on Sun May 20, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A roaring lion kills no game."
"Until lions start writing down their own stories, the hunters will always be heroes."
"If you kill a tree, you are killing a bird."
“When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.”

Leeukos
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Leeukos » Sun May 20, 2012 9:50 am

An elephant struggling to get to the water through the mud at Mlondozidam.

Did You Know? :hmz:
The longest elephant tusk comes from Kenia and was 3 276.6 mm.
"Until lions start writing down their own stories, the hunters will always be heroes."

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: What's This Old Ellie Doing?

Unread post by wildtuinman » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:52 am

Elephants have been known to walk around with objects in their trunks and mouths. They are sometimes found walking around with road signs in their trunks which they pull from the ground. There are records of them carrying around bones of dead relatives as well as other animals. And there was also a report from Mopani where a bull threw a rock at a game drive vehicle!

I believe that this old cow is probably just licking the minerals from the rock, as they would do with bones as well.
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

adw
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by adw » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:03 pm

I believe it is a fairly rare occurence for an Elephant to have twins. In this photo the female is running away from what I believe was a swarm of bees followed very closely by her twins, (the swarm had just flown past my vehicle). Taken on the S125 (Nwaswiso ntso Road) during my November 2011 trip.

Rhino Poaching - Highlight's man's stupidity and greediness.

ekoppen
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Ellies having fun

Unread post by ekoppen » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:03 pm

Don't get in the way

*****2016*****
Skukuza Oct 28, 29,30,31
Orpen Nov 1, 2
Punda Maria Nov 4, 5
Oliphants Nov 6, 7, 8
Satara Nov 9, 10, 11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25
Lower Sabi Nov 26, 27,28,29
Crocodile Bridge Nov 30 Dec 1

RayK
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Ellies having fun

Unread post by RayK » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:45 pm

Hi ekoppen,
Great photo. The Wildebeest checking out the action is an added plus. :thumbs_up:

Leeukos
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Leeukos » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:03 am

Return to “SANParks Tuskers”