Skip to Content

Wireless 3G Internet & Cell phone Access

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Shutterbug

Re: Connectivity for our iPad - wifi?? need techie help

Unread post by Shutterbug » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:38 am

Hi bustergirl and welcome to the forums,
Several years ago I bought an unlocked MiFihttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiFi and no matter where we travel in the world we can find a cell shop and buy a data card for it, it converts a cell phone data plan into a WiFi signal that any device can connect to, so it will work wherever you can get cell coverage (which is most Kruger camps) we would never travel without it. We travel to Kruger pretty much once a year and buy a data plan from the cell shop in Johannesburg airport (cheaper than a data plan in North America :shock: )
I also know that if you have an unlocked iPhone 4 it can do pretty much the same thing, the key is that these things MUST be unlocked so they can work on any cell phone providers network.

privalli

Unread post by privalli » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:26 am

Hi Bustergirl,

Last month I was in KNP and I bought a vodacom SIM at the airport with only data volume (750MB) for R390,
two hours after inserting the card in my unlocked iphone I was able to share the connection 3g with my IPAD

There is a 3G network in and aroud the main camp in the south part of the park, but north of skukuza only Edge network but it's ok to read e-mail, browse internet and use KNP Sighting apps.

3G is ok to call with skype.

Have a nice trip

spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by spargish » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:53 am

Hi Buster Girl

I trust you dont have a 3g ipad. Your best bet would be to get a mifi device. I would advise sticking to the Vodacom and MTN networks, Cell C and 8ta maybe slightly cheaper but have no 3g coverage in KNP. Vodacom also have the best mifi device IMO. A mifi device uses a sim card to work as a wifi network allowing your Ipad to connect to it.

If you have a 3g ipad you could just buy a vodacom microsim. Creating a personal hotspot with your iphone is a possible solution but it does drain the battery of the iphone really quickly

I hope you have an awesome trip :mrgreen:
NO to OSV privleges! Equality for all Guests!
TR Cricket Days and last nights of Summer now on

Maargat G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Maargat G » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:56 am

Although I am not from over the seas I use my Iphone as a hotspot.

So you can just buy a simcard, load airtime or a data bundle on it and violla! You are ready to go.

MTN is BAD!! According to me...I have 2 mtn phones and then the Vodacom iphone, and have never experienced difficulty to connect with the vodacom. But MTN... :slap: Right next to the VC I get NOTHING!!

Havent used CC so cant comment on that, but if it were me to choose it would be the Big Red and not the Yellow.
Ratpack Member.

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!

spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by spargish » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:47 pm

it makes sense that Cell C would be close to vodacom as they piggy back on the Vodacome network. I have top say Cell C isnt the worst 8ta is ask me I know :slap:
NO to OSV privleges! Equality for all Guests!
TR Cricket Days and last nights of Summer now on

normana53
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Wireless 3G Internet & Cell phone Access

Unread post by normana53 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:30 pm

Verizon 4G iPhones will work internationally, but you have to get Verizon to unlock it before you go! I have purchased SIM cards at OR Tambo multiple times with no problem, walk in right off the plane. you have to show them your ticket or passport info (can't remember which, or if both) and walk out after a few minutes with the card installed and working on your phone.

The issue with many US call phones is that they aren't dual band/GSM capable. I have a HTC smartphone that won't work overseas, my wife has a dual band that works fine. I also keep an older dual band phone just for trips outside the US.
Dreaming of our next SANParks adventure
Do Justice, Love Kindness and Walk Humbly

toneyridge

Unread post by toneyridge » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:45 pm

Thanks for all your advise,
I will hire a dongle again. I have used the internet cafe at Skukuza for several years and yes you are allowed to use your own laptop.
The dongles work very well and are quite reasonable, its just a bit of a chore when you have just got off a long haul flight, there is usually a queque at the Vodaphone shop and it takes some time to set up your laptop. It delays getting to Kruger!!!
Toneyridge

simonB

Unread post by simonB » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:57 pm

While in Skukuza in May 2012, I did a speedtest using both ADSL connection at the conference facility and Vodacom 3G using my Vodacom dongle. The conference facility has WiFi but I did the speedtest directly with the LAN cable to get best speed results. The conference WiFi and LAN are only available for delegates but it gives an idea of the speed of landline based connection in the camp.

These are the official result which I published to my twitter https://twitter.com/SimonBotes/status/198054368942112768 just after doing the test:

Telkom ADSL at Conference Facility:

Using the Vodacom 3G in Skukuza I got the following results:

Best bet for fast internet in Skukuza would be Vodacom 3G.

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: WiFi

Unread post by Stark » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:16 am

I went with the dongle and, while it wasn't a fast connection, we could get online just fine. To save on bandwidth, save the mobile or low bandwidth links to your email, facebook, etc.
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb
Kruger Bound in May!
6-8 Berg-en-dal
9-11 Lower Sabie
12-14 Satara
15-17 Letaba
18-20 Tamboti
21-22 Skukuza

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Re: WiFi

Unread post by Crested Val » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:05 pm

I'll second that Arks. :thumbs_up:

I have taken my Vodacom Dongle to Kruger for the last 7 years, and have always had internet connection in the main camps.

At Skuks, you get 3G and a good signal, and at the other camps you get 2G, which is slow......but heck I'm in the park to see the wildlife. I just like to say "hi" on the forums, and send an occasional email to our kids!!

I could not upload photos to Flickr last year even at Skuks, but otherwise no probs. :thumbs_up:

Klystron
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Klystron » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:23 am

The "dongle" being discussed is more like the Australians name it than a true dongle.
A dongle is usually supplied with a purchased program for a computer and is a method of preventing piracy as the program will not run without the dongle.
Electronically the dongle supplies a code that allows the program to run.

The device being discussed (sorry I do not know it's proper name as I have never used one) is very similar to a cell phone but without a keyboard or display.
It's sole purpose is to interface a computer with the cellular network for data traffic so it is the equivalent of the Modem used at home to connect to a telephone / ADSL line.
Hope this helps a little.

For myself I use a MTN phone in the park and have a pay as you go MTN phone in my car using the car's outside aerial.
The car usually has reception for more than 50% of the time (including trips to Crook's Corner) whereas the phones have signal for about 20% of the time.
Around and in Skukuza we get a full signal and have also used Internet, both with the 3G capability of the phone and with the WiFi signal on a lap top.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:38 am

This is a typical "Dongle"
It just fits into a USB outlet in your computer.
I wouldn't be without mine!!! :thumbs_up:

bustergirl

Unread post by bustergirl » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:39 pm

Here's what I did, coming from America.

I have a iphone 4s.
I made sure it was unlocked by my US carrier (Verizon).
I emailed the Vodacom store at the JNB airport, and they sent a link to order a data SIM card.
I picked up the SIM card after arriving.
The guy at Vodacom said my phone wasn't unlocked and that it wouldn't work.
This was really frustrating to me.

But when I got to Berg en Dal, my husband looked at my phone.
It was registered with Vodacom and worked just fine as a hot spot.
It was super slow compared to at home, but worked ok for checking email and posting on Facebook.

So if the Vodacom store tells you that your phone isn't unlocked - and you think it is - don't give up.
I think it is helpful to turn your phone off and then back on to get it to recognize the Vodacom SIM card.

Good luck!

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:47 am

+27 11 3903362Fax: +27 86 554 9580email: jiamanager@Cellucity.co.za
Vodashop: O R Tambo Intl. Airport
Main Arrivals Hall
Tel: +27 11 394 8834Fax: +27 11 390 2020email: polo@cellucity.co.za
OR Tambo Domestic Arrivals
2nd floor Main International Arrivals Terminal
Tel: +27 11 390 3287Fax: +27 11 390 1834email: Nicholson@cellucity.co.za

Not sure if any of those would help Safarigirl.

normana53
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by normana53 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:24 am

I used a web service that has a way you can reserve and pay in advance, I did this on our last trip and it worked very well. Walked into the Vodafone store at OR Tambo, showed them my identification, they handed me my SIM card and dongle, and I was off in less than 10 minutes! The site is b4igo.travel
Dreaming of our next SANParks adventure
Do Justice, Love Kindness and Walk Humbly

Return to “Kruger National Park”