Skip to Content

Cam chit chat

Discuss the Orpen (KNP), Satara (KNP), Addo and Nossob (KTP) webcams
PJL
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Cam chit chat

Unread post by PJL » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:16 am

Super Mongoose wrote:I've also noticed, Addo gives us lots of action, but not every day, more like every second day.
Is there another waterhole nearby or does ellies not need to drink everyday? - I thought they have to drink everyday.
What does the forumies say?

There are plenty of waterholes in Addo - all within easy reach for the herds. If you take a look at the main game area map (see http://www.sanparks.org/images/parks/maps/main-game-colchester-area-map.jpg), you'll see that Rooidam and Gwarrie Pan are very close by. Harpoor Dam is a very popular spot for Addo Ellies, so when you're not seeing them at the main camp waterhole for days on end, it's very likely that there will be plenty around that area of the park. :thumbs_up:

ossendryver
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ossendryver » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:34 pm

This is what I saw on my recent trip to Satara.

Nice to see the resident hyena LIVE!
This was the night on the 28th when the cam was down. So this is what you missed: :twisted:

vinkie, it was nice sharing this moment with you too! :D

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:49 pm

For those of you who saw some human activity around Orpen webcam yesterday (Tue 19 Feb) and around Satara webcam today (20 Feb), that was us doing a bit of cleaning of covers, lenses, etc at both cams in Kruger National Park.

The Satara webcam was also leveled a bit as it was very skew. This leveling we performed, caused the programmed positions to be out a bit. I'll reprogram it remotely again to fine tune the newer angles again. We had to leave as we have a hectic schedule to visit all camps and gates in Kruger from Punda Maria in the north to Malelane in the South in abt 5 days including more time spent at the damaged Shingwedzi.

I squeezed the webcams in Kruger into the schedule to check, clean covers and lenses, clean out cobwebs, level Satara webcam, checking on the general health of both webcams.

Good night from Lower Sabie, Kruger National Park..raining a bit here at the moment with elephants trumpeting in the distance... (I added this bit to make you all jealous.... :wink: )
Regards

Danie Pretorius
Senior Manager: IT Infrastructure
South African National Parks (SANParks)

melph68
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year (2014)

Unread post by melph68 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:12 am

Hi Danie :D :D

Thank you so much for fitting some cam maintenance into your busy schedule :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:
Your time is greatly appreciated :thumbs_up:

And yes, hearing about the ellies trumpeting in the distance, makes me very jealous!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
March 2012
Kruger, Karoo, Addo

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:09 pm

Dear All

There are some gremlins in the network preventing the images from our webcams to be uploaded to the web server. The webcams are all fine and online and I can 'see' them all here from Pretoria on our Wide Area Network (WAN).

See below that the cams are up and running (check the date/time stamp in the viewer):

Satara:

Orpen:

Nossob:

Addo:

I know the above does not help you a lot but at least there is nothing wrong with the cams or the communication links to the webcams. The problem seems to be security related to get the images 'out' of our network to the webcam server in the USA.

Thanks for all the offers to assist in physically fixing the webcams on site in Kruger, Kgalagadi and Addo but they are all fine (see above)! :wink:

We hope to have an update soon!
Regards

Danie Pretorius

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:24 pm

Nobody needs to cancel any trips to any of our beautiful national parks! :naughty:

The only slight change in forumite/cammer perception (and I hate to break this news to you :wink: ) is that you don't need to visit KNP/Addo/Kgalagadi to fix any of the webcams; all cams are fine BUT you MUST visit the park(s) to ensure good healthy nutritional food for your sole and well being and a good charge for your internal batteries! :wink: It is always nice to see the webcams in person as well!
Regards

Danie Pretorius

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:44 pm

MATTHYS wrote:I will leave the taking care of the cams in Danie's very :clap: capable hands, but thank you, LS :D am soooo looking forward to the flabbertastic time in Kruger :dance:

:) My "capable hands" MATTHYS?, hehe..this is for sure a big team effort and our biggest contributors and helpers are YOU, the mods and forumites! Without you the webcams don't make sense at all and will be a complete failure!

Enjoy Kruger and have a GOOD rest! Give my regards to all my 4-legged colleagues in the bush! They should know me :wink:
Regards

Danie Pretorius

melph68
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year (2014)

Unread post by melph68 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:42 am

Congratulations on your Legendary status Lionspoon!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thoroughly deserved a 1000000 times over :thumbs_up:

Thanks for everything you've done and continue to do for the cams - you are a total legend :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :k
March 2012
Kruger, Karoo, Addo

PJL
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by PJL » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:59 pm

Whoaa Luiperd! wrote:Hi All, just a question. I see there is a cam highlight of a brown hyena at the Nossob water point. This is the 2nd one I've seen in about a week. I've read Mark and Delia Owens book, Cry of the Kalahari, where they did extensive research on the Kalahari brown hyena, and as far as I remember reading, the brown hyena is very water independent, getting most of its moisture from the fluids of it's prey. Does this mean that it's very dry in the Kalahari at the moment? I've never been to the Kalahari, one of my top places to go camping next to Kruger and Chobe! :D

Hi Whoaa Luiperd :yaya:

It is very dry around Nossob at the moment compared to this time last year, but whether that's why 'Brian' the brown hyena is coming to the waterhole at the moment I'm not sure - he seems to be a regular on the cam for most of the year unless I'm mistaken. You'll often catch him around dusk or dawn having a drink at the waterhole :thumbs_up:

Whoaa Luiperd!

Unread post by Whoaa Luiperd! » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:24 am

Thanks PJL, for the reply. I don't get a chance to be on the cams at dusk or dawn, because I'm either stuck in the traffic on the way to work or stuck in the traffic on the way home at that time. :wall: But nice to know that "Brian" is a regular. Amazing animals brown hyenas!
Just when I was worried about the dryness in the Kalahari, then the Easter bunny comes around and waters the plants there. Just in time for the Easter weekend! :dance:
Through respect for nature, we will find respect for our fellow man.

Kgalagadi Guru
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Kgalagadi Guru » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:51 am

Hi there Whoaa Luiperd,

Sorry for the late reply. You are correct in saying that Brownies get most of their fluids from kills (but so does plenty of the other predators in the Kgalagadi), but due to the fast distances they travel at night looking for food they will stop at water holes to drink as they are not always lucky to find something to eat.

We have had the situation where we at Twee Rivieren would find up to 5 Brownies in a night.

Hope it helps and if there is anything else we could assist with please just let us know.

KG (Jannie)
Head: Field Guiding
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
jan.kriel@sanparks.org

vinkie
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa

Unread post by vinkie » Thu May 02, 2013 10:22 pm

haileyidaho wrote:Hi LOVELY Cammers!

Orpen is hot right now, as you may be seeing, (WTMs, and what looks like either a Civet or a ring-tailed cat) but the highlight is saying that I am saving frames - I'm really not! :(

I did save the one WTM :D. I think it's because I'm hard at work (yes, I know :naughty: :naughty: ). Writing reports is so much more fun when the cams are on the corner of my screen 8)

Happy Camming,
H

Hi Hailey,

I saw this one a second ago :D

Live life on the edge but be careful not to fall off! :wink:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

:dance: Planning our 2017 trip to Kruger National Park or Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park :dance:

haileyidaho
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by haileyidaho » Wed May 15, 2013 4:15 am

A year ago tonight... just the usual evening of watching the cams, and since it was May, watching the NBA playoffs with my SO...

And then...

The adrenaline rush of a cammer's life. :D The energy in this shot practically burst through my screen.

PJL was watching as well and posted his great captures too :clap:

Can't believe its been a year and there's still more to see on the cams. Happy Camming! :popcorn:
NOVEMBER 2013
Augrabies KTP
Rooiputs, MataMata, Polenswa
Sizatswe, Swart Pan, Kaa
Mapaya, Mabua, Mosimane

PJL
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by PJL » Wed May 15, 2013 12:03 pm

haileyidaho wrote:Can't believe its been a year

:big_eyes: :big_eyes: Still seems like yesterday Hailey :thumbs_up:

Just imagine... one day we'll get the same again... on the Live Cam :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:20 am

kyknetta wrote:Morning NetEk!
I think Danie - the Webcam Guru, is playing with the focus !
Thanks Danie! Wonderful to "look around".
Feel if I am sitting in the hide.
4 weeks to go...
:gflower:

:) No it was not me.

I think something/somebody physically rotated the whole cam body as all the presets were out with at least 30 degrees. I reset te presets again yesterday and it should be fine now again. (The camera reboots every time power is cut and restored to it - bear in mind Nossob runs from a generator and it does not run all the time). As the generator is started again early morning, the camera reboots and returns to its "home" position which is a preset and if the camera is not oriented physically correctly, the cam "thinks" it is looking at the correct angle but then it is not!

All fixed yesterday! Happy camming!
Regards

Danie Pretorius

Return to “Webcams”