Skip to Content

Litter, speeding and general lawlessness in Kruger....

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: No respect in Kruger anymore

Unread post by ndloti » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:58 am

Nyawutse hide north of Grootvlei dam is one of those rare locations where one can enjoy silence - my (rainyday) record from Dec 2009 is 3h10 min - then a polite couple arrived , they actually closed the gate very gently , walked like cats do and whispered softly - but in Dec 2011 a noisy 2 family foot stamping brat pack arrived with their inconsiderate parents and ruined my day .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:37 pm

We had the same problem at Lake Panic..............a very noisy family who brought a massive picnic lunch!! :big_eyes:

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by onewithnature » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:52 am

Pity the crocs didn't fancy it, CV. :twisted:
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:52 am

onewithnature wrote:Pity the crocs didn't fancy it, CV. :twisted:

Pity the croc didn't fancy THEM!!! :whistle:

Seriously though it's not acceptable behaviour!!
Mum was shoutiong "Who wants cheese and tomato....who wants some cold chicken.........a child was whinging I want cool drink etc etc!!!

Mind you I read somewhere, that someone from the forums went to a bird hide, only to find people had set up a braai!!! :big_eyes:

I remember the first time I went to Lake Panic, my wheelchair made a bit of a clunk clunk as it came down the decking, and the dirty looks we got when we arrived at the hide............ :twisted:

Each hide displays the rules at the entrance so how can people flaunt them so openly. :popcorn:

onewithnature

Unread post by onewithnature » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:11 am

Yes, CV, it's bizarre how low some people's etiquette has sunk; as I've mentioned before, it's the Me-Me-Me Syndrome. :whistle: I remember clearly in the old days (Eighties and Nineties), how little noise, pollution, and bad behaviour there was around Kruger. Hides and lookouts were usually quiet, people coming and going with a quiet footfall and whispered words. It was a pleasure to soak up the sounds of the bush and revel in the silence everywhere. It's been a mindless shock in recent years, with booming voices, litter, speeding, and general disregard for everything and everyone. It's like a Pandora's Box was opened and mayhem has prevailed! Amazing to hear how people have the gall to disrespect a person in a wheelchair because the wheels make a noise; that is pure hypocrisy!
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:32 am

I had to be a little less than frienldly to a couple when my elderly (about 85) father let the door 'slam' at Nyawuti when he was carrying stuff and didn't have a free hand.

It is one thing to be loud, but another when you make a noise by accident.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:15 pm

I'm going to very controvertial now and suggest that maybe the increase in bad behaviour could be connected to the fact that since Aparteid finished in the early nineties, more overseas vistors (which includes me by the way!!) are coming to the park, and quite a few of them could be the offenders.

Before you all shoot me, I will add that that some overseas visitors (especially forums members) are model guests, and not all Saffies are well behaved, but during the Aparteid years many overseas visitors boycotted SA, so the majority of visitors would have been Saffies, and I think that most people agree that more respect for the park was shown then.

Part of the problem could be attributed to language problems, but not all of it.
South Africans (quite rightly ) are proud of their national parks, whereas some overseas visitors mayj ust see it as another tourist destination.

With the increase in overseas visitors has come the increase in bad behaviour.

That is of course just my respectful humble opinion. :thumbs_up:

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:59 pm

There are a number of things that have changed that could be the cause of bad behaviour.

I am not trying to criticise anyone here, because my experience has shown that there are those in any identified or percieved 'group' that totally buck the stereotype, and those that fit it to the "T".

In the apartheid era, the majority of Kruger visitors were Afrikaners. That is still the case today.

Then, the majority of staff were also Afrikaners and stayed in staff villages. Nowadays with outsourcing, a lot of the staff (including outsourced) live outside the park and are inhabitants of neighbouring settlements, and require transport to get to work and back daily.

There was hardly any accommodation for 'non whites' (please bear with me here for the sake of our international forumites - there were 3 non white groups, blacks, coloureds (of mixed race) and asiatics) and I don't know if they were permitted to enter the park without being employed by a white family. Nowadays, accom is for all.

There were not many lodges around the perimeter of Kruger so there were far fewer day visitors, and population of the surrounding settlements hardly visited, whereas nowadays, there is great demand for day visits.

There was no thoroughfare through Kruger, now there are 2 well used routes through.

I think your suggestion is small potatoes Val. :wink:
Last edited by Bush Baptist on Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:05 pm

Bush Baptist wrote:There are a number of things that have changed that could be the cause of bad behaviour.

I think your suggestion is small potatoes Val. :wink:

and from small potatoes can grow a big spud. :wink: :lol: :lol:

billyf

Unread post by billyf » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:10 pm

I actually think that the problem of littering, disregard of the rules, is partly due to a general breakdown of law enforcement in South Africa and therefore an attitude that has permeated South african society that because there is no law, I am above the law.

But this is also a worldwide phenomena of Me-Me-Me, and its all about what's good for me and stuff you mate :doh:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

brogan

Unread post by brogan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:45 am

billyf wrote:I actually think that the problem of littering, disregard of the rules, is partly due to a general breakdown of law enforcement in South Africa and therefore an attitude that has permeated South african society that because there is no law, I am above the law.

But this is also a worldwide phenomena of Me-Me-Me, and its all about what's good for me and stuff you mate :doh:

Billy I agree with you 100% on your comment!! You can see it all over the place. And the fact that law enforcement can’t be in the park on all the roads all the time (would prefer not) they can’t enforce the rules. "Out of sight, out of mind" comes to mind. Reason for why I would rather not have police on every road is because it’s the bush, you should be able to park your car and sit there for a few minutes by yourself, without a police car driving past every 5 minutes. I have also noticed people are more selfish (especially at a sighting) they will actively drive in front of your car and stop to see the sighting, see it, and not move so that you, who was there first, can also enjoy the sighting, which is why we frequent the park in the first place.

I sound like an old goat even though I am rather young, but I love the park the same, if not more than anyone who visits the park. Why can t I enjoy hte park the way I would like to..

Rookie2009
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Video that rule breakers should see

Unread post by Rookie2009 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:14 pm

This video should be shown to all the rule breakers that get out of their car - even in the open vehicle you are not safe and should always be careful!!!!

Honeymoon in Kruger
12.03.2012-22.03.2012
BergenDal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Shindzela Lodge

noeg

Unread post by noeg » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:38 pm

So we all blame the people who do not know how to behave. But how should they improve their behaviour? They might find their behaviour normal or might not even know they should behave differently.
We're only complaining and giving examples of bad situations, but what do we do about it.
Seems like we're expecting KPN or the police should solve this problem and we have no part in it

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Video that rule breakers should see

Unread post by Crested Val » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:41 pm

Elsa wrote:The Leopard certainly gave enough warning that it wasn't happy with their presence so they can't say they weren't forewarned.

That's how I see it Elsa. :thumbs_up:
A hissing moggie is not a happy moggie. :naughty:

Heksie

Unread post by Heksie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:00 pm

Noeg, I have told people before to climb in their car and have received a 'finger' in reply. I do stop in the road, next to the road etc to pick up trash and other unmentionables, read my TR about that. But we don't have any 'higher-say' if I can put it like that :hmz: the parkstaff and rangers should enforce certain laws like littering, getting out of car and speeding more stringently as they have the authority to do so.
18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

30 Sept-4 Oct Lower Sabie

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara

Return to “Kruger National Park”