Skip to Content

Namaqua National Park: Advice

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Dreamer
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Dreamer » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:24 pm

Hi Supertad
Hope that this give you an idea Not too sure what you would refer to as too close or too far but having a look at this first pic may answer your question
The following are taken from our chalet.... awesome views
Image Taken from kitchen area looking out towards enclosed verandah
ImageFromm bedroom looking out towards enclosed verandah
ImageFom in the verandah. The lounge door and bedroom door both opens onto this verandah.
We are visiting again in Sept, this time will spend a few days. Last visit was only an overnight stay on way home from KTP and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
Enjoy
At home...... dreaming of next trip to KTP

DinkyBird

:Namaqua National Park to go coastal thanks to De Beers!

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:24 pm

by Zakiya Fareed

On Thursday, 6 November 2008, CE of SANParks, Dr David Mabunda accepted 36 000 hectares of land from De Beers Consolidated Mines (DBCM) to expand the Namaqua National Park all the way to the coast! The 99 year lease agreement was signed at Head Office (Groenkloof National Park) by Dr. Mabunda and Mr. David Noko, the Managing Director of DBCM.

The small ceremony was attended by various SANParks officials including Namaqua National Park Manager, Bernardt van Lente and Regional Manager of the Arid Region, Dries Engelbrecht as well as the deputy chairman of DBCM, Mr. Manne Dipico and their head of ecology, Johan Kruger.

The 36 000ha forms the area between the Groen and Spoeg Rivers and acquisition of this means that the park is linked from the high lying areas around the Skilpad section through to the coast. This inclusion will increase the Namaqua National Park area to 144 000ha, making it the fifth largest national park after Kruger, Kgalagadi, Addo and Richtersveld.

The greater significance of the acquisition of this land is that the park contains key components of the Succulent Karoo biome – the world’s only arid biodiversity hoptspot. The Succulent Karoo biome has been identified as a priority for protected area development. This acquisition brings into the Park 36 000ha of pristine coastline for this purpose.

The signing of this agreement also heralded the beginning of a few more plans for the area. SANParks has initiated the planning processes for the establishment of a Marine coastal Area of the coast between the Groen and Spoeg areas. It has also been decided to expand the park into the Kamiesberg mountains behind Kamieskroon.

SANParks has also already initiated an R8,5m Working for the Coast project, which is employing 55 people over a 3 year period in rehabilitation and development of this area. SANParks has also accessed just over R1m from DEAT and have employed a section ranger and two rangers for the daily management of the area.

In addition, Dr. Mabunda announced to the group that he had, just that morning, approved an allocation of R3,7m from the Park Development Fund in order to implement a fencing project for this coastal component of the Park. This news was well received by all, especially Bernardt van Lente and Dries Engelbrecht.

“Through our approach of labour intensive infrastructure development and local procurement, we would hope that this will give a further stimulus to the area. In longer term, of course, what we are all working towards is the development of a viable and sustainable eco-tourism economy in this wild and beautiful coastal area,” said Dr. Mabunda.

In closing, Dr Mabunda expressed his gratitude towards all partners, De Beers in particular, for making it possible to move forward towards a biodiverse and economically vibrant future for all. He further thanked De Beers for the productive relationship built and expressed hope that the relationship would be nurtured in future through similar projects.
Sawubona
Dalene

Senyetse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Namaqua National Park Dec 2008

Unread post by Senyetse » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:34 pm

These pics were taken during our trip to Namaqua in December 2008

The best (most private) chalet is number 4.

Office and reception in the distance:

Dec '11 - Storms River
June '12 - Berg-en-Dal

mirabib

ACCESS TO COASTAL SECTION OF NAMAQUA NP

Unread post by mirabib » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:04 pm

My first post. I am an addicted desert rat, roaming the area from Namaqualand to Skeleton Coast and inland to Etosha, KTP and Aughrabies.

We have often gone to a place known in Namaqualand as Boulder Bay, +-30km South of Hondeklip Bay. (Close to the dune fields.) I am not sure whether it is south of the Spoeg river (I don't exactly know where the Spoeg river is), but I suspect it is. In the past we arranged permission through CDM.

How will the transfer to NP affect access to this area? I was planning another photography trip here for June 2009.

Boorgatspook
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

New 4x4 Trail opens in Namaqua National Park

Unread post by Boorgatspook » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:58 am

Media Release
A new 4x4 trail, the Caracal Ecoroute, was opened for visitors during July 2009 at the Namaqua National Park. The 153km trail stretches from Skilpad in the Northeast to Groen River in the south, and will enable visitors to enjoy previously inaccessible new areas of the Namaqua.

The Caracal Ecoroute will take visitors through some of the most spectacular scenery in Namaqua, from the Kamiesberg with unending vistas, through the beautiful inland dunes and along 50km of breathtaking west coast. Along the way you can see amongst other the hand- constructed Wildeperdehoek pass; historic caves; estuaries rich in birdlife, and in flower season, the whole spectrum of flowers in Namaqua.

Animals such as Gemsbok, Hartebeest and Springbok are common in the flatter areas, and in the mountains you may even see such rarities as Leopard and Aardwolf. Along the coast and in the countless picturesque little bays you may see Heavisides’ dolphins (a West Coast endemic) and the occasional whale further offshore.

The trail is considered easy, with the most ‘difficult’ areas being some sandy stretches along the coast and some mountain sections - graded no more than three anywhere. The wet season can be tricky though and strong-flowing streams and rivers should not be crossed. During wet season it is recommended that two vehicles do the trail together. The trail can take anything from 4-7 hours, depending on conditions and time spent sightseeing. Best time of year: Any time, because of the diverse habitats the route goes through. The route may be closed after heavy rains- please enquire beforehand.

No bookings are necessary for the Caracal Ecoroute, but it is essential to obtain a booklet and map at Skilpad Office. Fees are R100 per vehicle and normal conservation fees per person will apply. The trail is free of charge for Skilpad Rest camp residents. Residents can either return along the same route or via Garies.

There can be few things more enjoyable than staying in one of our picture- perfect, fully equipped self-catering chalets at Skilpad, and then doing the trail at your leisure from there. The Ecoroute will show a side of Namaqua few people are aware of.

WeskusKlong
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Namaqua in August

Unread post by WeskusKlong » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:56 am

Hi jeroenvm,

I live on the West Coast, want to share the following:

In 2007, the flowers peaked in the last week of August - it was a bumper season with fantastic flowers.

In 2008, we had much less flowers. We left for the Richtersveld on the 2nd of August, saw a lot of flowers right through Namaqualand. All these photos were taken on the 2 August 2008:

Returning 2 weeks later we hoped to see much more but fact is there was little left. By the end of August it was all over.

Last year, ie 2009, the flowers peaked early again - mid August. Again by the end of August we had little flowers left.

Last weekend I saw the first flowers blooming. Very little still but they are starting. As Bush Baptist said, it all depends on the rain/sun cycles. We need a good balance of both to have good flowers. Up to now we had good winter rains and as I am typing this we have sunshine - which is good. I would say there is a lot of luck involved when you do a booking to come and see the flowers. I have seen many tour buses driving around with disappointed tourists when they are either to early or to late, but mostly I must say, to late.
In love with God's creation

Dabchick
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Namaqua National Park: ADVICE

Unread post by Dabchick » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:45 am

How "tough" are the 4x4 routes in Namaqua National Park?

I've done the Skilpad circular route before in a small car, but would love to do the 4x4 routes in the park. However, I'm not into heavy duty off-roading, and would not like my "soft-roader" 4x4, a Daihatsu Terios, damaged by roads that are really too tough for it. So, can a Terios take those roads, or is it really only for the "big boy" 4x4's ?

Same question re 4x4 routes in Goegap Nature Reserve near Springbok (this is not SANParks is it :redface: ?) ... any advise?

Dotty
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Namaqua National Park: ADVICE

Unread post by Dotty » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:19 am

No not SANParks :naughty: Please private message Dabchick with any non SANParks suggestions :wink:
KUDU's mean Well done and Thank you

onewithnature

Re: Namaqua NP

Unread post by onewithnature » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:15 am

Caracal wrote:Hi varademoises

Yes you can get to Skilpad Rest camp with a sedan and it is well worth it if you intend going there in the flower season. There is a short circular drive that you can do in your sedan but further than that ...no you will need a 4 x 4. The short circular route is where you will see most of the beautiful flowers alongside ( if you are lucky) bat-eared foxes, meerkats and steenbokkies. There are some awesome hikes that one can do ..not strenuopus at all and you see many beautiful flowers along the way.Tthe road from Kamieskroon to Skilpad can be horrendous when it comes to corrugations etc but it can be done in a sedan. The chalets at the rest camp are awesome..very well equipped and the view..sigh...you need go no further. :D

Absolutely, Caracal! I did the walks more than the drives as I was enthralled with finding flowers close-up. At close range, there are more species than you can imagine. :dance: :dance:
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

zookrat

Through Namaqua to Hondeklipbaai and back in a sedan?

Unread post by zookrat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:10 am

Can anyone help me with knowledge of the current road conditions please?
Went over Wildeperdehoekpas in my 4x4 in Feb 2011 and besides a short section of rough road near Hondeklipbaai I don't remember thinking it was necessary to have a 4x4. Little did I know then I would have the chance to do it in a hired tjorr this year!
We are going first week of Aug. Feedback on whether the blommetjies have started flowering this year would also be much appreciated.
Thanks
Zookrat

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Through Namaqua to Hondeklipbaai and back in a sedan?

Unread post by lion queen » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:01 am

Hi Zookrat and welcome,

We came up from Stellenbosch this past weekend, via Springbok, and yes there were "blommetjies" ( flowers) every where. It's not spectacular ( but this is still early days!!!), but they are there and should be a nice sighting by the time you go in August.

Enjoy and please show us your photos.......... :dance: :dance:
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Blackie

Unread post by Blackie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:53 am

Zookrat, it depends on what route you intend to follow from Namakwa NP - If you are going to exit via Soebatsfontein and then drive the coastal route ( the Eco 4x4 route), I do not think it is possible in a sedan - there are 2 bad patches of thick sand along that route to Hondeklip Bay.

As for flowers, my own personal thinking (having done about 6 flower trips over the last 8 years), the first week in August might be a bit too soon for flowers along the coastal line - more inland e.g. Garies, Springbok, Nababieb, etc you may have some luck.

But nevertheless, enjoy it! It is always a great experience, even with no or little flowers to see.

Blackie.
March/April 2013: Frontier Parks here we come!

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:06 am

Looking at the map I have from the Eco Trail route we did, to get to Hondeklip Baai, one turns off before the road goes along the beach and through the thick sand. I cannot say what the strip through the park one will have to do is like though.

I can email the map to you if you like Zookrat.
Sawubona
Dalene

zookrat

Unread post by zookrat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:51 pm

Wow! I’m new on here and didn’t expect so many friendly and helpful replies in such a short time. I’m touched and a beeg thank you to all :gflower:

Although timing isn't the greatest, we grabbed the opportunity to combine business and blommetjies and just go!

To avoid risking a damaged or stuck rental car spoiling a holiday we’ve decided to stay in Kammieskroon and day trip into the Namaqua Park instead. That doesn’t rule out the possibility of driving the road and turning around if it gets too bad…

Dalene; my unrented vehicle is a 4 x tjorr :) The eco route sounds great and I would love to have the map for planning future holidays if you would be so kind as to email it to me...

PS: Lion Queen, although my photographic skills leave a lot to be desired I will post a few pics so that others planning to go know what to expect this year.

Once again thanks to all
Zookrat
Last edited by zookrat on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zookrat

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:28 pm

A few years back we went to Hondeklip from the H7 turnoff north of Garies and the road was a bit sandy and we didn't go in a 4x4 then. We had great raptor sightings along the way.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Return to “Arid Parks”