Skip to Content

Telephoto Zoom Lens Advice

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
ctv4

Re: UPGRADING MY NIKON LENSES!

Unread post by ctv4 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:50 am

This is something negative ?I am reading about the VR of the 200-4400mm!

"But in general day to day shooting, if the lens on a tripod (yes VR stays on with this lens when on a tripod unless shooting video) or your hand holding technique is solid, the VR doesn’t get you sharper images. The one thing that bugs me about the VR though is how the image “jumps” in the viewfinder at times when the VR activates. On a few occasions the image jumped enough to force me to recompose. I couldn’t find a pattern in this so as to prevent it, I just had to mentally be prepared for it possibly happening."
13th Trip to KTP - Dec '12 / Jan '13

FIRST TRIP TO KTP WAS IN JUNE/JULY 1996!

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=61629

Scottm

Unread post by Scottm » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:44 pm

DuQues wrote:You could also go for the AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR?

The 18-300 f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens recently announced is likely to be so far removed from the quality of either the 200-400 f/4 or the 300 f2,8, and these other lenses should be considered to be in a separate quality class altogether.
"Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints"

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:00 pm

Nine aperture blades, 77mm frontlens... I think this lens is meant as an upgrade to the 18-200 which performs rather well.
ctv4 is not into birding, and this lens is a very versitale lens to say the least. Can be welded onto the camera really.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Scottm

Unread post by Scottm » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:46 am

I have no doubt that this lens will (when available) become one of the favourite walk-about lenses for many Nikon users, just as the 18-200 has become over the years. However, it will bring with it some limitations on the opportunities in low-light situations and when a minimal DOF is required. To overcome these limitations, substantial cash outflows will be required on a substantially faster lens......

I suspect that this lens will also be reasonably slow to focus in comparison to the higher-end offerings, which also come with their own limitations - both high wallet-depleting cost and less flexibility owing to much less "reach"

It is, however, still on my "wish-list", owing to its unsurpassed versatility.... Maybe the new 16-85VR, to complement my 70-300VR will simply have to suffice

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: the right thing?

Unread post by DuQues » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:40 pm

Guys, that is not what the question was! :lol:

Granjan, do not make the mistake of using the lens wide open. Like with every lens, it performs best if you close it one stop.
You hvbe some time left, go and make some photos at f/8 or f/9.0 instead of f/6.3. Of course it means that you will have less speed, so your exposuretime is something you need to keep an eye on.
If you have a tripod, or something similar, make a photo at f/6.3, and the same at f/8 or f/9. You should see a difference in sharpness.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Thebi

Re: the right thing?

Unread post by Thebi » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:58 am

Kicker Cat wrote:Had a sigma 100 - 500 for a short while - changed it for a Canon 100 - 400 never been sorry about the change.

Enjoy

The sigma 100-500 was not up to standard and should not be used to judge the 100-300 and 300-800. These are far better lens in every way.

PantoffelSlippers

Please assist me decide on a lens

Unread post by PantoffelSlippers » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:22 am

Hi there,

In short, I previously had a Canon 450D with Canon 100-400mm lens. This kit got stolen. I now have a Canon 60D with only a kit lens which is the 18-135mm.

My photography is primarily focussed on wildlife and my skill set very much falls within the amateur range although I would like to improve on that and move up the ranks.

I need to acquire another lens for wildlife photography within the next week or so. At the moment though (probably for next 6 to 12 months) I don't have the funds to get a L series lens again. So I need an alternative.

I'm currently considering the Canon 70-300mm IS (not L series). New it goes for about R5k. Also in the mix is the Sigma 70-300 OS for about R3800 I think. I've been trying to read reviews on sites like dpreview.com. I can't really make up my mind. Last few weeks a kept an eye on bid or buy, gumtree and olx as well. No real luck there for 2nd hand units.

I was hoping the experts here can let me know their thoughts on these two candidates and also whether there are any other alternatives.

Thanks a mil

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Please assist me decide on a lens

Unread post by bert » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:49 am

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... eview.aspx
http://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/l ... dg-os-lens

Seems they are basicly identical
Sigma is better built imo.
And then you have the price difference

mikef

Re: Please assist me decide on a lens

Unread post by mikef » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:46 pm

Working on the assumption that the R5k is the upper limit of your budget and based mostly on a lot of reading and research (although I have shot with quite a few of the lenses in the range) I would recommend the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM over the Sigma any day.

The problem with a lens with a rotating front element is that you need to keep adjusting the polariser filter when the zoom or focus changes. (The Canon also has this problem)

Two alternatives to consider which are also highly thought of by most reviewers are Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS (a much cheaper lens and often included in multiple lens kits with good IQ but not the best build quality) and the Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD (this lens is cheaper than the Canon you are considering and most reviewers consider it better quality.)

Good luck with your choices – the 60D with your kit lens is a great camera.
Last edited by mikef on Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scottm

Updated Nikon Wildlife lens announced

Unread post by Scottm » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:51 am

Nikon announced the replacement for the popular 80 - 400 lens with an updated version, now listed as the AF-S NIKKOR 80-400MM F/4.5-5.6G ED VR LENS

While this may prove to be a great lens and an opportunity improve one's glass, I believe that the price is likely to chase many enthusiasts away. Just shy of $2,700.00, it is a huge jump on the previous model used my many amateur wildlife photographers.

Have a look at these links for more insight:
http://photographylife.com/nikon-80-400mm-f4-5-5-6g-vs-80-400mm-f4-5-5-6d
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/03/05/Nikon-launches-AF-S-Nikkor-80-400mm-4p5-5p6G-ED-VR-telezoom

Scottm

Re: Updated Nikon Wildlife lens announced

Unread post by Scottm » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:07 pm

Hi Timbo

I have no doubt that this lens will have to be a HUGE IMPROVEMENT of the lens it replaces. There are, at least for me, a number of concerns and it also brings a number of dilemmas.

Firstly, the MTF graphs indicate that this lens will be superior in terms of sharpness across the range - that is good; Secondly, the VR has been improved, so hand-held will probably be much better; it will still work (how well, nobody yet knows) with a 1.4x extender on the newer Nikon bodies, giving a reach of up to 560mm on FX and equilavent of 840mm on DX bodies;

The downside for me will be the price and I believe that your estimate of R25k - R27k is a bit optimistic if bought here in SA ..... I think you can expect R30k+

But here is the dilema .... What, if any, would be the improvement of this lens over a 70-200mm f2.8 with the associated 1.4x, 1.7x and 2.0x converters attached. Changing converters may be inconvenient, but you do gain the benefit of having a similar reach with a lens that has a fixed, and not variable aperture ...... and that is a huge benefit when dealing with the isolation of a subject in portraiture, AND you can save a chunk of change in the process.....

Personally, for an outlay of R30,000 for a lens, there are a number of other options that provide for a better solution, at least on paper for the moment..... :hmz:

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”