Skip to Content

The Parks Shop

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: The Parks Shop

Unread post by Yoda » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:15 pm

I agree with Stark. If you go to any of the tourist places in the UK, and particularly in London, you will pay more than the norm.

Took my kids to one of the museums in town this past weekend and my 4 year old wanted crisps. So I could either go to the museum shop and pay almost double for the crisps. Or I could leave and wander around and look for somewhere cheaper. The saying in Afrikaans "k*k en betaal" comes to mind. :tongue:

Mafuta B
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mafuta B » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:58 pm

Hehehe I guess its a law of suply and demand.

We have mastered the art of packing what we need outside and REALLY just topping up on drinks etc in the park.

GOLDEN RULE: AVOID AS FAR AS POSSIBLE: Clothing, electrical equipment, batteries, binoculars, cameras & equipment, camping equipment and those types of things because then you will pay... and pay heavy...

The food is expensive but it's not horribly outragous. Perhaps meat may be but we never buy in the park anyway.
At the end of it all you don't want to go into the grave peacefully and quietly in well preserved body... You want to go sort off skidding in sideways, full of bruises and scratches saying: "Man what a ride!!!"

Sundowner

Unread post by Sundowner » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:46 pm

I made the 2 best investments ever and closed my eyes and just paid for what turned out the best 2 things for me in the Park since sliced bread. I bought an ice-maker and a "plug in" coolerbag that uses the cigarette lighter power. If you look at the ammount of ice bought in a week whilst being in the Park, you'll be surprised how much it cost to keep all your goods cold when camping with cooler boxes. The ice maker already paid for itself by the money saved from bying ice the whole time.

The electric cooler bag keeps everything nice and cold (and within reach without having to stop and get it from the boot or back of the bakkie) whilst driving in the Kruger. Nothing more unpleasant than drinks going warm for me. With this cooler bag I can bring all my meat and drinks bought from outside the park and unpack everything in the camp fridge when at your chalet etc.

We have to start reverse the old saying and change it to "if you can't join them, beat them!" I can't afford paying those high prices and I had to beat them at their own game to make it still affordable for me to visit the Kruger frequently.

My 2 cents...
Live for today, because today is the 'tomorrow' we dreamed about yesterday..

1 Dec: Lower Sabie
2 Dec: Lower Sabie
3 Dec: Malelane
4 Dec: Malelane

wacktazz
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wacktazz » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:28 am

The Park's Shops, is run like any other business. I understand the sentiments regarding high prices, as I live here and I have to pay the high prices for food stuffs on a daily basis. Just my 2 cents worth:
The shops and restaurants in Kruger pay a huge percentage off turnover over to SANParks as their rental. On top off that, housing is provided to each and every staff member, which, is included in their package. Then the normal overheads occurs.
Because of logistics, most of the groceries comes from one mainstream supplier- in Jhb- obviously they are more expensive, because of travelling, etc. Ive said somewhere that its is cheaper to buy ciggies in the local PnP in Hazyview than at the particular wholesaler.
Other wholesalers simply arent interested in the park.
Now add on that there is a captive audience, eg there is a limit on the number of feet passing through.

Now lets make the maths:
Items are bought in at a premium
Rent is high-
Staff accomodations needs to be paid- once again- high.
Electricity needs to be paid- standard at any business, but a premium is put up in the park.
Staff needs to be transported back to their accomodation at closing times- at a cost to the company.

Yes, curious is over priced, but the mark up on food stuffs is in comparrison with other retailers. Sounds redicoulous, but its true.
If you look at the SANParks year end report, and look under PPP, you will find that the park shops has brought in millions over the past year- thats their rent

So its sad on the one side, but good for conservation on the other
It's nice to be a person. You must just be a nice person!
www.facebook.com/wacktazz

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:20 am

We have found the Parks shop in Lower-Sabie during our recent visit to be well stocked, clean and the attendants friendly. The three Parks shops that made an impression on us were the aforementioned, the one in Skukuza and the Letaba shop.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:57 pm

Perks. wrote:But it seems the prices of locally available stuff has stabilised, to the extent that it's much of a muchness, buying it outside the park, or in camp. Stuff like milk, bread, meat, Amarula. Sure, it's not as cheap as shopping around in Gauteng, but at least I didn't feel thoroughly violated every time we went in.

:thumbs_up: Perks .
We take most of what we would need (and this is very basic :D ) with us and what we did leave behind, never left us feeling violated if/when we needed to buy in the park/camps.
We don't buy curios or momentos though...

edit : I do/did find fresh veggies rather expensive.
aquila non capit muscas

threedogs
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Products available in Kruger NP shops?

Unread post by threedogs » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:49 am

It seems that each shop has a slightly different compliment of groceries - obviously the larger camps have a better range. Generally they have some 'fresh' veg and fruit, meat, cheese, milk, bread, rolls, biscuits, alcohol, fizzy drinks, juice, condiments, some tinned food and packet mixes for flavourings, sauces etc, rusks, biltong, cereals, confectionery etc etc. Then there is a large range of other items (non-grocery) and souvenirs, books etc.
Many people prefer to do their main stock up outside the park (prices are cheaper, better range) and then just buy top up items, milk etc in the park as you go.
NO TO TRADE IN RHINO HORN!

Albert
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Albert » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:58 am

honeybee79 wrote:Hi
We are planning a trip to KNP in July.
What kind of groceries are commonly for sale on the shops (Punda Maria, Letaba, Skukuza etc) inside the park?

Regards
Mel

The important stuff....wood, beer. The rest is irrelevant 8)

And what 3dogs said. Availability will vary, fresh bread will generally disappear from the shelves quite quickly. We also tend to stock up on certain items when we get there (there are good places to buy things close to most gates). Like yourself, I travel from the Cape every time I go there, so it is sometimes a mission to transport fresh produce. I do, however, have my butcher vacuum pack the meat I want to take. I freeze the meat, wrap it in newspaper, and pack in a cooler box with some "cold bricks". Even after 2-3 days the meat is still mostly frozen, or at least very cold.
Searching for a Cape Eagle Owl....

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:29 pm

Mel, do not rely on getting much at Punda shop. Letaba and Skukuza are far bigger shops and stock more. Mopani also has a nice shop, and we have found it to have the best fresh produce. BUT I think it depends if you strike it lucky and go to the shop on a delivery day.

Even with items like cheese, at times I have only be able to buy processed sliced cheese. Last time I was in Skukuza, I bought the last bag of tomatoes ... and they were not too great.

You will not starve if you have to rely on the park's shops, but if you are going to self cater, rather buy before you enter the park as suggested here.
Sawubona
Dalene

honeybee79

Unread post by honeybee79 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:31 pm

Thanks everyone!
Useful info!

Regarding meat - is there a good variety or only braai chops and boerewors? Can one get something like chicken fillets?

We will be in the park for 2 weeks so we will have to buy some groceries there.
Do you know if these specific items are available?
Canned tomatoes?
Ham?
Margarine?
Onions?
Potatoes?
Fruit?
Fruit juice?

Thanks

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:27 pm

Honeybee, you should be able to get most of the things on your list at the bigger camps, as has been said.
but do check the expiry date carefully on any meat products before buying.

We found Skukuza in particular had a good variety of foodstuffs on the shelves during our recent trip.
Of course you will pay more than outside the park but its the convenience.
Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

Toddy

Unread post by Toddy » Tue May 01, 2012 4:41 pm

Although we buy most of our food and things outside the park I like nothing better than browsing in the shops, particularly the books and curios etc. Don't normally buy much but do find that they always stock items that I generally wouldn't find in the UK or wasn't aware off. On the whole we use them for luxurys as opposed to necessities although I did have to buy a torch when I was there in December as we had forgotten to bring one with us. The batteries cost twice as much as the torch though. :shock:

13-16 April - Satara
16-19 April - Biyamiti
19-22 April - Lower Sabie

Can't Wait !!!

kujo

Unread post by kujo » Wed May 02, 2012 2:59 pm

Only bought breadrolls and milk while in the park recently...

bert

Unread post by bert » Wed May 30, 2012 12:23 pm

Not all the meat is great but we did enjoy the blou wildebeest boerewors and steak

MOGGYMINDER

On Line shopping from the park shops

Unread post by MOGGYMINDER » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:08 am

Hi All, I was wondering if the park shops will ever start taking orders on line for goods, is there any plan for this ? I particularly mean items such as clothing etc ?

Return to “Kruger National Park”