RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Re: How many Kruger visits?

Unread post by RosemaryH » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:48 pm

In the last 7300 days we have done 26 trips to Kruger
11 days - as day visitors from surrounding lodges.
88 nights in Kruger.
99 days spent in Kruger (clutching at straws here, I count the last day of our trips as days days spent in Kruger)
Longest stay 8 nights and shortest 1night.

I've got some serious catching up to do here :roll: :lol:
Rose

Radman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Location: Not to far to drive bet yet to close to fly. Roodepoort

Unread post by Radman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:03 pm

Scips and EJ not fair to reply to a post like this :think: I think Im going to get sick now..... :mrgreen:

Well for me been to KNP 7 times
Travel Report 08 June-25June2012 Pretoriuskop-Letaba

viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=62809

Toddy

Unread post by Toddy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:38 pm

My first visit was with school in 1982. Then didn't go again until 1994 but have been about 20 times in total including a Christmas in Shingwedzi and a New Years eve in Balule. Also managed to catch the total eclipse at Red Rocks which was amazing, remember driving through the night to get to the park in the very early hours of that morning.

Longest visit was in November 2003 when we camped for 28 days just before moving to the UK, started in Skukuza with the Metsi Metsi trail and then camped at every single camping ground in the park. Was rather warm in a tent though especially up North.

13-16 April - Satara
16-19 April - Biyamiti
19-22 April - Lower Sabie

Can't Wait !!!

Delene D
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Delene D » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:39 pm

I remember our first trip to Kruger.
A Group of us from the CCSA Border Region decided on a trip to Eastern Transvaal as it was then (1986) and our tour leader asked if we should spend a week in Kruger.
My SO and a few others decided 3 days was long enough - why would anyone want to spend a week there watching animals?
We arrived and stayed at Lower Sabie 2 nights and Letaba 1 night and the others wondered why they didn't agree to a week.
Well the Kruger bug bit and hard.
We cannot get there as often as we like - we are now pensioners and the fuel bill is heavy towing a caravan from East London, but every opportunity we can get there we do.
In 1994 was our second visit 9 the first time without our kids - they had flown the coop.
That was 12 nights with friends in 2 other vans. Berg n Dal, Satara, Shingwedzi and Letaba.
In 2001 we went with caravan again and two other vans of friends. Skukuza, Satara, Shingwedzi and Letaba again for 12 nights, 3 at each camp.
Then I saved as much as I could and my SO and I went for 6 weeks (42 nights)
That was our best visit because we had only ourselves to worry about with regards to food, sightings etc.
As I recall we spent 5 nights at Satara,
5 at Shingwedzi, 5 at Letaba (Our son and family joined us at Shingwedzi and Letaba from Joburg) then back to Satara for 5 nights, Berg n dal for 5 nights, Pretoriuskop 9 nights, Skukuza 5 days and Crocodile Bridge for 3 nights.
That trip was so precious to us - we saw a Zebra being killed at Gudzani East WH by a lioness, a Waterbuck almost taken by a lioness at Nsemani dam.
So many lions over the 6 weeks, only 3 Leopards in trees.
We met the legendary "Martie" of blog fame on our first day at Satara, and she cooked us a wonderful meal on the open fire at P Kop. Those memories are with me forever.
Last year close friends asked us to travel with them for 22 nights in Kruger. Punda Maria (How I loved that camp)3 nights, Shingwedzi (5) Where we met Billyf , Letaba (6), Skukuza (5) and Croc Bridge (3 nights).
Of all the times I have been to Kruger I preferred August and September as good sighting months.
Winter time the park is dry - animals come to the dams and waterholes and you can see far into the bush. Last year we were there in May/June.
The bush was green and lush and animals could not be spotted so easily.
But I would go there again despite all the potholes and bad roads we had to travel to get there.

bigbuf

Unread post by bigbuf » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:31 pm

ecojunkie wrote::hmz: 365 days.....last year that is...... (sorry - could not resist!)

:lol: Ecojunkie.......... As soon as I saw this topic I knew you would make everyone look a bit sick, top class ! :clap:

As for me, about 210 days in all over 37 years. See what I mean about looking rather sick compared with yours, Ecojunkie. :mrgreen:
"Kruger is King"
"Say no to hotels in KNP"

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by okie » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:33 pm

Eight visits the 4 years , another 5 visits in the previous 6 years , plus about 4 prior to that going back to 1969/1970 . All in all about 120 days in total .
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

flying cheetah
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by flying cheetah » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Had my first Kruger trip in 2006 with 3 nights, the second one in 2008 with 5 nights..now I had 8 visits with altogether 137 nights in Kruger :dance: I wonder if I ever get rid of this drug...
Akukho nyon' endiz' ingahlali phansi. (Zulu)
There is not a bird that flies and never sits down.

Daffy

Unread post by Daffy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:45 pm

Had our first visit in 2001 for 3 days and returned in 2003 for 10 days. Then from 2007 till 2012 the addiction grew to solid base. Our nineth visit was last september and gave us a total of 95 days. March 2012 is a special visit. It's the tenth time and we will hit the first century counting days. We will celebrate number 100 on the Sweni Trail. We hope for many happy returns.
KNP 2013 januari/februari
19-21 Mopani
21-23 Punda Maria
23-27 Shingwedzi
27-30 Letaba
30-04 Satara
04-08 Lower Sabie

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:05 am

I think many Kruger people after their first visit plan their next trip as soon as they leave the gates and then the planning and visiting cycle continues after that :D. I think that is the problem with Kruger once it gets into your system staying away is very difficult :? :thumbs_up: :D.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Albert
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Albert » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:37 pm

I have no idea of exactly how many trips or days....but about once a year since 1962. Some years more than once, some years were skipped. Will be there twice this year.
Latest lifers: Plain-backed Pipit, Common Buttonquail, Cutthroat Finch, Freckled Nightjar, Purple Indigobird, Dark-capped Yellow Warbler, Red-capped Robin-chat, Yellow-rumped Tinkerbird.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:50 pm

22 from 1956 to 2009

I have seen most things, but there is always something to go back for.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

kujo

Unread post by kujo » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:07 pm

PetraJ wrote:Once a year for about 42 years, and then since July 2011 every second weekend. Sometimes the weekends inbetween as well :tongue:

I think you have an addiction, but a good one at that... :mrgreen:

brogan

Unread post by brogan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:39 am

My Grandparents and a few of their friends got together and built a house in Marloth 23 years ago. I have been going there ever since i was in my mothers tummy. we started going a hell of alot around when I was 13 years old still to this day. on ave. my family and I go to kruger 3 holidays a year.

I am 22 this year, I hav e been going to kruger for 21 years in a row, and it will be 22 years come end March!!!!! :):) what makes it better is I am taking my girlfriend, who p untill we met, had only go inot Kuger once, and that was when she was still using nappies. she is slowely, getting bit by the bush, bug. the one that had to only bite me once.

leervis
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by leervis » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:24 pm

Went with my parents as a child but the first real trip with my family was to Skukuza in February 1980, 40th birthday and I wanted a quiet one with just wife and kids. Since then we have done 84 sleep over trips with an average stay of 4 nights I think. We are there again in April, 7 nights, can't wait, and then again in September. We have been lucky enough to have stayed in almost all of the camps, only Tambuti, Balule and the new rustic camp South of Mopani have not been visited. We stayed at Jock quite often and N'wanetsi before they became luxury lodges. I remember paying R300.00 a night for Jock at one time! Only found out that there were birds in Kruger in about 1990 and I am very grateful we did. Been with big groups, small groups but now my wife and I do at least one trip a year on our own, and try and get our daughter and son in law to do one trip as well. Best trip.....every single one.
13 - 16 January '17 Punda Maria
17 - 19 January '17 Balule

18 - 23 May '17 Balule

1 - 2 Oct '17 Satara
3 - 5 Oct '17 Pretoriuskop

normana53
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by normana53 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:31 pm

We can't get to Kruger as often as we would like, since our visits involve around 30 hours of flying time just to get to Jo'Berg. In the past 3 years we have spent a total of 21 days in Kruger. Our first visit was 8 days, and our last was 13. We are booked for 14 more this coming October, and cannot wait to be back.
Dreaming of our next SANParks adventure
Do Justice, Love Kindness and Walk Humbly

Return to “Kruger National Park”