Skip to Content

Leopard

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks
Dan

Re: Leopard

Unread post by Dan » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:26 am

Hi VVV and ggreensill

I might be wrong but I presume the pattern of the spots on his forehead just above the nose would be used as ID. Each leopards differ, and his is quite obvious, almast looking like a exstra pair of eyes between the eyes? So wonderful to know where he came from VVV, it makes it even more special as a sighting! :cam:

ggreensill

Unread post by ggreensill » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:25 pm

Dan and Vlakvarkvrou. You can use any of the facial spot patterns to identify leopards as they are all unique in some way or form. A lot of people use the spot pattern above the whiskers to identify individuals in a certain area. This young male has a very unique pattern above and below his right eye that makes it easy to identify him.
Was very glad when I saw your post as he suddenly disappeared and we all feared the worst. Will be an amazing leopard to view in Kruger due to his relaxed nature.
I remember following him through the Sand River one morning until I got stuck. When he had moved off I got out the vehicle to find that I had bottomed out. While attempting to dig away some of the Sand under the vehicle I noticed the leopard return. He sat on top of the bank and watched me for about 15 minutes before he finally lost interest and moved off again. He was probably no more than 15-20 meters away.
Onewithnature. I hope you have a wonderful trip blessed with many fabulous sightings. Even though I guided in the Sabi Sands for two years and still spend at least a wekk or more there a month at present I still love Kruger and try to go at least one a year.
Just another tough day in Africa!!!

leopard74
Location: Physical Address: Vereeniging Gauteng, Wannabe Address: Kruger Park

Re: Skukuza Sightings

Unread post by leopard74 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:55 pm

This was taken December near the transport Dam turnoff, He was so close to the car that I almost couldn't fit his face into the picture. You'll see my car's door frame in the one pic. :D . Roughly about 200m prior to the leopard sighting, Wild Dogs were resting under trees next to the road, couldn't get nice pics though. The next day there were cheetah sightings and Lion sightings in the same area. So yes, if you're going to Skukuza be sure to visit Transport Dam area. The Lions in my pictures was taken on Maroela Loop, I never miss Maroela loop when going to Skukuza, We've seen brilliant Lion & Wild Dog sightings on this loop.

Last edited by leopard74 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malelane 2 - 4 Jan 2013

When in doubt, stop and look again.

Nico
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Nico » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:25 am

Kgalagadi Grootkolk July 2011. Bad luck, Leopard hunt. :wink:

adw
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by adw » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:12 pm

During my November trip to Satara I came across this magnificent male leopard marking / patrolling his territory. His coat was in pristine condition and I have seen this leopard on a previous trip. He was photographed on the H1-3 near the S86 intersection.

I was lucky enough to have him all to myself for 10 minutes before he disappeared into the Nwaswisontso riverbed.
Rhino Poaching - Highlight's man's stupidity and greediness.

Dan

Unread post by Dan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:25 am

Hi ADW!

That really is a fantastic looking leopard, a real big boy, and that walk is oozing power! 8) :thumbs_up: We also saw big male last year on the S100, which was very relaxed, marking his territory, rolling around in the grass, posing left, right, and centre. I wonder if it could be the same one, but there is a few of these guys up at Satara. Will have to compare pics... :hmz: Great pics so by the way! :cam:

flying cheetah
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by flying cheetah » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:57 pm

Some pics of a wonderful leopard sighting on the S114 this November:

Akukho nyon' endiz' ingahlali phansi. (Zulu)
There is not a bird that flies and never sits down.

Tom124
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tom124 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:56 am

Not strictly a SANParks sighting, but please forgive me mods as I just had to share this sighting with fellow nature-lovers. The link is to a photo taken by a friend on the same drive as me, but an infinitely better photographer. Allow me to set the scene.

A relatively quiet drive with general game (we missed a wild dog den by a matter of feet apparently) was interrupted by the alarm call of a vervet monkey. A brief foray located two beautiful leopards, male and female, with the female hiding a cub in the grass. The male was typical of his gender -
1. Full of testosterone, but having his advances ignored by his lady-friend
2. Overly protective of his freshly killed meal (kudu ewe)
3. Far too lazy for proper eating protocol (he dumped it at the bottom of a tree)

This guy was on the edge. And this is what happened....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maccattack2/6030673936/

He did this twice.

Just look at those eyes.
Back from beautiful Botswana - a long time to wait, but KNP and KTP planned for 2016!

flying cheetah
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by flying cheetah » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:39 pm

That's a great pic Tom :dance: Those eyes really look not too friendly :roll:

africawildlife.nl

Unread post by africawildlife.nl » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:27 pm

On one of our game drives in Pilanesberg NP we found a beautiful male leopard hunting an impala. It took almost half an hour for the leopard to get close to the impala. And we were there just watching this beautiful cat. Take some time to see this video and please comment! I would appreciate...

27 april - 2 may 2013: South of Kruger (Marloth Park & Skukuza)
2-6 may: Timbavati GR
8-10 may: Madikwe GR

flying cheetah
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by flying cheetah » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:49 pm

Stunning video and what a exciting sighting :clap: :clap:
I think this happens quite often in a leopards life...

bushchild

Re: Satara Sightings

Unread post by bushchild » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:24 am

[url][/url]ImageAnd this is my trophy shot for the Satara area also on the S100
1st sept Croc bridge
2nd -7th Satara
7th-12th Berg en Dal

Siobain
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Siobain » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:02 am

He is rich or poor according to what he is, not according to what he has. ~Henry Ward Beecher

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:54 am

Here are a few memories of our stay in Phalaborwa at the end of last year.

Siobain
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Siobain » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:38 pm

Radman wrote:Siobain what a terrific photo you can just see he was not a happy chappy at that moment very well captured :clap: :clap:

Thanks Radman, this was actually one of the best sightings I have ever seen in the Park, this is actually a female leopard, she was with another female and a male leopard.

What made this so amazing is that the male leopard would mate with the one female, then the female on the rock would get off and he would mate with her as well. We were stunned to see this, as I have never heard of a male taking on two females during the same mating period, I wondered if the second female was the daughter as she was a lot younger, as the older female would hiss at her (as seen in the photo), but not fight with her. Needless to say, the male looked grumpy and tired.

It was very difficult to get a photo with all three of them, I have one but it's not a great shot, I'll add it later.
He is rich or poor according to what he is, not according to what he has. ~Henry Ward Beecher

Return to “Mammals”