Skip to Content

Kgalagadi roads

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Blackie

Re: Tyre pressure in kgalagadi?????

Unread post by Blackie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Switchback wrote:Juanita,

After just returning from KTP now, I would recommend your tyre pressures on 1.2 bar for the gravel roads as well. Even with a heavy laden vehicle, you still drive at slow speeds thus tyre de-beading will not be an issue. You will have a so much more comfy drive on the roads with your tyre pressures really low down without any worries. :thumbs_up:

I can vouch for this as well. During our trip last May, I first deflated to the recommended 1.5 bar but still found the trip uncomfortable, then deflated to 1.2 bar and a huge improvement! That was on a Colt Double Cab fully loaded.
March/April 2013: Frontier Parks here we come!

Bekke

Re: Kgalagadi roads

Unread post by Bekke » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Sure, the pre-facelift Triton (only a joker could have included the word "ton" in that bakkie...).
1.2 bar seems a bit flat for heavy-loaded cars - I would rather have a slightly uncomfortable ride than a tyre that came off the rim. In the dunes 1.2 makes sense (lots of sand), but on the hard Mata Mata corrugations one must be carefull...

Blackie

Unread post by Blackie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:57 pm

During my last KTP trip I covered almost 2000 kms in the park on all the roads - TR to MM, MM to TR, TR to Nossob, Nossob to MM etc including the dune roads at 1.2 bar - sometimes loaded other times not.

I never had an issue with debeading, nor any flats - driving style goes far to prevent this!
March/April 2013: Frontier Parks here we come!

WWalker

Unread post by WWalker » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:39 am

It is important to always keep in mind that heat is the tyre's number-one enemy.

A tyre the size of your average 4X4 rotates about 440 time per kilometer. Each time a tyre rotates, the sidewall flexes about thirty to forty times. A tyre sidewall, like a piece of wire that gets bent back-and-forth builds up heat - and like that piece of wire - will break if it gets too hot.

The sidewall of a tyre is designed to flex - at its optimum inflation pressure - and the heat generated by this flexing is known to the designers and is "catered" for. When a tyre is deflated, it is flexing beyond its design and excess heat is generated. The solution to this is to reduce speed and distance travelled. The more you reduce the pressure - the more you reduce your speed and distance travelled.

I do not know of any tyre manufacturer who recommends below 100kPa (1 BAR), and certainly not for any sustained period and not faster than 25kph.

I am fully aware of the ongoing discussion on this forum regarding tyre inflation pressures and road corrugations. I have previously offered some information on this topic and do not wish to comment further on some of the "theories" on offer here.

This is simply a cautionary note to weigh up short-term comfort vs. long-term damage to tyres. The problem is that the damage that can be caused in this way is not obviously apparent because it is internal.

Tread-separations, internal damage of the tubeless inner-liner and subsequent failure are the types of heat-related problems that could be experienced. Simply put, at a high enough temperature, rubber breaks down. Not to mention damage to the increasingly exposed sidewall caused by sharp objects.

When you take into account the prevailing ambient temperatures that can be experienced in the
Kgalgadi it makes these facts even more thought provoking. Of course, increased load affects the sidewall profile of the tyre in exactly the same way that under-inflation does. In other words, if you are carrying a load, do not deflate to the same pressure as when there is no load.

enrico

Unread post by enrico » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:08 pm

Having driven the road between Twee Rivieren and Kij Kij a number of times over the past two weeks,via the Botswana road,I would like to ask the folowing question.
Why have two roads that appear to run about 50 metres apart?

The road on the South African side is significantly lower than the one in Botswana and will be more affected by heavy rain.
There still appears to my untrained eye,to be a lot of work to be done before the RSA road can be put into service.
Can the Botswana road not be upgraded to the same standard as the other roads in KTP and let the bush reclaim/rehabilitate the South African road?

KTP is after all a transfrontier park,sharing the animals.
Why not share a road?

Kgalagadi Guru
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Kgalagadi Guru » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:02 am

Hi there Enrico,

The S.A. road to Kij Kij is the main tourist road with the Botswana track being the responsibility of the Botswana wildlife department to upkeep in good condition. If a decision was ever made to rehabilitate one of the roads it would be the Botswana road as it would rehabilitate much faster.

Unfortunately the S.A. wildlife department has no say over the Botswana roads and the two track will be in use for a long time still to come.

With the new contractors busy on the S.A. road, they are working at quite a speed to finish the road, even with the Botswana road being slightly higher the S.A. road would be more stable and would not wash away during the rainy season as what currently the problem is with the Botswana two track.
Head: Field Guiding
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
jan.kriel@sanparks.org

coens

Unread post by coens » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:18 pm

Is it possible to travel to Urikaruus with a 4x2?

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by p@m » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:28 pm

Is it possible to travel to Urikaruus with a 4x2?

Absolutely no problem :thumbs_up:

Munchkin
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Munchkin » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:31 pm

@ Coens - Urikaruus - no problem - even if driving a sedan. :thumbs_up:

*edit - I see P@m has already replied. :D
(Munchkin = Our Persian Cat - Sadly Munchie no longer with us.)

ROOKIE-LR

What are the Dune Roads?

Unread post by ROOKIE-LR » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:37 pm

Hello all, and apolgies for what could be a silly question.

I am preparing for my first trip to the Kgalagadi, (9 sleeps till my arrival in Twee Rivieren - you might say I am a mite excited about the prospect :dance: ).

When reading trip reports and other posts, mention is made of upper and lower dune roads and I can't quite figure what is being refered to when I look at the map of the park.

Are they the roads that run between Kamqua - Dikbaardskolk (upper) and Auchterlonie - Kij Kij (lower)?

Thanks all
Paul.

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: What are the Dune Roads?

Unread post by arks » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:39 pm

ROOKIE-LR wrote:Are they the roads that run between Kamqua - Dikbaardskolk (upper) and Auchterlonie - Kij Kij (lower)?

Yip, that's correct Rookie-LR :) Welcome and have a great trip!
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town
21 September-21 November Darling

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by p@m » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Hello aidan
If anyone knows the Bitterpan road, let me know.

We have driven the Bitterpan road.

Part of the info for the camp reads
It is strictly a 4x4 route, but BIG 4x4’s such as Unimogs (heavy vehicle 4x4) are not allowed.

see : http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kgalagadi/tourism/accommodation.php#wilderness
Another quote
Guests should consider staying at Nossob before their departure for Bitterpan, as it is an approximately 3 hours drive from Nossob along a one-way 4x4 route.

We used low range I think twice on our way from Nossob to Bitterpan, (road was badly "dug out" on some dunes)
should possibly have used it once on the Morevet route as there was a very bad patch where vehicles had obviously got bogged down in wet weather, and we used it on the Bitterpan to Craig Lockhart route -- mainly to pull another vehicle out.

So yes, I do think a 4X4 is necessary for Bitterpan :lol:

WWalker

Unread post by WWalker » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:36 pm

aidan3333 wrote:Thanks for the interest. It is a 4Motion model which means it does have 4 wheel drive but does not have low range or anything like that. It has about 200mm ground clearance. Fortuner has 220 mm.

The road in to Gharagab is pretty straightforward. On the way out there a few dunes that might be tricky for someone not accustomed to sand driving.

We went in a vehicle that has the same ground clearance but does have low range - nice insurance!

The answer is: if you know how to drive in sand, you should be ok.

William

DSouter

SHORTCUT FROM NOSSOB TO MATA MATA

Unread post by DSouter » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:27 pm

I am going to KTP for the first time in September and booked time at Nossob & Mata Mata (SO loves Giraffes) to get from one to the other I thought you had to drive from Nossob back to TR and then up to Mata Mata which is a long drive and a petrol gussler (V8 Defender).

I see that there is a road via Bitterpan but am led to believe that you have to spend 1 night at Bitterpan in order to use it. Any reason why - with the petrol price it would be very kind if SAN Parks would let it be used to get to Mata Mata as long as you have a booking there.

Anyone fill me in on the proper situation? :lol:

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: SHORTCUT FROM NOSSOB TO MATA MATA

Unread post by p@m » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Hello DSouter
to get from one to the other I thought you had to drive from Nossob back to TR and then up to Mata Mata which is a long drive and a petrol gussler (V8 Defender).

Forunately not :lol: The easiest way from Nossob to MataMata is down to Dikbaardskolk, then over the upper dune road to Kamqua and then to MataMata.

I see that there is a road via Bitterpan but am led to believe that you have to spend 1 night at Bitterpan in order to use it. Any reason why -

Yes -- it is a wilderness camp and the roads to/from wilderness camps (and the camps themselves) are for residents only :lol:

But do yourself a favour and spend a night at Bitterpan -- had a couple of brown hyena sightings there ....

Have a great trip :thumbs_up:

Return to “Arid Parks”