Skip to Content

Accommodation info for Storms River Mouth Camp?

Knysna, Tsitsikamma, Wilderness
ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Ground Floor Oceanette

Unread post by ndloti » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:11 am

The corner ground floor unit to the far end closest to the start of the trail is apparently the best one of all .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Tsitsikamma chalets

Unread post by arks » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:35 pm

Is there a map of Storms River which includes what TYPE of chalets are in each area/location? The map on the website only gives unit numbers, but NO indication of what sorts they are. :wall: And there's not even any units or numbers shown for the Oceanettes? :wall: Does anyone have a better map that this? I'd like to visit, but coming from so far, I really need a clearer idea of the location of the various types of chalets?

Ideally I'd like to be close to the sea and as private as possible. From the website's map, #17, 16A and 16B look like a location I'd like, but I haven't a clue what sort of chalets these are. :wall:
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town
21 September-21 November Darling

HoepHoep
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by HoepHoep » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:02 am

Hi Arks

The best map is this one:

http://www.sanparks.org/assets/images/p ... layout.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The older maps actually show the different Oceanettes. I believe I still have a hard copy at home and can surely help you more.

Honeymooncottage is 17, 16A and 16B

The honeymooncottage are tops: no doubt, even more so if you look for privacy: Have a look at this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=40351" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the next thread there is one of my photo's that show units 10, 9, 8B and closest to the viewpoint 8A. Also very close to the sea, but less privacy.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=32052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can also google the park - there is also streetview.

Hope this help.

Please let me know if I can help more, I know the park quite well.

We have stayed in the Oceanettes 3 times and will hopefully return soon. The large Oceanettes are the two at the end of the complex and both have outside patios with a braai. Both have splendid views, but the one closest to the start of the Otter trail is without doubt the best accommodation in the park! (Oceannette No N - phone the park after you have booked and twist their arm to ensure that you get N and not G).

Hoephoep
The Creator is bigger than His creation!

My latest trip report to Addo during June 2009:
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34300

HoepHoep
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by HoepHoep » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:39 pm

Hi Arks

Easy question.

This view:

This in the morning:

This in the afternoon:

Not taken from the stoep, but it could have been. This is the start of the famous Otter Route.

Unit on the far left on this photo:

Dolphins in front of the Oceanettes:

Do you still need convincing to visit the most beautifull place on planet earth?

Groete (greeting)
Last edited by HoepHoep on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:42 pm

Thanks, HH, gorgeous pix. Is G then just lower down? Or .... (Because of course I might not be able to get N if someone else has already requested it :whistle: )
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town
21 September-21 November Darling

HoepHoep
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by HoepHoep » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Hi Arks

The other unit is on the other end of the building - unfortunately not on the above photo.
It is convenient on ground level with grass and a braai at the front door, but then I would rather take one of the other units on a higher level which offer a better view of the waves and ocean.

Groete

GladWyer

Family Cottages at Storms River

Unread post by GladWyer » Thu May 26, 2011 11:27 pm

Hi,
Im travelling in a party of 4, hubby and me, my twin sister and 22 yr old son...so its a bit of an odd party as it looks like most of our travels are going to be in 2 twin beds, son and father plus me and twin in another.
Im looking to come for 2 nights, it looks like the only ones available for 15 and 16 Nov are honeymoon cottages, family cottages and one CH2S.

If there were two Chalet 2bd s-d I would book them, but there's only 1!

So it looks like the family cottages for us, as otherwise its a honeymoon one for me and my twin, and the CH2s for my son and hubby.

The thing Im after is a direct sea view, but it looks like the family cottages have the caravans in front of them and are position 22-33 on new map?

http://www.sanparks.org/assets/images/p ... layout.jpg

help!!! any advice?

Many thanks, glad

Micetta
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Family Cottages at Storms River

Unread post by Micetta » Fri May 27, 2011 3:28 am

Hi GladWyer and welcome to the forum!!

The honeymoon cottages have a double bed, not two single beds.

If the family cottages have the camping in front and I would not take any of these, if possible. I was there in January.

Actually I see no other choice than "honeymoon one for me and my twin, and the CH2s for my son and hubby." and then continue to keep the reservations under control and another CH2 migh turn up. Very often when the payments are due some peole do not pay and the accomodation returns on the "market"

The best ones are 6-5-4B-4A-3B-3A. # 1 and 2 are too close to the parking and then there are the three honeymoon ones that are quite new 16A - 16B and 17. # 11 is very nice, but I do not know what kind it is. probaly another CH-2S.

Sorry not to be able to help you. The above mentioned have the advantage too, that they are close to the shop, restaurant and beach.

It is a beautiful place and I hope that you will enjoy it. Here you can find our 3 days at Storms river mouth :wink:

Munchkin
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Munchkin » Tue May 31, 2011 10:01 pm

GladWyer - when you stay in the family cottages, you actually have somewhat of an elevated view of the camping area, so it is not like you have the campers blocking your view! We stayed in Chalet no 31 and had a most fantastic view............okay, we had to climb 31 steps to reach our chalet.......but that's all good excercise.........! There is no bad accommodation at Storms River..........Our Opinion!
(Munchkin = Our Persian Cat - Sadly Munchie no longer with us.)

Munchkin
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Munchkin » Tue May 31, 2011 10:15 pm

Just to add, we were two couples and we shared a family cottage. Our view was spectacular. And we had the most incredible time. I would not hesitate to reccommend this accommodation to others.
(Munchkin = Our Persian Cat - Sadly Munchie no longer with us.)

andre w

Unread post by andre w » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:03 am

Hi Gladwyer,
Don't wish to throw a spanner in the works and I agree that all views are just GREAT - BUT -
We - the wife and I - stayed in one of the family cottages on 1 May 2011 - just a month ago and I must say we prefer the ones you have booked - we know them both. The reason why we prefer it? - at the moment there are building activities going on right in front of the family cottage views - not fully obstructing the view but not nice nevertheless.
They're building some retaining wall (don't know what's the correct word) at the watersedge and that spoiled the view and atmosphere for us - I'm pretty sure that it will be going on for still some time.
We've also used the 2bd chalets a number of times - will be using it again in July and (DV) also one of the honeymoon chalets in Oct 2011 - and even without building activities in front of the Family cottages, we'd always prefer the 2bd's or honeymoon ones - the placing of the honeymoon ones are just unbeatable - so, IMHO I think you should keep your booking as is.
Regards
Andrè

gqueen

Storm's River lodging help.

Unread post by gqueen » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:48 pm

Hi,

We are planning a trip and trying to decode the Storms River map and Accommodation types.

What is the difference between a Chalet, a chalet-pens and a chalet s-d?

On the map what are the numbers for these types? Are any better than others?

Also on the map what does the B&A stand for in units13-15?

It's amazing that this has been addressed before, but they still haven't put a better map up.

Thanks for the help.

George
George

Micetta
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Storm's River lodging help.

Unread post by Micetta » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:43 pm

Hi gqueen,

What I can tell you is that the numbers 16 aand b and 17 are the 2Honeymoon" cottages. The are new, have a wonderful position, right on the sea . They all have a double bed.

If you want twin beds go for 4, 5 and six (CH-2S I think). Also 11 has a great position, but I do not know how it is inside or what it is.

4, 5, 6 etc. are chalets s-d as far as I remember. they are open space and nice. We stayed in no, 4 in january. 1, 2 and 3 are too close to the parking.

Avoid 15, 14 and 15 as they are humid and need refurbishing.

Go for or the honeymoon cottages or the CH-2S or CH-4S)

You can find more info here!

zivvy&muffin

Unread post by zivvy&muffin » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:19 pm

The accommodation booking pages shows there are FIVE HC2 cottages. I know 16A, 16B and 17 are three, but which are the other two?

We have been three times to Storms River during coastal trips (hard to drag us from KNP :lol: ), but only during the day. We wish so much to stay over, right on the ocean.
If we can be sure all 5 HC2 cottages are ocean-side then its wonderful and we don't need to worry which one we get.

Liora

Unread post by Liora » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:12 pm

Hi,

We have been to Storms River quite often and all the chalets face the sea, some on the other side of the road but facing the sea.

Have a great time there!

Liora

Return to “Garden Route Parks”