Skip to Content

My Wildlife Photography - Criticism & Advice Needed!!

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
RUMURUTI
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Photos for Criticism

Unread post by RUMURUTI » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:42 pm

forestgump, one of my favourites when it gets to pics that give a real sense of the African bush.
Well done!
"You can leave Africa but Africa never leaves you"
LIFE IS MADE OF GOOD AND BAD THINGS, I TAKE THE GOOD AND YOU CAN KEEP THE BAD!!!
Andy Benaglia

Massimo

Unread post by Massimo » Sun May 01, 2011 3:55 pm

Taken on my last trip in KNP :thumbs_up:

Enjoy
Canon 5D MK III :) :), Canon 7D , Canon 450D | Canon 400 F5.6 L | Canon 70-200 F2.8 L IS|Sigma 10-200 EX DG OS F4-5.6 & goodies :)
Runner up wildlife photographer of the year 2012-sunday times & winner-Canon S.A. reflection category

Brunilda

Our recent visit - nesr paul kruger gate or pambeni gates

Unread post by Brunilda » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:47 pm

i took a bostload of images and will edit most only when i return to abu dhabi, but here is just one of my favorites, impalas:
Living and working as portrait photographer in Abu Dhabi,United Arab Emirates.
Blog: www.brunilda.me/~brunilda/blog/

I love me some Canon. I don't begrudge Nikon their fun, but Canon is my game.

EOS_User

Re: Our recent visit - nesr paul kruger gate or pambeni gate

Unread post by EOS_User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:48 am

Hello Brunilda;

I like that - A LOT :clap:

It's pin-sharp, and the overall colour-tones make the image with the Impala blending into their surroundings...

Just one little comment if I may... the image looks like it needs just a tweak to level it a little. Other than that - nice job...

Cheers...

PS: Can you post the EXIF data - out of interest... Thanx...

Brunilda

Unread post by Brunilda » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:26 pm

Thanks, i cant edit properly here while still on vacation, will redo edits ince back in abu dhabi. Will check the exif this evening but aas i remember i put the camera on av that day, f5.6 and i had on a 70-200 f4 with 1.4 extender. The shutter must have been pretty high. Iso i thhink was on 200.

Eos user what are you seeing specifically that i should remember to tweak? I am used to portraits of people so anmals is new to me, and definitely not much animals where i live so i cant reqlly practice.

EOS_User

Unread post by EOS_User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:08 pm

Brunilda wrote:Thanks, i cant edit properly here while still on vacation, will redo edits ince back in abu dhabi. Will check the exif this evening but aas i remember i put the camera on av that day, f5.6 and i had on a 70-200 f4 with 1.4 extender. The shutter must have been pretty high. Iso i thhink was on 200.

Eos user what are you seeing specifically that i should remember to tweak? I am used to portraits of people so anmals is new to me, and definitely not much animals where i live so i cant reqlly practice.

Hi Brunilda;

My comment really was being 'picky'... I think the image is great... It just looks to me as if they are on a bit of a slope (they may well have been), and I think it would look better with them standing level...

The 70-200 f/4L is a SUPERB lens - even with the 1.4x attached it produces great images.

Cheers...

Brunilda

Unread post by Brunilda » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:55 pm

Aha, now i get you, my mind was in photoshop mode and when i read level i thought, really how would i change levels, already tweaked the lvels on the animals...

I am a lover of straightening stuff too, will for sure do that when i am back in abu dhabi, there i have my big high resolution screen, perfectly calibrated, photoshop cs5 and something i am missing so much i am dreaming about it - my wacom tablet. I must say i am itching to get back and edit all my photos, i have tons, and i plan to make two calendars of it.

skywalker2251

Unread post by skywalker2251 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:47 am

I am entering a couple of photos in a photo contest next month, but I can't decide on the final photo to enter. Here are some I'm considering. How would you rank them? The categories I can enter are either wildlife in the wild, or action (the wild dog is the only action photo...but it could go in either category). Images are judged on technique, originality, impact, composition, and other pertinent factors.

Switchback

Unread post by Switchback » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:20 am

Morning Skywalker,

This is how I would rank them:
1: Lighting not great and subject smack bam in the middle - maybe try cropping it differently (rule of thirds is a good starting point)
2: I like, eyes could have been a bit sharper.
3: Love it, again, subject in the middle, taking a bit of background away but keeping the space to look into would work wonders. I would enter this one.
4: Great action shot but your subject is unfortunately out of focus and the lighting not that great.
5: Me 2'nd favourite. Again I would crop it that the eye is not in the middle and the dog has more space in front of him.
6: Same as previos - cropping.

All in all, I would enter nr. 3 after a bit of cropping. :thumbs_up:
KNP: 14 June: Skukuza Camping
15 -21 June: Letaba Camping

EOS_User

Unread post by EOS_User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:45 am

Hello Skywalker;

I'm largely with Switchback on the critique...

But my choice would be #2; although it needs a bit of work doing on it. It's flat (needs a 'levels' adjustment), there appears to be a colour-cast to the image (reduce blues a little, enhance reds), and it needs some sharpening-up (use unsharp mask). The blades of grass at the bottom also need cropping out. However, you will need to look at the competition rules to determine how much post-processing work is allowed!

HTH...

Good luck...

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”