Skip to Content

My Wildlife Photography - Criticism & Advice Needed!!

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
RobNZ

Re: Rob's Wildlife Photograph Thread

Unread post by RobNZ » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:21 pm

Hahaha, yes I can see why... so many birds I saw were JUST out of my lens range and with a large lens could have been amazing lol. But Im happy how alot of my photos turned out in the long run :) Oh for sure Bush, My Girlfriend and her family are from South Africa aswel :)
Where abouts were you from?

Rob

P.S: There are a few images that aren't so great but are good memories, I would like to share them as they include the secretive Leapord we saw & the rare black rhino, so here they are:

Lynni

Critique

Unread post by Lynni » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:12 pm

Hi guys, as I'm still learning everyday I would like some critique on this photo captured just outside the Malelane Gate in January 2011 (Canon EOS400D; Sigma 70-300)

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Critique

Unread post by bert » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:06 pm

Ditto
Compostion is great
Rocks in the foreground are not cut off
And the "herons" fill the image and the one flying above the tree is free

oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by oddesy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:25 pm

Lynni, I like it allot! :clap: :clap:

The egrets also add something extra :thumbs_up: Only thing i would have done different would be to give a little more space on the left to show where they are heading but definitely nothing wrong with the photo :thumbs_up:
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Robbie A

Unread post by Robbie A » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:04 pm

Can't agree about the composition being good. The ellies are moving forward and need space to move in to. The open space behind the elephants is dead space. The lead elephant's face is also obscured.
Capture the light and expose it to the world..

Lynni

Unread post by Lynni » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:33 pm

Thank you so much for all your replies and critique, it is appreciated.
Now I want to kick myself for not thinking more about the composition...ofcourse I needed to go more to the left...urgh...but this is how I learn and that is why I love this forum :)

This is where they ended up...

Switchback

Unread post by Switchback » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:06 pm

I agree that with both pictures, give the ellies more space to the left as you have a lot of "dead" space on the right. What I do like in the 2'nd picture is the diagonal line the river forms - a diagonal line is always a nice thing to have part of your composition. :thumbs_up:
KNP: 14 June: Skukuza Camping
15 -21 June: Letaba Camping

Brunilda

Our recent visit - nesr paul kruger gate or pambeni gates

Unread post by Brunilda » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:47 pm

i took a bostload of images and will edit most only when i return to abu dhabi, but here is just one of my favorites, impalas:
Living and working as portrait photographer in Abu Dhabi,United Arab Emirates.
Blog: www.brunilda.me/~brunilda/blog/

I love me some Canon. I don't begrudge Nikon their fun, but Canon is my game.

EOS_User

Re: Our recent visit - nesr paul kruger gate or pambeni gate

Unread post by EOS_User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:48 am

Hello Brunilda;

I like that - A LOT :clap:

It's pin-sharp, and the overall colour-tones make the image with the Impala blending into their surroundings...

Just one little comment if I may... the image looks like it needs just a tweak to level it a little. Other than that - nice job...

Cheers...

PS: Can you post the EXIF data - out of interest... Thanx...

Brunilda

Unread post by Brunilda » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:26 pm

Thanks, i cant edit properly here while still on vacation, will redo edits ince back in abu dhabi. Will check the exif this evening but aas i remember i put the camera on av that day, f5.6 and i had on a 70-200 f4 with 1.4 extender. The shutter must have been pretty high. Iso i thhink was on 200.

Eos user what are you seeing specifically that i should remember to tweak? I am used to portraits of people so anmals is new to me, and definitely not much animals where i live so i cant reqlly practice.

EOS_User

Unread post by EOS_User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:08 pm

Brunilda wrote:Thanks, i cant edit properly here while still on vacation, will redo edits ince back in abu dhabi. Will check the exif this evening but aas i remember i put the camera on av that day, f5.6 and i had on a 70-200 f4 with 1.4 extender. The shutter must have been pretty high. Iso i thhink was on 200.

Eos user what are you seeing specifically that i should remember to tweak? I am used to portraits of people so anmals is new to me, and definitely not much animals where i live so i cant reqlly practice.

Hi Brunilda;

My comment really was being 'picky'... I think the image is great... It just looks to me as if they are on a bit of a slope (they may well have been), and I think it would look better with them standing level...

The 70-200 f/4L is a SUPERB lens - even with the 1.4x attached it produces great images.

Cheers...

Brunilda

Unread post by Brunilda » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:55 pm

Aha, now i get you, my mind was in photoshop mode and when i read level i thought, really how would i change levels, already tweaked the lvels on the animals...

I am a lover of straightening stuff too, will for sure do that when i am back in abu dhabi, there i have my big high resolution screen, perfectly calibrated, photoshop cs5 and something i am missing so much i am dreaming about it - my wacom tablet. I must say i am itching to get back and edit all my photos, i have tons, and i plan to make two calendars of it.

Brunilda

Unread post by Brunilda » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:00 pm

Oh and eos user, dont thinki mentioned, the camera i use is the eos 5d mark ii. The reason why i shot at f5.6 is that the extender automatically moved me to it.

To get it so sharp my camera is set to af servo. I back button focus with center point then recompose. Metering is evaluative, but to compensatfor shadows i set the iso higher at times. With the 5d i hardly have any noise if i shoot lower than iso 1600, provided the focus is spot on though.

EOS_User

Unread post by EOS_User » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:34 am

Brunilda wrote:Oh and eos user, dont thinki mentioned, the camera i use is the eos 5d mark ii. The reason why i shot at f5.6 is that the extender automatically moved me to it.

To get it so sharp my camera is set to af servo. I back button focus with center point then recompose. Metering is evaluative, but to compensatfor shadows i set the iso higher at times. With the 5d i hardly have any noise if i shoot lower than iso 1600, provided the focus is spot on though.

Hello again...

f/5.6 looks to have been about right to achieve the required Depth-of-Field... Anything less and all the Impala would not have been sharp...

But a question for you... How can you 'recompose' when using AF Servo? Doesn't the Servo automatically re-focus as soon as you move the focal point?

Cheers...

PS - Abu Dhabi is on our TODO list! Been to Dubai a couple of times; now I need to get myself 'down-the-road' a bit :D

Brunilda

Unread post by Brunilda » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:39 pm

Eos user, do you know how to back button focus? Its a setting you change in your menu, then when you have a specific focus you press the af button, it then remembers what you focused on and keeps that focus, if you then move the camera, it keeps that focus, doesnt refocus at all and you press the shutter without a refocus. Works a charm. I am sure if said object all of a sudden move way out of frame it will be hell but so far so good, ive been super lucky with focus fpr my pjoto sessions since i switched to thwt method, so much so i struggle to go back to using the shutter release to focus. A bit bad when i hand over my camera to hubby that is used to focus with the shutter button, cause it doesnt work that way anymore.

Sheenae - we got new appreciation for the impala since we live in uae. In fact my kids thought the cattle they saw were buffalo, and through their eyes we saw how beautiful impala really is. They both declared impala to be their favorites.

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”