Skip to Content

Food/MenusCampfire cooking info

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: usefull alternative

Unread post by ndloti » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:07 pm

My menu is chops or sosaties , I vary it with parsley & onion / spek / cheese wors .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Perks.
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: usefull alternative

Unread post by Perks. » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:15 pm

For us Pretorianers, if you've had enough of meat and want something vegetarian, eat chicken! :twisted:

Jokes!

We seldom braai every evening, we alternate with...

- Chicken or Mince Mate - very easy to prepare, uses one pot, can be done on a Cadac or at communal kitchens
- Toasted sandwiches - we always take our sandwich toaster, it's quick, and any leftovers make great in-car snacks
- (Mentioned already) Pasta and Sauce - the All Joy sauces in jars go for around R20 and are very tasty
- Cold meats / cheese on rolls. Add some beetroot from a jar and some pickled goods, and you have a meal for a king. And being in the continental style, it doesn't leave you dik and bloated.
- Pre-cooked / pre-packaged lasagne, macaroni cheese or cottage pie - provided you know you're going to have a microwave handy
Last trip: New Years in Skuks and Satara
Next: ....................................................

DinkyBird

Re: What is on your Kruger menu?

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:30 pm

Vegetables!!
Sawubona
Dalene

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:59 pm

We braai most nights, and there is always wors on the menu with either thick juicy beef steak, texan pork steaks, sosasties, or ribs.

Some nights we go traditional with pap and sous, and sometimes we do mealies and/or baked potatoes and/or baked butternut in the fire. Although Poms, we never do salad!! :whistle:

We usually have one meal in a restaurant to ring the changes.

In December I had been reading the potjie thread so tried a "pretend" potjie, cooked on the hotplate in one of the cast iron pots provided by SANparks in the self catering units. It was lekker, even though not an authentic potjie!! Put mushrooms in the bottom of the pot as they don't ever seem to burn!!! :whistle:

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:21 am

On our first night we usually take a tub of chicken livers and marinate them for a hour or two in some wine or port, wrap bacon around them and braai them on sosatie sticks over the coals until crispy to “line the stomach” for a sundowner or two :thumbs_up:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Bomsevrou
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bomsevrou » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:03 pm

We also mostly braai and another favorite is to bake whole onions (in foil) in coals as well as sweet potato, especially the yellow ones.

On our last visit I prepared roast vegetables in tinfoil roasting tin roasted it until half done at home and then finished it off in Kruger on the coals.

For our October visit my Son and Daughter-Law will be joining us. She is now a vegetarian and I desperately need some vegetarian dishes that is easy to prepare on the braai. Any suggestions?

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Secrets to a great braii?

Unread post by RobertT » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:42 am

If it was hard wood, it does take a while for good coals, find for myself to try get coals a bit quicker you need a hot fire with wood as tightly packed as possible.
Also think part of the success is the time it takes, watching the fire gives you time to reflect and just do nothing, listen to nature sounds, or sit and have a conversation while waiting, it forces you to slow down.
To me the braai is more about the ritual than the actually cooking part.
As for the bbq vs skottel, think you guys have proper gas cookers that you bbq on, skottel is a round plough disc so we don't generally do steaks, wors etc on, for me it is used for frying, rather than a braai.

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by okie » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:53 pm

threedogs - some tips for those vegetarians at a braai - there's nothing wrong with them to braai something for themselves .
Wrap a butternut squash in tinfoil and nudge it into the coals .
It is great .
You can do all sorts of non-meat things like that when you braai .
Garlic bread wrapped in tinfoil , sweet potato with butter !
That's a yummy :tongue: .
In fact , sweet potato even not wrapped, but also nudged into the coals ( we call it an " aspatat " - direct translation " ash-sweetpotato" ) - when you eat it , you have to scrape the ash off it first - not so great tasting the ash-grit between your teeth :doh: but nevertheless very nice with butter :)
Then you can also braai corn-on-the-cob directly above the coals , or inside tin-foil - remember the butter . Or toast your bread above the fire - we call it braai-brood ( braai-bread ) .
And you can bake a "potbrood " in the braai - make bread-dough - you will need a recipe for that -use beer instead of yeast - into the pot- some coals on the lid - and bake away :doh:
And never ever forget about the liquid refreshments that go with the braai :naughty:
And good company also helps :roll:
Now enjoy 8)
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by okie » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:17 pm

safarigal wrote: .......... and after a while one would like something a little different, rather than steaks, boerewors, peri peri chicken or chops on the braai.

Safarigal - err... umm .... Saffies , never ever get tired of steaks , boerewors , chops , peri peri chicken ( or any other chicken ) on the braai :naughty:

The fire and the coals of a braai is the main essence, then the smell .
Either the smell coming from the wood/coals - different kinds of wood give off different aromas .
Then of course the smell from cooking food , directly off the flames or the coal - that's what make up the braai Plus of course , sharing it with some-one you care for over a drink :)
And if you do get tired of burning the meat , then cook it in a pan or a pot .
A three-legged cast-iron pot is great , or a flat-bottom cast-iron pot , or if necessary even those utensils supplied to you .
It does not matter , it is what you do with it .
But preferably cook with it on the open braai .
Recipes ?
Well , of that you will find many .
Amongst the books sold in the camps , you will certainly find something - give it a browse-around .
Then go and enjoy yourself :D
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Weltenman
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Weltenman » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:34 pm

Safarigal, my suggestion for the for meals without meat would be a pasta and sauce. You can easily cook the pasta and heat the sauce in the communal kitchens or your own little kitchenette. The space won't be too seriously taken up in your car and you can buy a nice and tasty pasta sauce beforehand from the bottle as well.
Study the past, if you would divine the future.
Confucius

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:31 pm

I think the forum members are great cooks and very creative in preparing good food in the Kruger outdoors :D . The vegetarian ideas and recipes sound brilliant even though I am not vegetarian. I am definitely going to try some of them - thanks :thumbs_up: . Does anyone know whether one can prepare a pudding over the coals or perhaps even have a recipe?
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

mel123
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: braai facilities

Unread post by mel123 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:24 am

For some delicious recipe ideas by forumites, take a look here http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=31&t=13486
There is no recipe book, unfortunately.

DrPhil

Re: braai facilities

Unread post by DrPhil » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:57 am

If you do use the wood option make your dinner plans so that you can only start to cook 2 hours after the fire is lit. That is if you make a proper fire, which is also something you have to do. You then give yourself 2 hours to just sit and chat about the day and listen to the evening sounds of the bush.

The lead-wood you can buy in the shops are very hard and make for great coals and great tasting meat. :thumbs_up:

Ps. Do not put your hand into the nice soft ashes the next morning as you are bound to find a red hot coal still smouldering in there. :naughty:
Not in Kruger.... Busy planning the next trip...

wachinda

Unread post by wachinda » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:58 am

Time to start planning Kruger menu. Fireside cooking without braaing every night. Maybe a fire made lasagne . What else do you make on the fire besides braaing
Berg-en-dal 18 October 2013
Satara 19-21 October 2013
Olifants 21-22 October
Balule 22-24 October2013
Tsendze 24-26 October2013
Punda Maria 26-28 October 2013

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by tent dweller » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:52 pm

We make a fire every night but do not always braai, I have a flat bottomed cast iron pot and when we do not want to have a braai, I make mince and pasta, or I make a stew with chicken breasts, baby potatoes, sliced fresh carrots, while that is simmering in the pot my daughter and I go to the communal kitchen to prepare some rice on the stove. Some nights we might have savoury biscuits, cheese, tinned mussels and slices of tomato
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

Return to “Kruger National Park”